Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Despite his "struggles", Hunter is 4th in the league in QB hurries (Z is 1st). If the scheme can be tweaked to make better use of him that would be scary.

That's why I hope it can.  What Donatell says makes sense because they certainly are getting hurries, but if the QB has the ability to get rid of it before they can get there then that's a problem.  It's just a question on whether those players in coverage have the ability to close the gaps so the QB can't.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Then the scheme needs to be adjusted to suit Hunter. You don’t get rid of a player of Hunter’s abilities to help the scheme. 

Plus, based on the contract information out there, moving Hunter just isn’t smart. 

Agreed. Good coaches scheme around their players. Of course, Donatell is extremely clueless and won't adjust to that. It's easier to find a remotely decent coordinator than it is to find an elite pass rusher. Moving Hunter would not be wise. 

Its worse than we thought. A few thoughts:

1. Ed is completely outmatched and runs the same thing every week. Teams have obviously clued in on this.

2. Communication between players needs to be better while on the field.

3. Ed is trying his best to fit a square peg into a circle hole. He refuses to put players in position to succeed.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Its worse than we thought. A few thoughts:

1. Ed is completely outmatched and runs the same thing every week. Teams have obviously clued in on this.

2. Communication between players needs to be better while on the field.

3. Ed is trying his best to fit a square peg into a circle hole. He refuses to put players in position to succeed.

If it’s truly stubbornness on Donatell’s part, I’d strangle that man until he does what I wanted him to. 

54 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Hard to compete in the playoffs with a bottom ten scoring defense. But to be fair the colts scored TDs off the offense and special teams this week. 

Sure, but they were bottom ten going into the game, not that the special teams and coaching did them any favors this week. Even a little. 

12 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Sure, but they were bottom ten going into the game, not that the special teams and coaching did them any favors this week. Even a little. 

Given the lack of draft capital and cap space, I have a hard time believing there will be much opportunity to really overhaul the defensive talent in just one year. The biggest change would come from a scheme change, just don’t know if they’d pull the trigger. Despite the big win, we still gave up 19 points at halftime (less the Punt block and Int TDs) to one of the worst offensive teams in football without their top RB. Simply unacceptable for a playoff team in December. Should be hitting our stride right now. Maybe this game is a wake up call to be more aggressive because that was needed to win in the end.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2