2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

You mean the 23 year old Johnson who couldn't get playing time for the Bulldogs on that line...

I mean the Johnson that had 12 sacks last year, not the Walker that only had 6 last year and only 10 in his whole college career.

Listen I’m not preaching I want Johnson. I’ve stated how I don’t like his age. But I’d rather add a guy who’s talent is actually worth the draft spot but age is a concern than a guy that’s only shot up draft boards bc he moved good for his size at the combine with no production with great players all around him.

I absolutely hate it when guys fly up boards bc of the combine.

54 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean the Johnson that had 12 sacks last year, not the Walker that only had 6 last year and only 10 in his whole college career.

Listen I’m not preaching I want Johnson. I’ve stated how I don’t like his age. But I’d rather add a guy who’s talent is actually worth the draft spot but age is a concern than a guy that’s only shot up draft boards bc he moved good for his size at the combine with no production with great players all around him.

11.5 sacks in the ACC as a super senior not playing SEC competition...there is a difference and Walker was regulated to playing inside most of the season and was a junior. As a junior Johnson couldn't even see the field and transferred because he was not good enough to start on the DL Walker was a part of. They are not the same. This is not Vernon Gholsten. Walker actually has a motor, can stop the run and has real high potential as a pass rusher playing exclusively on the edge. I do agree though...combine warriors are scary, but Johnson is not much different. He was a 2nd round pick until the Senior Bowl and Combine as well. I'd go with the younger, better athlete who didn't have to transfer. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

11.5 sacks in the ACC as a super senior not playing SEC competition...there is a difference and Walker was regulated to playing inside most of the season and was a junior. As a junior Johnson couldn't even see the field and transferred because he was not good enough to start on the DL Walker was a part of. They are not the same. This is not Vernon Gholsten. Walker actually has a motor, can stop the run and has real high potential as a pass rusher playing exclusively on the edge. I do agree though...combine warriors are scary, but Johnson is not much different. He was a 2nd round pick until the Senior Bowl and Combine as well. I'd go with the younger, better athlete who didn't have to transfer. 

He was forced inside when they have Davis and Wyatt? Come on. They chose to play him inside. They had 2 of the best IDLineman in NCAA, he didn’t need to play inside.

If you ask me he was playing inside bc he wasn’t getting it done on the edge and that’s where they could work him in more. 

24 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Their is some validity to the question about Johnson not being able to get PT at Georgia because the coaches thought guys like Walker and Adam Anderson and Ojulari and Nolan Smith were better

It could be the coaches were wrong. I’m not the biggest fan of JJ, but his production was certainly better than Walker’s.

Is Gase on Georgia’s coaching staff?

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

It could be the coaches were wrong. I’m not the biggest fan of JJ, but his production was certainly better than Walker’s.

UGA ran 3-4 scheme but they favored smaller LBs first so JJ was kind of their big lb and because of it, he saw a little action on the field. 

After he transferred to FSU where he could play full time at DE in 4-3.

I think.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Yeah people say they don’t want another Gholston(and I’m not saying Walker is Gholston at all) but the guy who shoots up after the combine is someone you need to ask yourself, why didn’t I feel this way before the combine about him.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Well they did win the National Championship with one of the greatest D’s off all time, so hard to question the staff

2 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Well they did win the National Championship with one of the greatest D’s off all time, so hard to question the staff

No doubt they are good. Just throwing out an alternative reason for JJ’s lack of playing time vs others that were less productive. King made a good point. 

6 hours ago, xrade said:

Which is what prompted this discussion.  Does JD value a WR at 10 this year?  His actions in trying to trade for an established star may suggest he does not.  Couple that with the data and it may be a dicey choice this year as there are no Chase's or Waddle's.  Just a lot of decent WR that in some years (like last year) would probably fall to round 2.  I wonder where Moore would have ranked in this WR draft class?

The key being ‘this year’ -- I doubt Douglas values WR in the top-10 generally, barring a Julio or Chase level prospect. There isn’t a Chase… probably not a Waddle or Smith either. And I agree, if there was a clear cut option we wouldn’t be having this conversation; JD wouldn’t be looking to make a move... But, this draft is thin at the top, it's still a premier position, and with so much riding on Wilson, it's arguably our biggest need.

Part of the problem, there doesn't seem to be any solidified pecking order -- Wilson and London appear to the favorites, but legitimate arguments are still being made for Olave, Williams and even Burkes. That disparity likely haunts Joe. Moore was less his pick than he was a favorite of the coaching staff/scouting department. Without that continuity, his job becomes a helluva a lot harder.

Tough call re Moore. I'm not a draft expert by any stretch, so would be interested in what others think. I was high on him though, thought he was the 4th WR behind Chase, Waddle and Smith. Wilson is the only guy this year I've really bought in on to this point.