Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

11 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Best case scenario for me:

-Trade Kirk for a 1st
-Sign M. Mariota to a 1 year reasonable deal
-Draft Corral or Willis in round 1 

I'm definitely not a fan of this. I don't see any QB in this draft as "the guy." I see a lot of 2nd round QBs that are going to be overdrafted and have middling NFL careers. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm definitely not a fan of this. I don't see any QB in this draft as "the guy." I see a lot of 2nd round QBs that are going to be overdrafted and have middling NFL careers. 

Agreed. 

If Cousins is traded, and for argument’s sake let’s say it’s for a 1st, my ideal situation would be;

- draft two defenders with the 1st round picks

- Re-evaluate the board, and use your 2nd round pick on a QB. If that requires a small trade up, so be it. 

11 hours ago, Eric dunn said:

Best case scenario for me:

-Trade Kirk for a 1st
-Sign M. Mariota to a 1 year reasonable deal
-Draft Corral or Willis in round 1 

I’m ok with this as well. I’m also ok with using both 1st round picks on Trenches (IOL and DE). I like the thought of Mariota as a one year deal

I think we HAVE to trade Cousins just to keep Jefferson. You can tell from Jefferson’s body language on the field that he’s fed up with Cousins’ lack of fire and execution during critical moments in critical games. I think that’s his main flaw, he just doesn’t have that Mamba Mentality. Justin Jefferson on the other hand, has that and everything else, and he’s well on his way to being the best WR in the league. Players like him don’t come around often, and we need to build around him. 

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Do you remember the class with Mahomes was classified as weak? That draft also produced a franchise QB, at pick....... 12. 

Not comparing these guys to them as prospects. But there were obviously plenty of questions about those guys coming out. At least a few of these guys are gonna be good starting QBs im sure. 

29 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I think we HAVE to trade Cousins just to keep Jefferson. You can tell from Jefferson’s body language on the field that he’s fed up with Cousins’ lack of fire and execution during critical moments in critical games. I think that’s his main flaw, he just doesn’t have that Mamba Mentality. Justin Jefferson on the other hand, has that and everything else, and he’s well on his way to being the best WR in the league. Players like him don’t come around often, and we need to build around him. 

So, he'd be happier with no QB? I doubt it. Because there isn't a better QB out there for next year, and probably not the following year either.....

17 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

Do you remember the class with Mahomes was classified as weak? That draft also produced a franchise QB, at pick....... 12. 

Not comparing these guys to them as prospects. But there were obviously plenty of questions about those guys coming out. At least a few of these guys are gonna be good starting QBs im sure. 

How many will be better than Cousins has been for the last two years? Maybe one. Maybe. And you have to hope you pick him. 

Vikings fans should be weary of jettisoning Cousins just to hop back on the QB carousel. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

A: This is fiction

B: What successful teams have built their team around one WR? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

How many will be better than Cousins has been for the last two years? Maybe one. Maybe. And you have to hope you pick him. 

Vikings fans should be weary of jettisoning Cousins just to hop back on the QB carousel. 

In their first season? Non of them will be better than Kirk. But ideally in their 2nd/3rd season, they will be at least an average NFL QB. The advantage is the contract. Its not about Kirk just being better. Its about how much Kirk makes. A rookie QB gives you 5 years of team control (assuming hes a 1st round pick) & obviously the potential to be the guy for the next 10+ years. Not to mention, i am a firm believer that Kirk is not the guy to lead this team or any team for that matter. To a championship. Not to mention he is gonna be 34. You have to start thinking about the future. 

Id even be fine with waiting until the 2nd round for a guy that slips. There is nobody who id be aggressive in trading up for, but i like some of these guys. 

1 minute ago, Eric dunn said:

In their first season? Non of them will be better than Kirk. But ideally in their 2nd/3rd season, they will be at least an average NFL QB. The advantage is the contract. Its not about Kirk just being better. Its about how much Kirk makes. A rookie QB gives you 5 years of team control (assuming hes a 1st round pick) & obviously the potential to be the guy for the next 10+ years. Not to mention, i am a firm believer that Kirk is not the guy to lead this team or any team for that matter. To a championship. Not to mention he is gonna be 34. You have to start thinking about the future. 

Id even be fine with waiting until the 2nd round for a guy that slips. There is nobody who id be aggressive in trading up for, but i like some of these guys. 

So, for the next two years the QB will be worse, and Jefferson will be happier? (because that's what this is in response to)

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

So, for the next two years the QB will be worse, and Jefferson will be happier? (because that's what this is in response to)

The rookie probably wouldnt start next year. It would probably be a stopgap like Mariota. Would they be worse than Cousins? Probably. But they would also make 1/3 of what Cousins does, which would afford the team to pay for a new Center or RG or defensive pieces. The point is to build the team up with a rookie scale QB contract & be ready to win in 2023-24. JJ will get his targets & if the team wins i think he will be just fine. Cousins making 35-40 mil per year restricts this team from improving in many other spots unless they nail all of their draft picks. 

Your argument is to keep/pay Kirk to keep JJ happy. Which doesnt make any sense from a roster building standpoint. The blueprint is what BUF, KC, CIN, & NE is doing. Unless you have a Brady or Rodgers. Which Cousins is no where close. Therefor you cant expect to pay him top tier money & expect him to elevate the team around him. Thats not Kirk. 

5 minutes ago, Eric dunn said:

The rookie probably wouldnt start next year. It would probably be a stopgap like Mariota. Would they be worse than Cousins? Probably. But they would also make 1/3 of what Cousins does, which would afford the team to pay for a new Center or RG or defensive pieces. The point is to build the team up with a rookie scale QB contract & be ready to win in 2023-24. JJ will get his targets & if the team wins i think he will be just fine. Cousins making 35-40 mil per year restricts this team from improving in many other spots unless they nail all of their draft picks. 

Your argument is to keep/pay Kirk to keep JJ happy. Which doesnt make any sense from a roster building standpoint. The blueprint is what BUF, KC, CIN, & NE is doing. Unless you have a Brady or Rodgers. Which Cousins is no where close. Therefor you cant expect to pay him top tier money & expect him to elevate the team around him. Thats not Kirk. 

No, my argument is that cutting Kirk to get a better QB for JJ is wrong......no place did I say keeping him was right (as I think JJ will do what he wants regardless of the QB). I merely said that arguing cutting Kirk to keep JJ happy was silliness for the next two years.....

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

No, my argument is that cutting Kirk to get a better QB for JJ is wrong......no place did I say keeping him was right (as I think JJ will do what he wants regardless of the QB). I merely said that arguing cutting Kirk to keep JJ happy was silliness for the next two years.....

Well we woudnt be cutting Kirk. We would be either trading him for assets or letting him play out 2022 on his deal. 

In other words, my point is we might take a step back in 2022. But potentially 3 steps forward in 2023 if they get the right guy. 

I believe keeping JJ happy is a priority. But to a certain extent.