AP: Kelce named 1st team All-Pro; Lane 2nd team

Kiltman

15 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Diggs getting AP is insane. Dude gave up like 1000 yards this year. 

Been calling him overrated for a while now. I'll give him credit for not dropping the ball but that's about it. Dude just isn't a real corner. Biggest farce of 1st team all pro corner maybe ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I legit forgot we drafted Jordan Poyer, who's now a first team All-Pro safety.

Didn’t we play him at corner? That might’ve been part of the problem.

I also don’t get why you draft a guy in the 7th round and then cut him not even half way through his rookie season. Like you clearly saw something in Poyer to draft him and then saw enough in camp for him to make the team. I just don’t get it. Sometimes we give up on players too soon. Like there was no reason for us to cut Douglas and Jones at the same time a couple years ago. Neither of them were really given honest shots to prove themselves or develop. Hopefully this staff can develop secondary talent.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I also don’t get why you draft a guy in the 7th round and then cut him not even half way through his rookie season. Like you clearly saw something in Poyer to draft him and then saw enough in camp for him to make the team. I just don’t get it. Sometimes we give up on players too soon. Like there was no reason for us to cut Douglas and Jones at the same time a couple years ago. Neither of them were really given honest shots to prove themselves or develop. Hopefully this staff can develop secondary talent.

Poyer also played CB for the Browns after he was with the Eagles. So at least we weren't the only team who failed to see his potential at Safety but it's still not a good look. Over the past 15-20 years, the Eagles have been awful at developing talent at CB. Douglas and Jones failure to develop here was due to Schwartz's stubbornness. He put CBs on island with no safety help or just a single high safety 95% of the time. He refused to play to his players strengths. We finally moved Mills to safety in their final year with the team. I have no idea why Douglas wasn't given a chance at Safety or why we couldn't play more 2 deep so Douglas could show case his ball skills and physicality. Douglas was always going to fail with the Eagles as long as they forced him to consistently cover receivers down the field by himself. Honestly, I think Schwartz is/was one of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Honestly, I think Schwartz is/was one of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league

The only singular reason he's not considered a joke is the fact he was the DC of the 2017 SB Champs.

Otherwise people would realized what he was, a GD Joke!

For as much 💩 as we give Gannone about bend don't break, completetion %, ect. The main difference is Big Plays Allowed!  Schwartz was so obsessed leaving CB on an island , this happened regularly. 

Gannon is the utter opposite. I would love to know what Rasul, Sidney and Jordan could of done as players in his scheme?

Edited by Nabbs4u

23 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:
34 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Honestly, I think Schwartz is/was one of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league

The only singular reason he's not considered a joke is the fact he was the DC of the 2017 SB Champs.

For as much 💩 as we give Gannone about bend don't break, completetion %, ect. The main difference is Big Plays Allowed!  Schwartz was so obsessed leaving CB on an island , this happened regularly. 

Gannon is the utter opposite. I would love to know what Rasul, Sidney and Jordan could of done as players in his scheme?

Jim was a solid DC. Let's not forget what things were like prior to him showing up.
He wasn't perfect, but no DCs are. It's incredibly rare to coach a top defense every year.
The league is built to favor the O, teams have a whole offseason to figure you out. Unless you are just very gifted at scheme and build your roster for versatility (see Pats), you probably won't keep a top D very long unless you have a few generational type talents.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Poyer also played CB for the Browns after he was with the Eagles. So at least we weren't the only team who failed to see his potential at Safety but it's still not a good look. Over the past 15-20 years, the Eagles have been awful at developing talent at CB. Douglas and Jones failure to develop here was due to Schwartz's stubbornness. He put CBs on island with no safety help or just a single high safety 95% of the time. He refused to play to his players strengths. We finally moved Mills to safety in their final year with the team. I have no idea why Douglas wasn't given a chance at Safety or why we couldn't play more 2 deep so Douglas could show case his ball skills and physicality. Douglas was always going to fail with the Eagles as long as they forced him to consistently cover receivers down the field by himself. Honestly, I think Schwartz is/was one of the most overrated defensive coordinators in the league. 

Happy Sunday Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I can sort of get over it at times cause ya know, NFL rostering is tough but I look around and see all these project players that just continue to stick around for years on end. I don’t know if it’s Howie’s babies or double standards or what but frustrating for sure. 

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It really seems like at least Douglas would have been able to be a quality CB for us under Gannon. I don't doubt we could have gotten something out of Jones as well but  Douglas has especially shown he is a playmaker he just didn't have the ability to consistently carry his man down the field without help and we made him do it too often. In the right scheme, Douglas clearly has value.

19 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Jim was a solid DC. Let's not forget what things were like prior to him showing up.
He wasn't perfect, but no DCs are. It's incredibly rare to coach a top defense every year.
The league is built to favor the O, teams have a whole offseason to figure you out. Unless you are just very gifted at scheme and build your roster for versatility (see Pats), you probably won't keep a top D very long unless you have a few generational type talents.

I can't give Schwartz credit for being an improvement over Billy Davis. Schwartz had some good qualities and I have soft spot for him because of the SB run. However, I definitely don't think he was ever in the upper echelon of DCs by any means and he's sometimes talked about as if he was. Also, I would suggest Schwartz had a lot to work with with the Eagles and I don't know that he got the best out of them. I think Schwartz was average to decent as DC because he wasn't able to be flexible with his scheme. How many times do you have to see a corner get beat with double moves in Cover 3 before you alter your scheme.  Especially when you have players like Mills and Douglas who profile better as Cover 2 corners (Or as Free Safeties in a Cover 3) and you're forcing them to run lockdown 1/3 of the field. I just don't think he is deserving of the reverence some people have towards him, not saying he was terrible.