2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

36 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Under no circumstances will Jalen Hurts be a better quarterback than Lamar Jackson

MVP year Lamar, probably not. Every other year Lamar? maybe. Lamar is chocolate Wentz. One good year. We're all hoping Jalen can throw for 4000 yards, particularly with the extra game? Lamar has thrown over 3000 just once, and just barely. They will probably finish with around the same throwing stats, but Hurts should finish with better passing stats, considering the teams we will be playing and the weapons he gets to work with vs the Lamar and Mark Andrews show and their schedule of defenses. Hurts might actually be a better passing QB if he takes another step. I think Lamar is what he is at this point, but Hurts could take one more step, and if it's a giant step- he'll be the better QB this year (statistically and eye-ball test). If it's just a baby step, then Hurts is basically Lamar with a weaker arm and less breakaway speed, but better at power running near the goal line. aka lesser-armed Cam Newton. You are probably right though. He won't be noticeably better than Lamar, but will likely be same tier.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Lamar Jackson and Carr are doable for him to pass. I'm not a big Carr guy tho. Think he's very overrated. He's a great every other game kind of QB imo.

The rest I agree might be hard for him to pass them. He'd need to have a 38+ Total TD season most likely

I'd say Jackson, Carr and Murray are the players that I can at least imagine Hurts could have a better season than of that group. By no means do I see it as likely. This would only bring Hurts to 11 overall though. I don't see Hurts being better than the players in the tier I ranked him AND better than Jackson, Carr, Murray and another one of the top QBs as well. That just doesn't seem to be a very likely outcome to me even if I would love it if it happened.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Julian Lurie takes a front office role officially.

I wonder how long until he takes over as owner.

Yeah, its been talked about on the Inside the Birds pod that this was gonna happen.

Julian also sat in on the coaching interviews (like Sirianni) in 2021.

After graduating from Harvard he went into a Junior rotational program for 2 years studying in different departments at the league office.

I think its incredibly smart how Lurie has been grooming him for when/if he wants to take over he can hit the ground running. I'm sure that won't be for a minute, but I've really enjoyed having Lurie as the owner. Only owner I've known as an Eagles fan and he's easily been the best one in the NFCE and probably one of the better ones in the league at large. I'm happy it looks like we can continue having a good owner for the foreseeable future.

I'm also mad jealous of Julian as is every other die hard Eagles fan I'm sure lol.

2 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Lamar Jackson and Carr are doable for him to pass. I'm not a big Carr guy tho. Think he's very overrated. He's a great every other game kind of QB imo.

The rest I agree might be hard for him to pass them. He'd need to have a 38+ Total TD season most likely

I'd say Jackson, Carr and Murray are the players that I can at least imagine Hurts could have a better season than of that group. By no means do I see it as likely. This would only bring Hurts to 11 overall though. I don't see Hurts being better than the players in the tier I ranked him AND better than Jackson, Carr, Murray and another one of the top QBs as well. That just doesn't seem to be a very likely outcome to me, even if I would love it if it happened.

39 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I'd say Jackson, Carr and Murray are the players that I can at least imagine Hurts could have a better season than of that group. By no means do I see it as likely. This would only bring Hurts to 11 overall though. I don't see Hurts being better than the players in the tier I ranked him AND better than Jackson, Carr, Murray and another one of the top QBs as well. That just doesn't seem to be a very likely outcome to me even if I would love it if it happened.

I can see both arguments. Really comes down to who believes in hurts more. There's the believers, the he'll be solid or hurts sucks crowds

Man, yeah thank god they didn’t blow this whole thing up for Deshaun Watson. Things looking like they might be getting worse there. His lawyer decided to move the goal post and say that happy endings to massages aren’t necessarily illegal (they are in most of the country) on top of the one or two new accusations to come out….and that he tried to do ay the majority of them off.

This is kind of huge news to most Eagles fans who didn't realize this last year. I usually feel like I'm pretty up to date on everything, but I had no clue Steichen took over play calling for Sirianni last year like midway through the year. I'm not sure why if Sirianni mentioned it in passing last year that the media didn't talk about it more.

If I had to guess when the change was made it was probably after the bad loss against the Raiders in week 7 going into week 8 against the Lions when we went run heavy and demolished them. No offense to Nick cause I know he was in his first year ever really calling plays, but those first 7 weeks were ROUGH. Both our first year play callers were rough last year in Sirianni in the early season and Gannon.

Steichen had a little bit of offensive coordinator experience with the Chargers when he took over midway through the 2019 season when Ken Whisenhunt was fired and then was the full time OC in 2020. Funny thing is Chargers fans told us he sucked just like they told us Frank Reich sucked lol. 

And, while Sirianni having a rough start to the year record wise and play calling wise in his 1st year isn't ideal. I give him a lot of credit for not being egotistical and taking a step back and letting his coordinator take over play calling, so he could be more hands on elsewhere with coaching up the players and other coaches on game days.

Here is some more stuff from Steichen:

Y'all gonna love this.....

Tighter/faster delivery mechanics from Jalen.

In even the short hype video clips where you got a glimpse of him throwing you could see his mechanics looked better, but obviously this isn't something that is gonna change overnight and it has to be ingrained in him through constant repitition. The true test will be when bullets start flying and guys can hit him if those mechanics stay the same or if he reverts back. Still with that said its great to see that the work he was putting in with the throwing coaches this off-season was real and he's been trying to improve in areas that needed cleaning up.

From watching the Eagles presser with the players AJ Brown said the first pass deep Hurts threw to him he joked around early on that he had to break it up cause he would never hear the end of it from Slay if he didn't and he said after that throw he went to Jalen and told him, "Anything you do... just overthrow me. Ya know? I'm gonna clear them late as I did and he overthrew me. We are still working and trying to get on the same page and going in the right direction, so its a positive.

So, this one was the throw Brown mentioned where Hurts overthrew him instead of not putting enough on it. 

That's about it on Hurts from the Eagles first practice of the year open to the media. Good start.

• Like 1

Besides Jalen Hurts being a bright spot. The other big bright spot from today was DeVonta Smith.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

While WR1 and WR2 were there.... WR3-5 were absent.

It's voluntary, so not really a big deal, but obviously you would like everyone to be there.

Don't really care about the long time vets missing. Would've preferred Reddick be there since its his first year on the team, but yeah. Kinda weird he named Mailata since he was in the picture that was taken pre-practice with the anti gun violence shirts and jerseys.

Gotta love having a good owner who cares about on the field and off the field. 

That's my teams owner! *sheds tear behind shades*

I don't think White is gonna be starting over Dean, but yeah.

It's ESP, so take it with a grain of salt, but JJAW's weight is up to 237 on the Eagles website now.

Speaking of tight ends, even though he isn't practicing, cause it hasn't even been 6 months yet.

Still nice to see Tyree Jackson back out there.

Davis looking trim, but still an absolute unit.

Jordan was asked about his weight and if he's still working his way down at his presser and he said "Yeah. I mean I think I'm looking a little bit slimmer. I look in the mirror like 'damn... I'm getting toned like my arm muscles are looking good. Ya know? My mom say I'm slimming down. My face getting slimmer."

He also added "Keeping in mind I'm getting paid to do what I do. I'm getting paid to be at my peak. Just working down... cutting down... you can't just go out and eat everything in the world. You have to have everything in a little moderation."

Also, mentioned the best food item he had in Philadelphia was canolis from Dante & Luigis and that they are "to die for" lol. Said that he can't go back to Charlotte or Athens to have a canoli, because this is "the standard". 

Gotta love him lol.

Guessing McPhearson was working as the slot with the 2nd team.

Spongebob GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

This is kind of huge news to most Eagles fans who didn't realize this last year. I usually feel like I'm pretty up to date on everything, but I had no clue Steichen took over play calling for Sirianni last year like midway through the year. I'm not sure why if Sirianni mentioned it in passing last year that the media didn't talk about it more.

If I had to guess when the change was made it was probably after the bad loss against the Raiders in week 7 going into week 8 against the Lions when we went run heavy and demolished them. No offense to Nick cause I know he was in his first year ever really calling plays, but those first 7 weeks were ROUGH. Both our first year play callers were rough last year in Sirianni in the early season and Gannon.

Steichen had a little bit of offensive coordinator experience with the Chargers when he took over midway through the 2019 season when Ken Whisenhunt was fired and then was the full time OC in 2020. Funny thing is Chargers fans told us he sucked just like they told us Frank Reich sucked lol. 

And, while Sirianni having a rough start to the year record wise and play calling wise in his 1st year isn't ideal. I give him a lot of credit for not being egotistical and taking a step back and letting his coordinator take over play calling, so he could be more hands on elsewhere with coaching up the players and other coaches on game days.

Here is some more stuff from Steichen:

Ahhh yeah this makes more why there was that thing the other day about him maybe getting HC looks if they do well. Will get way more credit.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Ahhh yeah this makes more why there was that thing the other day about him maybe getting HC looks if they do well. Will get way more credit.

Interesting. Where did you hear that from?

But, yeah if Hurts takes any kind of jump as a passer and our offense is pretty good he's almost assuredly getting strong looks next offseason. That's the only thing I don't love about this is when you have a coach who is great at calling one side of the ball like say a Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Sean Payton or whoever on offense or Mike Tomlin on defense for instance it just means that's one side of the ball you don't have to worry too much about your coordinator getting hired away for a HC job cause the play calling for that side of the ball remains with the head coach.

With that said, even if Nick isn't calling plays I still love his demeanor. He seems to empower his coaches as seen by him handing over the reigns to Steichen as the season was in the balance. That's something Doug I don't think Doug ever did in his tenure here and I mean if you are the head coach its your choice. You don't have to give up play calling if you don't want to for your side of the ball. If we are being real I don't think Doug was the greatest offensive play caller and I think he felt empowered by that 2017 season where everything clicked, but I think the brain trust between him and Reich/DeFilippo was a big reason for the success. If I won a Super Bowl in my 2nd year I probably wouldn't want to give up play calling either, but I think after his top guys left he always sorta left something to be desired. I mean his OC was Groh for the 2 years after Reich left, so I understand not handing it over to him and in 2020 he didn't actually have anyone at an offensive coordinator position to hand things over to and I have to wonder if that was by design. There was also the aspect we heard reported numerous times that Pederson wasn't hard enough coaching his coaches and making sure they were doing what they needed to be doing. I don't think I've heard anything of the sort with Sirianni. One of the things I liked in training camp was how he was clearly a players coach, but you would hear about him yelling at players on the field when they messed up and pulling them to the side and talking with them one on one to try and coach them up. He seems to have both the tough side to keep guys in line, but also the players coach side to get guys to rally behind him. A lot of guys in the pressers talked about going bowling and stuff Nick has them do as a team to build comradery.

Play calling isn't an insignificant thing, but like this Eagles YouTuber I watched today who used to coach either high school or low level college said about him play calling is its not all that its cracked up to be. Usually you are going into a game with a set of plays that you've practiced and are gonna be calling from and a lot of it is about down and distance dictating even further a fewer set of plays you'll call from. Obviously you gotta be adept at stringing together plays and knowing which one for what the defense, but yeah. Also, I could be wrong, but I would think a play caller in the booth like Steichen would have a bit of an advantage being high up and able to see the field and what the defense is doing more clearly. Either way I like having the same guy from the end of last year calling plays going into this season. Switching from Sirianni to Stiechen back to Sirianni isn't really doing Hurts any favors.

I remember reports were mostly positive about Hurts last year too. I’m going to be positive and hopeful as I usually am. But I gotta see this in live game action to believe all the progress to be real. Nothing 7 on 7s will show me is that constant roll out right to bail out of a play. That was one of his biggest flaws. We’ll see. Good stuff so far though. Except Slay clearly struggling early lol.