New England Patriots @ Buffalo Bills Wild Card Round

The Third Rider

1 minute ago, NFL Network said:

I don't like the Rams chances of going to Lambeau with a Matthew Stafford at QB. In reality I can't see anyone going to Lambeau & winning and thus why I say Packers out of the NFC. I hope I'm wrong though. 

GB vs BUF

A Question I have for some people here who watch a lot of the rest of the NFL: 

- It seems like the Patriots for years have had major issues with RPO's and Mobile QB's .. what are some defenses / schemes / players we can look at which excel against this that we can look at as reference? 

I assume that the issue is speed at LB but it may also be scheme related and some other teams with averaged speed LB's are able to play well against mobile QB's / RPO's. 

Just now, Hunter2_1 said:

Here they come..

Meyers is a 4th choice receiver, At best

yeah sure, being our most reliable receiver means he's actually **** because he doesn't catch touchdowns or something

bro it's actually ok to be useful in the league without being all world. meyers doesn't have to be the best receiver in the league to have a spot on this team. 

this forum is insufferable sometimes.

1 minute ago, Troy Brown said:

83 catches for 866 yards but needs to get cut because he isn't catching arbitrary touchdowns. mac jones threw 22 and 9 of them were to hunter henry but let's blame meyers for that

I don't think anyone hates Meyers, we just know what his ceiling is. He had 126 targets, over 17 games.. as the #1 WR option.. and didn't hit 1,000 yards. He is a nice possession receiver, a good guy to have as a reliable third down option.. but I'm much happier with him having half the targets over the course of a season. 

My biggest issue with Meyers is his possession mentality.. he doesn't try to get YAC and that's what Mac needs in this kind of short to intermediate offense to make big plays. I remember multiple interviews where he has stated that his job is to catch the ball and focus on ball security. That's "fine" .. but it isn't a guy you want to pay big money or attach yourself to long term. 

A 2nd round tender will have his salary jump to ~3-4M .. how much do you think he is worth? Do you want him to be a #1 option again then pay him 6-8M a year after that? I know I don't.. he just feels very replaceable. 

Not to mention he plays out of the slot, a position where most teams have speed guys who are too small to handle being on the outside. By putting a big, slow guy in that position you're losing opportunitiy for speed on your offense.. the thing this team needs the most. 

The best thing that could happen is BB puts a 2nd round tender on him and a contending team signs him .. but we all know nobody will ever do that. I wouldn't be surprised if BB even puts a cheaper tender on him knowing that nobody is going to sign him to a big money deal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I don't think anyone hates Meyers, we just know what his ceiling is. He had 126 targets, over 17 games.. as the #1 WR option.. and didn't hit 1,000 yards. He is a nice possession receiver, a good guy to have as a reliable third down option.. but I'm much happier with him having half the targets over the course of a season. 

My biggest issue with Meyers is his possession mentality.. he doesn't try to get YAC and that's what Mac needs in this kind of short to intermediate offense to make big plays. I remember multiple interviews where he has stated that his job is to catch the ball and focus on ball security. That's "fine" .. but it isn't a guy you want to pay big money or attach yourself to long term. 

A 2nd round tender will have his salary jump to ~3-4M .. how much do you think he is worth? Do you want him to be a #1 option again then pay him 6-8M a year after that? I know I don't.. he just feels very replaceable. 

Not to mention he plays out of the slot, a position where most teams have speed guys who are too small to handle being on the outside. By putting a big, slow guy in that position you're losing opportunitiy for speed on your offense.. the thing this team needs the most. 

The best thing that could happen is BB puts a 2nd round tender on him and a contending team signs him .. but we all know nobody will ever do that. I wouldn't be surprised if BB even puts a cheaper tender on him knowing that nobody is going to sign him to a big money deal. 

He can of course be upgraded. I do think there's a role for him on this team going forward. I don't think his role is exclusively in the slot. I think all of our receivers can be upgraded. It's not out of the question he improves with a better offense around him.  Who knows? I don't. I don't know what they'll do in regards to numbers and contracts, I don't pay as much attention to those things anymore. 

But to discredit our most reliable receiver because he doesn't catch touchdowns is so silly. It ain't fantasy football out there.