2022 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

It's opinion based but I disagree

What you’re saying is opinion based. What I am saying is based on the Deep Ball Project that Kinsley does every offseason where he tracks the ACCURACY of deep passes for every starting QB. That means those accurate drops like the ones you are talking about are counted in Jalen’s favor and yet he still ranked 3rd worst in the NFL only ahead of Heinicke and Roethlisberger.

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Goddamn Jalen going through it every offseason. Lost his close friend before last training camp and this year lost probably his closest friend from college that he came into the NFL with. That’s rough man. RIP.

Yeah he has like 4 or 5 posts. Seems like his is really hurting. RIP to Gladney and hope Reagor can heal 

6 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

What you’re saying is opinion based. What I am saying is based on the Deep Ball Project that Kinsley does every offseason where he tracks the ACCURACY of deep passes for every starting QB. That means those accurate drops like the ones you are talking about are counted in Jalen’s favor and yet he still ranked 3rd worst in the NFL only ahead of Heinicke and Roethlisberger.

It's made up analytics stuff it sounds like. They can be used for good and bad and to fit points. Im old school I don't need fancy stuff. 

8 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

It's made up analytics stuff it sounds like. They can be used for good and bad and to fit points. Im old school I don't need fancy stuff. 

It’s not made up analytics stuff. It’s him going through the tape throw by throw for deep passes (he deems it 21+ yards) and charting each pass. 

He details it more here:

Traditional stats measure deep passing ability by yards, touchdowns, and even passer rating on a few sites like Pro Football Focus. As someone that's researched and charted deep passing for over 7 years, I primarily judge deep passing ability by Accuracy Percentage.

The main stat in what I like to call The Deep Ball Project, Accuracy Percentage takes a look at each throw of 21+ yards past the line of scrimmage a quarterback throws and how accurately it's thrown regardless if it's caught or incomplete. Drops, disruptions where the receiver initially caught the ball, and plays where the throw is on target but the receiver can't get two feet in count as accurate passes.

As you might guess, it's quite different from Completion Percentage. It also includes two key stats that tell the story of a quarterback's Accuracy Percentage: Accurate Incompletions and Inaccurate Completions. Accurate Incompletions are plays where a quarterback's throw is accurate regardless if caught or not, while Inaccurate Completions look at plays where a receiver had to make an unnecessary adjustment on their route in order to catch the ball. The latter is rarer to chart and isn't used too much, while Accurate Incompletions are commonly found in my charting.

Source: https://www.patreon.com/posts/63353274

It literally is straight up tape charting just in a lot more detail.

Hurts deep passing left a ton to be desired last year. I’m sure having such a young group of receivers hurt him, but he also hurt the receivers as well. Jalen was a lot better on short to intermediate passing than he was on deep passing. There is no need for us to be homers and disregard someone’s work just cause it doesn’t speak glowingly about our QB.

The review he gave from studying Hurts was a lot more favorable than I would have expected to see from someone that ranks near the very bottom of the list for accuracy on his Deep Ball Project. He said his tape was a roller coaster and despite the low accuracy he didn’t even care, because he had that much fun watching his tape and how he wasn’t shy to air it out. He also did a short film room on AJ Brown and what he’ll bring to the Eagles and said how he thinks Hurts is a better fit for Brown cause of his propensity to air it out more being 4th in the league in ADOT (Average Depth of Target) while an older Tannehill was just 23rd. 

9 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Yeah he has like 4 or 5 posts. Seems like his is really hurting. RIP to Gladney and hope Reagor can heal 

I just saw the one post in the morning right when I think he broke the news. Didn’t see the ones to come after, but I understand the need to vent. Hopefully he has family and friends that will help him through this or sees a therapist if need be. I’m actually proud of Eagles fans that I didn’t really see trolling in the replies. This is the most behind Reagor I’ve ever seen them. I know his role is gonna be more limited this year, but I hope he’s able to get his mental right before camp and goes out there and perform when his number does get called whether that’s on a very limited snap basis or if an injury happens. I’m no longer expecting him to be the player I thought he could be after his sophomore season going into his junior year at TCU, but I’d still like to see him overcome and do well even if his best seasons end up coming with another franchise.

Glad Josh rushed himself to the emergency room when he didn’t feel right. Didn’t know his HS injury when he was the top recruit in the nation was that bad he could’ve lost his leg. Hope he’s able to break out and earn an actual Pro Bowl nod and get to play in that playoff game he so desperately wanted to last year. Something like 10+ sacks is what I’m hoping for from him this year and I think he’s fully capable of it. 

• Like 1

I'm curious where everybody ranks Hurts in their top 32 QBs. There was an NBC article where they kind of broke things down like this but had a couple players in different players.

In no order QBs who are definitely better than Hurts - Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Carr, Mahomes, Herbert, Jackson, Burrow, Allen, Stafford, Murray, Prescott, 

I'd rank Hurts probably towards the bottom of this group.  Cousins, Tannehill, Wentz, Ryan, Garoppolo, Mayfield. 

Hurts should probably be ranked ahead of these guys, in no order: Mac Jones, J. Winston, Tua, Lawrence, Z. Wilson, Fields, Goff, Mariota, Trubisky, Darnold, Mills, Pickett, Lock.

I'd say any where between 16-20 is an appropriate ranking for Hurts coming into the year. Of course last year's first round picks may have a higher upside than Hurts but if we are going by what players have shown on the field thus far, then I think anywhere between 16-20 is fair. 

35 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

I'd say any where between 16-20 is an appropriate ranking for Hurts coming into the year. Of course last year's first round picks may have a higher upside than Hurts but if we are going by what players have shown on the field thus far, then I think anywhere between 16-20 is fair

I'd say 15-19 depending in large part to Veteran QB's potential players producing ahead of him????. With upside of a Top 10 season. Yes 10, I said it!!!!!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'd say 15-19 depending in large part to Veteran QB's potential players producing ahead of him????. With upside of a Top 10 season. Yes 10, I said it!!!!!

I mean I would love it if Hurts has a top ten season. I just don't see that in the cards. I mean I could see Hurts outperforming the guys I mentioned in the second tier. I don't think he's having a better season than four guys in that top group though. If Hurts can make the case for 14th best QB I'd be happy. That means he would've had a good season where he made a solid and noticeable improvement from last year. If he gets somewhere closer to the top 10 then I think the Eagles would be legitimate contenders. I just don't see it though because I can't find four guys in that top group who I can point to and say "Hurts has good chance of outplaying these guys."

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Julian Lurie takes a front office role officially.

I wonder how long until he takes over as owner.

I doubt any time soon. Jeffrey doesn't look like he is going to retire or die in the near future. Good to have the future owner actually putting in the work learning about the business and the team

On 6/1/2022 at 2:35 AM, Folesadelphia said:

I mean I would love it if Hurts has a top ten season. I just don't see that in the cards. I mean I could see Hurts outperforming the guys I mentioned in the second tier. I don't think he's having a better season than four guys in that top group though. If Hurts can make the case for 14th best QB I'd be happy. That means he would've had a good season where he made a solid and noticeable improvement from last year. If he gets somewhere closer to the top 10 then I think the Eagles would be legitimate contenders. I just don't see it though because I can't find four guys in that top group who I can point to and say "Hurts has good chance of outplaying these guys."

Lamar Jackson and Carr are doable for him to pass. I'm not a big Carr guy tho. Think he's very overrated. He's a great every other game kind of QB imo.

The rest I agree might be hard for him to pass them. He'd need to have a 38+ Total TD season most likely

1 hour ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Lamar Jackson and Carr are doable for him to pass. I'm not a big Carr guy tho. Think he's very overrated. He's a great every other game kind of QB imo.

The rest I agree might be hard for him to pass them. He'd need to have a 38+ Total TD season most likely

Under no circumstances will Jalen Hurts be a better quarterback than Lamar Jackson and I think it's probably a stretch for him to pass Carr.