A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Big plus one from me. Kwesi #1 and Catherine #2. I agree with wanting a “rising star” on the operations side. Scouting side is important, but I want a business manager (making pure business decisions). Scouting is important but it can also be something that is outsourced as well. 

Not only can scouting he outsourced, it SHOULD be. I think a lot of old school GMs mess up by thinking they are the most experienced and know best, and override their scouting staff and pick players based of their gut and personal preference. You have a whole system of full time scouts for a reason.

I think the same can be said for a HC. A brilliant coordinator can he a terrible HC. Give me a HC that is a leader and build and sustain a team, not an offensive/defensive system. That is what your coordinators and positional coaches are for. 

Same reason you shouldn’t hire an engineer to lead your engineering department. Different skill set. 

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Not only can scouting he outsourced, it SHOULD be. I think a lot of old school GMs mess up by thinking they are the most experienced and know best, and override their scouting staff and pick players based of their gut and personal preference. You have a whole system of full time scouts for a reason.

I think the same can be said for a HC. A brilliant coordinator can he a terrible HC. Give me a HC that is a leader and build and sustain a team, not an offensive/defensive system. That is what your coordinators and positional coaches are for. 

Same reason you shouldn’t hire an engineer to lead your engineering department. Different skill set. 

I agree to a point with the HC.  The HC, in today's NFL, and in my opinion, should bring the offensive system.  Effective offensive systems have coordinators poached left and right (Shurmur, Stefasnki, etc) for head coaching positions.

Then it's on them to hire the OC to execute, tweak, and enhance the system.

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

What about when the scouts don't agree on a player?  The gm still has to make the final choice

23 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What about when the scouts don't agree on a player?  The gm still has to make the final choice

Director of College scouting probably make that decision. GM would decide which position is of more value if both players  are even at different positions.

I want a GM and HC with a good partnership. More importantly a GM and HC that will give this team an identity. What is this team know for? I know the like to run but even that doesn't feel like it's their actual identity.  Andre Patterson type of DE is the only thing where hey this is Viking type player an identity.

Edited by dc_vikingfan

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Now we obviously don’t know how much Rick leaned on / agreed with whatever the director of scouting says, but that’s part of the reasoning to hire football operations / business professional, who will generally accept/go with the recommended players (within a certain limit and position group). I want a GM focused on the larger picture, as opposed to the noks/cranies of college scouting. Trust the ppl who do it 365 days a year, not necessarily what you think after 60-90 days (part-time)..

For HC, I want a leader / game manager who understands game strategy, game management and can confidentially recognize and delegate to his coordinators what in-game adjustments should be made.  I don’t care if the HC comes from a background of Offense, Defence or Special teams. Sure I’d like a “friendly/people person” as well, but the former is miles more important to me. 

Edited by CriminalMind

On 1/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, vikingsrule said:

I’d think normally you’d want the GM to pick the head coach. So that position likely gets filled first if I has to guess.

This makes sense! Thank you!

Yeah, not a fan of any defensive coach. Todd Bowles has earned a second chance as a head coach somewhere, but I hope it's not with us. I am tired of the carousel of offensive coordinators that this team has year and year out. We would need that stability, especially if we end up drafting a QB imo.