Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The ideal scenario is probably to extend cousins to get his cap hit down and give him all the guaranteed money in the first two years, so it is easy for both sides to move on after that.

problem is will he agree to one without it being fully guaranteed?

• Like 1

really the average age for QB's to decline and even retire are between 35-36 years old. Im sure his agent and even Kirk know that. 
Yes, health has got better but it still doesn't change the fact it can go downhill and fast. Would be surprised to see him get absolutely what he can on his next contract, and head into the sunset.

Dan Marino - 36 was the big decline
Joe Montana - 36 was the big decline
Troy Aikman - 34
Steve Young - 37
Jim Kelly - 36

Yes some have played with some success after, but they were also way above what Kirk is as a QB.

14 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

problem is will he agree to one without it being fully guaranteed?

Who out there would give him that?

I’m sure Cousins and his agent will trying and get the best deal possible, but why should it be believed that the best deal out there is still top dollar? 

Undoubtedly, Cousins’ agent will ask around the league about the interest in his client, both in willingness to trade for him, and willingness to pay him an extension. And looking around the league, I’m not sure I see a team willing to pay him in the $30M+ bracket. 

If a team is willing to pay him that, trade him. But if teams are only willing to pay in the $25M range, an extension with the Vikings is probably his best option. 

Edited by SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who out there would give him that?

I’m sure Cousins and his agent will trying and get the best deal possible, but why should it be believed that the best deal out there is still top dollar? 

Undoubtedly, Cousins’ agent will ask around the league about the interest in his client, both in willingness to trade for him, and willingness to pay him an extension. And looking around the league, I’m not sure I see a team willing to pay him in the $30M+ bracket. 

If a team is willing to pay him that, trade him. But if teams are only willing to pay in the $25M range, an extension with the Vikings is probably his best option. 

us if we extend him. it doesn't even have to be some huge max number. I'd almost be willing to bet though he wouldn't take a front loaded 3 year extension. 

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any interest in bringing back Bridgewater if we move on from Cousins?

Honestly going to depend on the type of offense we are going to run, who the head coach is, and who the OC is.
Pretty much agree with what @SemperFeistsaid. Not exactly my first choice.

I'm actually starting to lean to the point where if we let Cousins go, I'd almost be willing to just let the rookie QB we will almost have to draft start, unless the future GM & Staff really believe in Kellen Mond.

• Like 2

As far as Bridgewater goes, the only real connection left with him and the Vikings is how fans like him. Thielen and Cook are the only offensive players on the roster who were here with Teddy, and Thielen is the only one who played with him. Andrew Janocko is the only offensive coach on staff. 

On 1/19/2022 at 11:54 AM, gopherwrestler said:

Honestly going to depend on the type of offense we are going to run, who the head coach is, and who the OC is.
Pretty much agree with what @SemperFeistsaid. Not exactly my first choice.

I'm actually starting to lean to the point where if we let Cousins go, I'd almost be willing to just let the rookie QB we will almost have to draft start, unless the future GM & Staff really believe in Kellen Mond.

Kellen Mond vs Mariota for the starting job.

Although Cleveland said they are committed to Baker for 2022, I'd almost want Mayfield back if we were to trade Cousins to Cleveland.   He'd be on the last year of his rookie deal, with a ton to prove, and probably easily beats Mond for the starting job.  Resign him if he lights it up, let him walk if he busts.  Almost a win win

• Like 1

Cousins needs to be the Vikings QB next season. I just really wish he'd get vaccinated. That also goes for all the other unvaxxed players like Cook, Thielen, and Harrison Smith. It's a big ask apparently.

Trading Cousins is akin to blowing everything up. Some here may like that idea. I don't. 

If the incoming staff doesn't trust Mond they can try to develop a new rookie, but not at the expense of what Cousins can do for the team next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babababa said:

Cousins needs to be the Vikings QB next season. I just really wish he'd get vaccinated. That also goes for all the other unvaxxed players like Cook, Thielen, and Harrison Smith. It's a big ask apparently.

Trading Cousins is akin to blowing everything up. Some here may like that idea. I don't. 

If the incoming staff doesn't trust Mond they can try to develop a new rookie, but not at the expense of what Cousins can do for the team next season.

The 2023 draft is purported to have a lot more depth of significantly higher quality than the 2022 draft.  I think The Vikings should wait to spend a high draft choice on a QB in the 2023 draft, when they might not need to trade up to get one they think has the potential to be their franchise QB.  There will be less chance of drafting a bust that way, and a lot better chance of spending less team-building assets, to do so.  Furthermore, the timing of making that move will be better that way because the team around the rookie QB in 2023 will be better because the new draftees from the 2022 draft will have already had one whole NFL season to gain experience and burn out their rookie mistakes and build their confidence, and be integrated into the team's system, to provide better help for a rookie QB, than his having to start playing with several fellow rookies in his team's lineup.  Also, they could possibly have an extra 1st Round choice from a trade for Cousins, if they are willing to pay more of Cousins' salary to the trading team to up the return from a 2nd Rounder to a 1st.  That could be a valuable trade chip if they make it in the 2023 draft, in case they'll want to use it to move up a reasonably long distance to grab one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in that draft.  They could sign Mariotta, Bridgewater, or another much cheaper (than having to pay Cousins for 2 years on even a spread out over 3 years still high cap rate) bridge, placeholder QB.  I'd rather have them really go big for finding their franchise QB in The 2023 draft, rather than this year's.

15 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

The 2023 draft is purported to have a lot more depth of significantly higher quality than the 2022 draft.  I think The Vikings should wait to spend a high draft choice on a QB in the 2023 draft, when they might not need to trade up to get one they think has the potential to be their franchise QB.  There will be less chance of drafting a bust that way, and a lot better chance of spending less team-building assets, to do so.  Furthermore, the timing of making that move will be better that way because the team around the rookie QB in 2023 will be better because the new draftees from the 2022 draft will have already had one whole NFL season to gain experience and burn out their rookie mistakes and build their confidence, and be integrated into the team's system, to provide better help for a rookie QB, than his having to start playing with several fellow rookies in his team's lineup.  Also, they could possibly have an extra 1st Round choice from a trade for Cousins, if they are willing to pay more of Cousins' salary to the trading team to up the return from a 2nd Rounder to a 1st.  That could be a valuable trade chip if they make it in the 2023 draft, in case they'll want to use it to move up a reasonably long distance to grab one of the top 2 or 3 QBs in that draft.  They could sign Mariotta, Bridgewater, or another much cheaper (than having to pay Cousins for 2 years on even a spread out over 3 years still high cap rate) bridge, placeholder QB.  I'd rather have them really go big for finding their franchise QB in The 2023 draft, rather than this year's.

I've been saying the same.  2022 might as well be all Defense/OL/ maybe a TE

The thing about waiting till the 2023 draft is you have to almost hold out hope that this guy is ready to start day 1. Which most rookie QB's are not and in fact some of the best arent ready year 1. I understand that the team around them has alot to do with it. But even then, the only rookie QB to ever go to a SB was like Big Ben right? Also, what if those prospects take a step back and the class doesnt look so good next year? Lets not forget, Sam Howell & Malik Willis were being looked at as elite QB prospects before this season & even early in this season. Not to say that will happen, but you never know.

Id rather draft a guy this year in a true development year. If he starts ok, if he sits on the bench thats ok. But at least there is not the pressure to play him, as there would be in 2023. If we get a guy this year, we know he will be the guy in 2023. Now i understand the strength of this class isnt great. But there are a few guys with a really good chance to be franchise guys IMO. I dont think they should force the QB pick. But if the new regime/staff is sitting there and thinks they have a potential QBOTF, they should 100% take him. The most ideal scenario is to be ready to compete in 2023. Also we have to keep in mind JJ is on his rookie deal & in the prime of his career, so we have to hurry up and attempt to maximize it.