Offseason - Around the NFL

WizardHawk

40 minutes ago, Northland said:

I have no faith in the Jones family to ever produce a winner and it's developments like this that make me shake my head.  Does the salary cap actually exist?

Not really. At least, it isn't as stringent as some make it to be. If a team wants to get a guy, they can and can manipulate the cap as they need to. 

Look at New Orleans. Everyone said they were in "cap hell", but they were able to free up $90MM in cap space - without losing any key players.

The fact is Stephen is going to be extremely cheap and already showing agents are going to not want to work with him. I don't doubt his reluctance to add talent to this team to get them over the hump is going to drive away key players, and once Dak leaves after his current contract (because he will, and I can't blame him)...unless this team can luck into a good QB again, the franchise will go back to those post-Aikman days for a long, long time. 

19 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don’t think you can look at this as just a dollars and cents thing. The Vikings are now running a 3-4 and have two coaches in which Smith’s career took off.  

Seems obvious Minnesota is the better fit.

I can almost guarantee like most teams in the NFL, they operate more commonly out of their nickel defense than strictly a 3-4 base. Just as the Cowboys do. 

You get good players and fit your scheme around them, not the opposite. This whole train of thought led them to passing on T.J. Watt for Taco Charlton. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

I can almost guarantee like most teams in the NFL, they operate more commonly out of their nickel defense than strictly a 3-4 base. Just as the Cowboys do. 

You get good players and fit your scheme around them, not the opposite. This whole train of thought led them to passing on T.J. Watt for Taco Charlton. 

I get this. I get there is a strong possibility that Dallas played it cheap here too.  The point is some level of familiarity has to be taken into account  as well. Smith has connections with new Minnesota staff and that may have played a role.

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Couple with the draft capital, this is doubling down on stupid. 

They gave up the draft capital equivalent of the 14th overall pick for the most dynamic weapon in football.

It’s a lot of money, but if any non-QB is nearly worth it, it’s Hill. So what if they overpaid by the equivalent of a Dorance Armstrong? Plus, as has been mentioned as nauseam in this thread, you can alway make it work with the cap.

I love it for Miami. Hate it for the Chiefs.

Really, I don’t see this as a trade that improves either team.  But, with all the draft capital, I suppose KC at least has the opportunity to improve.  But, taking away Mahomes biggest threat that opens the field for everyone else not to mention his guy that can catch a pass behind the LOS and fairly regularly turn it into a fist down is a huge loss schematically to the chiefs.  I just see it as creating a hole where there wasn’t one.

But for the dolphins, now they have 2 burners at WR but so many other holes on offense that what does an extra burner really give them?  And losing all the draft capital doesn’t help fix their much more serious roster holes.

• Like 1