New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills Wild Card Round

The Third Rider

Why such hostilities towards Mac? Rookies improve you know, and it's impossible to tell just from their first year. Let me give you  a comparison: 

This is Mac's rookie numbers:

521 attempts, 67.6% completion percentage, 3,801 yards, 7.3 yards per pass,  22 TDs, 13 Interceptions, 92.5% QB Rating.

And these are the numbers of the guy on the video below from his rookie season:

575 attempts, 56.7% completion percentage, 3,739 yards, 6.5 yards per pass, 26 TDs, 28 Interceptions, 71.2% QB Rating

As you can see even from the video he didn't look like a world beater, in fact he looked absolutely abysmal on some of those plays, much worse then Mac. Look, I hated how we got embarrassed on national tv by the f****** Bills of all teams but Mac is just beginning his career and he has a lot he can improve on. Everyone is ready to claim that Mac has no ceiling but neither did Tom Brady, so out of all fan bases we should all know better. Of course Mac could be a total scrub and we might need to look for a replacement a couple of years down the line but all I am saying is that we cannot arrive at that conclusion from just his first season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Apparition said:

You didn't answer the question. In what ways is Joe Burrow more talented than Mac Jones?

If you watch this video..

and believe Mac would do the same (that tight tight window rope, the mobility run and throw, throw across body, the zip etc), then you're stark raving mad. I like Mac, I think he's put us well ahead of schedule, but Joe Burrow will be the best or 2nd best or 3rd best QB in the league in 5 years or so. 

Burrow

PFF Pass Grade Rank Adj Comp % Rank YPA Rank
Pressure w/blitz 70.2 9 77.8% 4 10.5 1
Pressure no blitz 53.5 17 69.2% 15 7.6 5

Mac is in 20s in both

"Burrow grades out as the league’s 12th-best passer with a still-gaudy 8.1 yards per attempt against these aforementioned two-high coverages; he’s the No. 1 passer against cover-3 and cover-1 looks,."

Against Cover 0 and 2 High Man-to-Man, he is 7.7 and 6.5 YPA respectively. 

here's Burrow's Chart in Week 18...Notice the amount on the outside,  advanced throws where you need perfect placement and strength. Can you see Jones doing this? 

pass-chart_BUR679731_2021-REG-17_1641159

This is Jones vs Buffalo, which I thought was a decent game from him ...

pass-chart_JON586540_2021-POST-19_164235

Some really good throws in there, similar to Joe's example above, but the scale is different league. Look at how Mac clearly favors one side as well. It's a pattern that he throws in similar spots, showing his limitations with arm talent. (But also our lack of talent on recieving)

The differences...arm strength, deep accuracy, zip, Mac has more limitations at this stage. Joe is also slightly more athletic and his throws on the run are incredibly accurate. We haven't really seen that yet

Yes their receiving corps is much better, but we have a better OL...

Anything to add @CP3MVP ? It's quite difficult to explain, but you know it when you watch both, right?

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If you watch this video..

and believe Mac would do the same (that tight tight window rope, the mobility run and throw, throw across body, the zip etc), then you're stark raving mad. I like Mac, I think he's put us well ahead of schedule, but Joe Burrow will be the best or 2nd best or 3rd best QB in the league in 5 years or so. 

Burrow

PFF Pass Grade Rank Adj Comp % Rank YPA Rank
Pressure w/blitz 70.2 9 77.8% 4 10.5 1
Pressure no blitz 53.5 17 69.2% 15 7.6 5

Mac is in 20s in both

"Burrow grades out as the league’s 12th-best passer with a still-gaudy 8.1 yards per attempt against these aforementioned two-high coverages; he’s the No. 1 passer against cover-3 and cover-1 looks,."

Against Cover 0 and 2 High Man-to-Man, he is 7.7 and 6.5 YPA respectively. 

here's Burrow's Chart in Week 18...Notice the amount on the outside,  advanced throws where you need perfect placement and strength. Can you see Jones doing this? 

pass-chart_BUR679731_2021-REG-17_1641159

This is Jones vs Buffalo, which I thought was a decent game from him ...

pass-chart_JON586540_2021-POST-19_164235

Some really good throws in there, similar to Joe's example above, but the scale is different league. Look at how Mac clearly favors one side as well. It's a pattern that he throws in similar spots, showing his limitations with arm talent. (But also our lack of talent on recieving)

The differences...arm strength, deep accuracy, zip, Mac has more limitations at this stage. Joe is also slightly more athletic and his throws on the run are incredibly accurate. We haven't really seen that yet

Yes their receiving corps is much better, but we have a better OL...

Anything to add @CP3MVP ? It's quite difficult to explain, but you know it when you watch both, right?

Fair enough, but these are still 2nd year tape versus rookie tape. Put on Burrow's rookie tape and it tells a different story. There were numerous instances where he was throwing floaters outside the numbers, including some that fell short of their targets. He improved considerably from year 1 to year 2, which is my point. Burrow had the same questions about his arm strength and athleticism last season, to the degree that people would frequently call him "Baby Arm Burrow," and look how he's playing now.

I'm urging patience with Jones for that reason. 

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 3

I'll take rookie Mac over rookie Burrow. And that was Burrow throwing to Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd. This year Burrow got Chase and an all around better team than the Patriots. I think these throwing charts would look pretty similar if Mac was in place of Burrow this year and even more similar if surrounded by the same cast going into his second season.

Edited by DoleINGout

On 1/19/2022 at 12:15 PM, Apparition said:

I'm urging patience with Jones for that reason. 

A lot of impatient people because of Belichick's mistakes and his inept staff. Jones was the best thing to happen to the Patriots in a while as much because of what it represents for the franchise with Kraft enforcing a new direction in the draft process as Mac Jones the person and player.

Did the Bills give Mac this much room to run? 

Mahomes does some magic but straight line speed he isn't actually that fast. He's agile and elusive as heck though. 

Will be worth noting if running a bit with the QB is a big way to go against this Bills defense. That is one area all season that I felt Mac missed out on .. he would always keep his eyes down field trying to throw ( which is great) but would then either throw it away or get sacked instead of trying to get 5-10 yards running it when teams backed off in coverage. Little things like that would help him the receivers get open down the field if they have to worry about Mac running for 5-10 

That game just showed how incredibly far away the Patriots are from championship contention lol 

BB needs a big defensive upgrade and the ability to drop 30 on teams in the playoffs. Man, that was an amazing game.. fun to enjoy a game like that and not have the stress of rooting for one fo the two teams haha

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

That game just showed how incredibly far away the Patriots are from championship contention lol 

BB needs a big defensive upgrade and the ability to drop 30 on teams in the playoffs. Man, that was an amazing game.. fun to enjoy a game like that and not have the stress of rooting for one fo the two teams haha

I said the same thing. Everyone is talking about “bright future”

The one bright side is just how damn entertaining the league is becoming. 5-10 years ago you had only a few good QB's and everyone was garbage. Now we can have games like this and they are incredible, so many good.. young QB's coming up in the league. 

You need an elite QB, great weapons and elite secondary to go back to dominating the playoffs... and even then you can still lose to a QB who goes off. 

Side note: will be interesting if Bills ownership goes crazy over Mcdermitt not squib kicking at the end of the game.. if they waste 3-5 seconds on that last kick, Mahomes never has enough time for that FG and Bills win the game.