A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Setting someone up to fail and then firing them for doing better than anyone could have expected is not what I would consider being treated fairly. His prior credentials don't really matter in that instance. 

Paying someone any dollar amount doesn't make an act any better or worse. On top of that, even if he DID know what he was getting into, that's a terrible way to run an organization and an absolute disservice to the players and staff of that franchise. 

At any rate, you're welcome to your interpretation.

How did Culley not know that the Texans were a mess of an organization? Of course he knew. He knew what he was getting into. I’m not denying that the Texans are a poorly run organization, why do you think they couldn’t hire any real candidates. A 66 year old career positional coach doesn’t scream HC material. But come on, you knew he took a job no one else wanted. 

So I’m struggling to have sympathy here for a coach who got over hired, was paid $22m to deal with a crap organization in flux and ultimately knew he was going to be setup to fail. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

How did Culley not know that the Texans were a mess of an organization? Of course he knew. He knew what he was getting into. I’m not denying that the Texans are a poorly run organization, why do you think they couldn’t hire any real candidates. A 66 year old career positional coach doesn’t scream HC material. But come on, you knew he took a job no one else wanted. 

So I’m struggling to have sympathy here for a coach who got over hired, was paid $22m to deal with a crap organization in flux and ultimately knew he was going to be setup to fail. 

So your biggest issue is that he was paid well? Sorry, shelling out money doesn't absolve an organization of being unprofessional.

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Mike Tice calling his shot. 

I wouldn't be opposed to either, Hackett is a fringe top 3 candidate for me, but neither would excite me. Although any candidate will need to prove themselves on the field.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

So your biggest issue is that he was paid well? Sorry, shelling out money doesn't absolve an organization of being unprofessional.

I guess I don’t see what’s so unprofessional about firing a coach after one year. It happens often. Doesn’t mean that’s a correct way to run an organization, I just wouldn’t use the word unprofessional in this case. I don’t know what standard Culley was held to in terms of wins needed to keep his job. 

The more I read about these GM candidates that the team has requested interviews from, the more I’m surprised to see Doug Pederson continuously linked to the head coaching job. 

All 8 of the confirmed candidates are largely described as analytically minded. And that would make sense for the Wilfs who want a culture change in the building. But, as it pertains to Pederson, there were multiple pieces written after his firing that a big reason for his dismissal was the significant gap between him/his conventional thinking coach staff and the heavily influenced analytical front office/scouting department. Doesn’t exactly seem like a good fit to pair again. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I wouldn't be opposed to either, Hackett is a fringe top 3 candidate for me, but neither would excite me. Although any candidate will need to prove themselves on the field.

This may be an odd way to assess the top head coaching candidates, but I listened to each of the candidate’s press conferences (several on each candidate) and I came out most impressed with Hackett and Moore. I also thought Pederson and Leftwich were okay. 

Edited by marshpit23
Clean up wording
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not sure who Elias is, not sure if it’s been brought up yet:

Matt Campbell is an interesting name. Wasn’t he mentioned as potential NFL head coach material last year? Super bright mind and great communicator. I’m leery on the move from college to the NFL as it’s a whole different animal, but maybe he’s the guy that can be successful. 

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think the new staff would look to trade Mond for a draft pick, so that they could get "their guy"?

No. There’s nothing about Mond, or the investment the team has in Mond to suggest that any new staff couldn’t go get “their guy”.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think the new staff would look to trade Mond for a draft pick, so that they could get "their guy"?

No. Mond has very little trade value at this point. We have no idea what we have in Mond moving forward. And keeping/trading Mond doesn’t prevent you from getting your guy’.’

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Would? Maybe.

I still think that Mond is and should be treated as a high end backup. One of the big issues the Vikings have had since Case Keenum left, and honestly before that, they just got lucky with Keenum, is a lack of investment at backup QB. One of Kirk's best assets is staying healthy/on the filed but you're only one play away from a nightmare scenario. Having a backup QB at least capable of keeping you around .500 is worth a mid round pick every few years.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Not sure who Elias is, not sure if it’s been brought up yet:

This is a disaster waiting to happen. College coaches virtually never pan out in the NFL and I would guarantee we would be looking for another coach in 3 years. I know Iowa State doesn't attract the best prospects, but he isn't even that good of a coach at Iowa State. Sure, he is a phenomenal leader, but you need more than that to lead a team.

When's the last one that has panned out? Kingsberry has been mostly bad outside of this year, but even then his team has fizzled out in the second half of the year. Rhule sucks, Urban Meyer sucked, Doug Marrone, and Chip Kelly all sucked. You can even add Bill O'Brien to that list, who was good at first then ended being terrible and a laughing stock.  I think Jim Harbuagh is the last one that actually worked out. Even the greatest coach in college history, Nick Saban, sucked in the NFL.

If they were smart, they would steer clear of Campbell.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1