New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills Wild Card Round

The Third Rider

Mac was fine...the one pick was a freak play, and he led well. He was let down a few times. 

Early in the season he had less than 2 seconds to react before eating dirt, in the middle chunk of the season people were talking about him not just as ROTY but in the top 15 of all QBs in the NFL, and he had a rough end to the season around about the time we started seeing A LOT more man coverage

The issue we have is not Mac, it can be protection at times and it's that we are easy to play against. Rewatch the games we lost, especially Miami. They stick to our receivers like crap on a blanket. How is he supposed to make plays?

Smith has been a disaster, he would have been exactly what I thought was needed - a box out YAC monster who you can move around. Now, we NEEEED an X type receiver. One where it doesn't matter if the CB is stuck to him. 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Mac was fine...the one pick was a freak play, and he led well. He was let down a few times. 

Early in the season he had less than 2 seconds to react before eating dirt, in the middle chunk of the season people were talking about him not just as ROTY but in the top 15 of all QBs in the NFL, and he had a rough end to the season around about the time we started seeing A LOT more man coverage

The issue we have is not Mac, it can be protection at times and it's that we are easy to play against. Rewatch the games we lost, especially Miami. They stick to our receivers like crap on a blanket. How is he supposed to make plays?

Smith has been a disaster, he would have been exactly what I thought was needed - a box out YAC monster who you can move around. Now, we NEEEED an X type receiver. One where it doesn't matter if the CB is stuck to him. 

Smith's usage this year was puzzling, and one of the few negatives about the season McDaniels put together this year. Overall, all things considered, I think he did a great job. But inexcusable to give Smith that contract, and not get him frequent touches. He'd get 1 end around a game and that was basically it. I read that the Patriots were 12 (two tight-end sets) minimally this year. To me, that makes no sense. Why wouldn't you want to get both TE's on the field as much as possible?

I see 3 areas that this team needs to improve if they want to be an actual contender. Which, remember, it's incredible that we're already having these discussions. If you zoom out and take the long view, I feel like they're head of schedule. I'm a believer in Mac, so, I feel like they've already got the hardest part (QB) taken care of.

1) Continue to add weapons around Mac. We need a legit #1 WR. I'd take two stabs at this in the draft.

2) Continue to get younger, and faster on defense. Let McCourty and Hightower walk. Add some speed on the defensive side of the ball.

3) Draft a long-term LT. We're probably stuck with Wynn next year given we picked up his option, but they need to draft and groom his eventual replacement. He's an average LT who is consistently injured and can't be relied upon.

I'm excited to see what they do this off-season.

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Again it’s not the rookies it’s the other QBs in this conference that this team will have to go through to get to the Superbowl. 

If Mac at his peak is the 6th best QB in the AFC that’s a problem. You’re not winning the AFC, you’re not even winning your division 

Teams have won Super Bowls with the likes of Joe Flacco, Eli Manning (TWICE!) and zombie Peyton Manning at the helm in recent years. Hard to rate any of those guys as being any better than 6th best in their conference at the time. If you want to overcome superior QB play on other teams, you have to build a defense that can neutralize at least some of that advantage. While your QB is still on his rookie deal, you have an opportunity to do that if you manage your roster and draft well. Once it's time for his 2nd contract, maybe you evaluate things differently and move on. But we've got another 4 years to make that judgment so it's really not worthwhile to rend garments over it right now.

29 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Teams have won Super Bowls with the likes of Joe Flacco, Eli Manning (TWICE!) and zombie Peyton Manning at the helm in recent years. Hard to rate any of those guys as being any better than 6th best in their conference at the time. If you want to overcome superior QB play on other teams, you have to build a defense that can neutralize at least some of that advantage. While your QB is still on his rookie deal, you have an opportunity to do that if you manage your roster and draft well. Once it's time for his 2nd contract, maybe you evaluate things differently and move on. But we've got another 4 years to make that judgment so it's really not worthwhile to rend garments over it right now.

Ok if we build one of the ten best defenses of all time like the 2015 Broncos we can win a title with the 6th best QB in the conference.

It should be noted that Denver had Homefield

Edited by CP3MVP

Just now, CP3MVP said:

Ok Mac will be the best QB in his conference like Tom Brady was.

he’s totally gonna be better than prime Mahomes burrow and Allen

What exactly is the big difference between Mac and Burrow, besides the latter having one of the best WRs in the league to throw to?

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

What exactly is the big difference between Mac and Burrow, besides the latter having one of the best WRs in the league to throw to?

This is the delusions I’m talking about from Patriots fans lol.

Edited by CP3MVP
  • Like 1

Mac is a young quarterback that still has plenty to learn, but he showed enough in his rookie season that he can be the long-term solution at the position. Pretty sure teams that go through quarterbacks like underwear (Denver for example) would be jealous.

• Like 1

My biggest concern with Mac is and always has been arm strength. I'm not talking about throwing down the field I'm talking about being able to throw in tight coverage. He doesn't have that right now, maybe he will develop it, but he doesn't have it right now.  

13 hours ago, biggie. said:

Mac is a young quarterback that still has plenty to learn, but he showed enough in his rookie season that he can be the long-term solution at the position. Pretty sure teams that go through quarterbacks like underwear (Denver for example) would be jealous.

Being better than the trash Denver has out at QB since 2014 isn’t an accomplishment