2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

The best scenario is to trade back few spot (around 18-20) , add a 2025 1st round and 3r round 2024.

And trade back again ( bottom 1st ) to have a bottom 2nd rounder.

DT , TE and LB are the first target outside of QB.

Pray for 2025 1st round collect is a top 10 and select a QB 

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

The best scenario is to trade back few spot (around 18-20) , add a 2025 1st round and 3r round 2024.

And trade back again ( bottom 1st ) to have a bottom 2nd rounder.

DT , TE and LB are the first target outside of QB.

Pray for 2025 1st round collect is a top 10 and select a QB 

If we can make any trade that nets us a 2025 first we should do it. But the problem is, we'll need a team to be in love with a QB and willing to make that trade (or multiple teams). I'm not so sure that exists, but workouts haven't happened yet.

If Denver can end up with 4 picks in Rounds 1-3, I think that's a success. 

• Like 1

Trying to predict draft day trades is basically insane, but with that said, I think a trade down with the Packers for 25+41 makes a pile of sense. The value chart has it as a match, the Packers have a bunch of good solid talent across their roster with few stars, and they’ve got a bunch of picks. I could see them try to consolidate some of that depth for a big time talent. Their two top needs (apparently) are OT and CB: one of Fashanu/Alt/Latham will likely  be at 12, or that’s also where the top CB’s will start to have value. On our end, we could look at guys like Fautanu and Fuaga at 25, and the Texas DT’s at 41. 

Just spitballing

• Like 2

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

We don't have enough picks to address the needs of this team. I'd be shocked if we draft an OL early. Bolles and McGlinchey will almost certainly be the OTs come next season. We absolutely need to draft DL, but there's precisely one R1 prospect (Jerzhan Newton) and no one else. Without a R2 pick, we're not really in a great spot to address that position meaningfully unless we take Newton.

My vote is we either take QB or we trade back and amass as many picks as possible. It has to be one or the other. Allbright, who I don't really care for, seems convinced we're going to target a cost effective QB option like Garoppolo, which is possible the most boring and pointless addition ever. But if it allows us to trade back multiple times we should do it I guess.

I must admit I would feel less than enthused if we didn't make any trades, take Newton, and then an offensive tackle and niche role receiver or something that we could try to develop in the late draft. Then sign Jimmy G or something and try to properly retool next year. Granted it's not actually the WORST plan, it's just not sexy at all and wouldn't really match what management has done so far

1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

I must admit I would feel less than enthused if we didn't make any trades, take Newton, and then an offensive tackle and niche role receiver or something that we could try to develop in the late draft. Then sign Jimmy G or something and try to properly retool next year. Granted it's not actually the WORST plan, it's just not sexy at all and wouldn't really match what management has done so far

Boring but solid would please me just fine.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

We need to start drafting players that will play and contribute. This has been a significant issue for the Broncos compared to other teams in the league, IMO. I feel like we get very little contribution out of most of our higher draft picks for the first few years of their contracts, largely because they never seem to play.

This year's draft feels like it was centered on drafting ST contributors, and while that clearly helped bolster our ST performance, we didn't really get a lot offensively out of Mims, Moss barely played on defense, Sanders barely played. It's a running theme. We trade up for players and then simply don't play them.

Contrast this with the Rams, for example, who, despite having a lack of draft capital managed to find a bunch of regular contributors in the late rounds. Puka Nacua and Kyren Williams are a huge part of the reason the Rams were a playoff team.

Outside of some of the UDFA success stories, we have basically no late round contributors on this team. Having depth guys who aren't any good isn't the same as having meaningful depth from developing late round guys.

• Like 4

On 1/17/2024 at 10:37 AM, broncosfan_101 said:

Trying to predict draft day trades is basically insane, but with that said, I think a trade down with the Packers for 25+41 makes a pile of sense. The value chart has it as a match, the Packers have a bunch of good solid talent across their roster with few stars, and they’ve got a bunch of picks. I could see them try to consolidate some of that depth for a big time talent. Their two top needs (apparently) are OT and CB: one of Fashanu/Alt/Latham will likely  be at 12, or that’s also where the top CB’s will start to have value. On our end, we could look at guys like Fautanu and Fuaga at 25, and the Texas DT’s at 41. 

Just spitballing

Packers as trade candidates is a good find. Got me curious about other potential trade candidates who have additional picks in the mid rounds. 

Arizona might be another. In theory they have their QB and might be looking to tool up. They have 2 firsts (Houston's) and 3 thirds.  A trade down for 1.28 + 2.36 would be extremely enticing. 

Pittsburg has an additional 4th this year so might be willing to part with some picks to trade up for a QB or WR. Trade down for 1.20 + 2.52 could be possible. 

Houston still has additional picks in lower rounds (two 4ths and 7ths) that they could be willing to trade up using the cleveland pick too. Trade down for 1.23 + 2.59 + future 2nd? They'd probably have to love someone to do that. 

I'm not sure what the projected comp picks are supposed to look like this year but another things to keep an eye on which are going to have additional capitol. 

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

Man watching the young packers receivers (even their WR3 is better than our WR1), or how much pressure Kancey gets on that TB line, or Sewell's disgusting ability to move on Detroits O Line, really shows how truly average/bad we are in major areas. Sure we might have serviceable players, but they aren't difference makers. We gotta start hitting on some of our picks now that we have em again

• Like 4

I don't expect this to happen, but I would not be shocked if we were after Brock Bowers in the draft. I think it's very possible he lasts until 12, and he would seemingly solve a long-running issue we've had at that position. Would Payton make that pick? No idea. But he's been pretty vocal about the lack of TE talent and it could be a chance for us to snag an elite prospect. Bowers trumps Laporta as a prospect and look how successful he was. I'd love to have that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don't expect this to happen, but I would not be shocked if we were after Brock Bowers in the draft. I think it's very possible he lasts until 12, and he would seemingly solve a long-running issue we've had at that position. Would Payton make that pick? No idea. But he's been pretty vocal about the lack of TE talent and it could be a chance for us to snag an elite prospect. Bowers trumps Laporta as a prospect and look how successful he was. I'd love to have that.

Bowers is bad a$$.  Living in Atlanta, I watched nearly every UGA game, and was a huge reason they won back-to-back championships.  He came up big when they needed him whether it was a TD, a key block, or a reception.  I'd pick him in the top 5, if he is there at 12 there is no question they should pick him. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Of the 4 remaining teams, the worst starting TE among them is either Sam Laporta or Mark Andrews. Probably both top 5 TE’s in the league (I know, causation vs correlation, shut up @broncos_fan _from _uk). I think at non-primary positions like TE, RB, LB, S, the difference between an average player and a good player is extremely marginal in terms of value, but having an elite guy there (Hockensen, McCaffrey, Warner, Winfield, etc) is an absolute boon. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Of the 4 remaining teams, the worst starting TE among them is either Sam Laporta or Mark Andrews. Probably both top 5 TE’s in the league (I know, causation vs correlation, shut up @broncos_fan _from _uk). I think at non-primary positions like TE, RB, LB, S, the difference between an average player and a good player is extremely marginal in terms of value, but having an elite guy there (Hockensen, McCaffrey, Warner, Winfield, etc) is an absolute boon. 

Correct. And Payton has emphasized talent at the TE position. He had Graham for years, he hasn't been complementary of the players we do have. A good TE is a young/developing QBs best friend, but the same can be true for a veteran. I would be in favor of that because I think Bowers is an elite prospect at the position.

• Like 1

I think Bowers is special.   I also don't think he'll be there at 12 for us (and god no, we shouldn't trade up for a TE, no matter how great they could be).

Hot take - I predict Payton will either target Juwan Johnson in FA in 2025, or (ugh, wait for it), trade a day 3 pick for him this offseason.   Not that it should prevent DEN from considering on drafting a TE, but it's Payton-NO mode friendly, lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think Bowers is special.   I also don't think he'll be there at 12 for us (and god no, we shouldn't trade up for a TE, no matter how great they could be).

Hot take - I predict Payton will either target Juwan Johnson in FA in 2025, or (ugh, wait for it), trade a day 3 pick for him this offseason.   Not that it should prevent DEN from considering on drafting a TE, but it's Payton-NO mode friendly, lol. 

If he tests off the charts he won't be there at 12. But I also think teams may balk at taking a TE that high with the other positions on the board.

The earliest he might go is 5, but I think the Chargers have bigger issues and they have Everett at TE. Could certainly upgrade but a TE at 5 is steep.

Assuming no trades, the following teams won't take him : Chicago (at either pick), Washington, New England, Arizona, NYG, Tennessee, Atlanta, Minnesota. That leaves LAC and NYJ as two options before we pick. I think it's entirely realistic he's there at 12 if we want him.