2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

11 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I’m curious how a guy like DeVonta would help him.

I just don't want any more head cases with questionable work ethic which apparently he to has red flags with. While I'd hope Smitty can help him, its not his responsibility. 

I want WR's with the same mindset and preferably skillset as Smitty. Build a WR corps of that and see if it works. 

That said,  Pickens could be special or just as easily the next Justin Blackmon.

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Hope the Saints sign him to a deal I wouldn’t have been comfortable giving him and Eagles fans can finally once and for all shut up about him! 🙏🏻🤞🏻

Can we even afford him after the AJ Brown contract? 

41 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can we even afford him after the AJ Brown contract? 

Thought I read somewhere that the AJs deal kicks in after this season and this season he's getting roughly 4 million. If that is true then Howie shouldn't have an issue. 

If we can't land him then maybe Clark from the Ravens. They said they were shopping him during the draft night 2 I believe it was said

29 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If we can't land him then maybe Clark from the Ravens. They said they were shopping him during the draft night 2 I believe it was said

I’d like Clark cause he’s cheap, but he’s a strong safety and isn’t that what we already have with an aging Harris and Epps? Harris was better last year closer to the LOS and Epps was great as a tackler coming downhill.

We really badly need a free safety with great range which is why I wanted Marcus Williams in FA and then Daxton Hill in the draft.

The problem is those guys aren’t out there on the open market and teams likely aren’t trading you those guys. I wonder if we are gonna try and move a corner to FS. Didn’t Kary Vincent who we traded for last year play a little safety at LSU? He’s kinda small, but yeah. We probably should move him there this off-season cause we don’t have good options at FS.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I’d like Clark cause he’s cheap, but he’s a strong safety and isn’t that what we already have with an aging Harris and Epps? Harris was better last year closer to the LOS and Epps was great as a tackler coming downhill.

We really badly need a free safety with great range which is why I wanted Marcus Williams in FA and then Daxton Hill in the draft.

The problem is those guys aren’t out there on the open market and teams likely aren’t trading you those guys. I wonder if we are gonna try and move a corner to FS. Didn’t Kary Vincent who we traded for last year play a little safety at LSU? He’s kinda small, but yeah. We probably should move him there this off-season cause we don’t have good options at FS.

Everything you said is pretty spot on. Clark would be here longer then Harris so that's a plus. Also like you said he's cheap. FS is a big hole but it seems Gannon is changing quite a bit from last year's DEF. 

Mathieu would be the guy I'd mainly target but my backup would be Clark and figure the rest out later approach. 

I'd also probably try a few of these CBs towards the backend of the roster out at FS if possible. Kary may be the best choice

Edited by EaglesFlySBChampsHigh

42 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Everything you said is pretty spot on. Clark would be here longer then Harris so that's a plus. Also like you said he's cheap. FS is a big hole but it seems Gannon is changing quite a bit from last year's DEF. 

Gannon played 2 high a lot last year with the safeties really deep, cause he couldn’t trust them. No offense to Harris and McLeod, but they don’t have the range they used to when they were younger. Our safeties being so deep made it harder to beat us over the top, but it also made it easier to beat us over the middle and on short to intermediate. I wonder with our current personnel if we are gonna have to do that again this year. It’s not ideal for me, but I would understand it from Gannon’s perspective as much as it wouldn’t be fun to see teams do what they did against us last year in terms of completion percentage.

Mathieu would be the guy I'd mainly target but my backup would be Clark and figure the rest out later approach. 

Mathieu would be better at FS stuff than what we have, but he’s at his best when he can be allowed to free lance and use his instincts to make plays in the box and slot. I’d welcome Tyrann at the right price. He was one of my favorite players back at LSU. Dude was a ton of fun to watch play the position, but he doesn’t necessarily perfectly match up to be in that role as it doesn’t maximize his skill set really, but I mean we are kind of low on options. Beggars can’t be choosers.

I'd also probably try a few of these CBs towards the backend of the roster out at FS if possible. Kary may be the best choice

Yeah, I checked Kary’s draft profile and it did say he played some FS for them at LSU. I’d have to check some of our other corners to see if they have some safety background. Another option possibly would be to move Maddox from the slot to a FS role. Remember he played a bit of a FS his rookie year for us before transitioning back to corner. We have a bunch of slot options on the roster, so we could move one of them in there if we need to as well. I’m not saying I’d move Maddox again after a good year in the slot, but it’s food for thought.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

26 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Gannon played 2 high a lot last year with the safeties really deep, cause he couldn’t trust them. No offense to Harris and McLeod, but they don’t have the range they used to when they were younger. Our safeties being so deep made it harder to beat us over the top, but it also made it easier to beat us over the middle and on short to intermediate. I wonder with our current personnel if we are gonna have to do that again this year. It’s not ideal for me, but I would understand it from Gannon’s perspective as much as it wouldn’t be fun to see teams do what they did against us last year in terms of completion percentage.

Mathieu would be better at FS stuff than what we have, but he’s at his best when he can be allowed to free lance and use his instincts to make plays in the box and slot. I’d welcome Tyrann at the right price. He was one of my favorite players back at LSU. Dude was a ton of fun to watch play the position, but he doesn’t necessarily perfectly match up to be in that role as it doesn’t maximize his skill set really, but I mean we are kind of low on options. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Yeah, I checked Kary’s draft profile and it did say he played some FS for them at LSU. I’d have to check some of our other corners to see if they have some safety background. Another option possibly would be to move Maddox from the slot to a FS role. Remember he played a bit of a FS his rookie year for us before transitioning back to corner. We have a bunch of slot options on the roster, so we could move one of them in there if we need to as well. I’m not saying I’d move Maddox again after a good year in the slot, but it’s food for thought.

Yeah Mathieu would be out of place some but it's def the best option on the market. Only other option besides in house is via trade. Not sure if anyone is available though. Don't think Howie wants to move future draft capital yet. 

Yeah I watched Kary some at LSU. 

If no signing or trades then guess we'll see pretty quickly if this plan has failed. The fans seem to be in sync with this unit isn't good enough but Howie seems to be more then happy with it. Here's to hoping Harris and Epps hold it down. Hopefully Wallace can give us our money's worth too

21 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yeah Mathieu would be out of place some but it's def the best option on the market. Only other option besides in house is via trade. Not sure if anyone is available though. Don't think Howie wants to move future draft capital yet. 

I'm okay not signing Mathieu unless he's come down dramatically from what he was probably asking for.

I think he'll probably sign on the dotted line with the Saints to be home anyways.

23 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

If no signing or trades then guess we'll see pretty quickly if this plan has failed. The fans seem to be in sync with this unit isn't good enough but Howie seems to be more then happy with it. Here's to hoping Harris and Epps hold it down. Hopefully Wallace can give us our money's worth too

I wouldn't say Howie is happy with it. I heard what he said in the presser, but I think he's putting up a front. He just knows we are limited money wise right now and even next year we aren't gonna be one of the teams in the best shape money wise either. Saving some of the cap space to roll over to next year might help though. I'm sure we'll make some signings in the secondary probably with vets that wanna come for cheap like Steven Nelson did, but not sure we are gonna sign a guy like Mathieu to the fans dismay.

IF we had a good QB, I’d be pounding the table to improve this secondary w/ established starters via trade or Matthieu, but I don’t think we’re quite in that stage yet where we have a “window” and can’t afford to waste any time, not when our QB is a question mark.

If Howie and co trust some of these young kids to fill in the holes in our secondary, I’m fine with it. No better way to figure out what we have in McPherson/Tay/KVon than throwing them in the fire. Mid season acquisitions always an option if we look like our secondary play is all that’s holding us back.

• Like 3

We have a lot of guys at Corner who could be something, but who knows frankly. I think there's a good chance ONE of them will step up, but which one?

1. Zech McPherson
2. Tay Gowan
3. Kary Vincent
4. Josh Jobe
5. Mario Goodrich

The betting favorite would be Zech.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

We have a lot of guys at Corner who could be something, but who knows frankly. I think there's a good chance ONE of them will step up, but which one?

1. Zech McPherson
2. Tay Gowan
3. Kary Vincent
4. Josh Jobe
5. Mario Goodrich

I like Goodrich as a dark horse man, he's gotten a ton of good reviews. Kempski put out all that good film from Zech's rookie year and I'm intrigued by him. Gowan was another guy a lot of ppl were high on. Don't know much about Vincent, but Jobe is another guy who you'll find as a 4th/5th rounder on some lists.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

1 hour ago, Danger said:

1. Zech McPherson
2. Tay Gowan
3. Kary Vincent
4. Josh Jobe
5. Mario Goodrich

I think Gowan is the best of the bunch. Jobe to S makes sense. Kary is pure toast imo. Would like to see Goodrich compete at slot CB. Got no hope for Zech tbh, but we'll see. Hopefully he's a competent backup #2 CB.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1