Kirk Cousins Thread: Keep, Cut, Trade?

gopherwrestler

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

There's an argument to be made for getting out from Cousins' salary hits to put better pieces around another QB. But arguing that a new QB is going to keep JJ happy, especially not knowing who that QB is going to be, is ridiculous. 

JJ can’t be too unhappy given he’s cemented himself in the mix for first team all pro and is on a record pace to start a career. His biggest gripe, if he has any, has to be regarding winning. I can’t imagine he has major concern over the number of touches, but maybe the quality of touches that lead to wins? 

Edited by vikingsrule

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

JJ can’t be too unhappy given he’s cemented himself in the mix for first team all pro and is on a record pace to start a career. His biggest gripe, if he has any, has to be regarding winning. I can’t imagine he has major concern over the number of touches, but maybe the quality of touches that lead to wins? 

Yup. People want to point to one outburst in an empty stadium as evidence he somehow despises Cousins. I agree he could eventually be frustrated with losing. But that's not on Cousins or the offense right now, and while I acknowledge that I have nothing to back this up, I doubt JJ feels that Kirk's contract is the issue. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Yup. People want to point to one outburst in an empty stadium as evidence he somehow despises Cousins. I agree he could eventually be frustrated with losing. But that's not on Cousins or the offense right now, and while I acknowledge that I have nothing to back this up, I doubt JJ feels that Kirk's contract is the issue. 

Cousins contract or anyone else’s on the team is none of JJs business. So I would hope he’s not judging the merit of his teammates comp. sounds like a lousy teammate if that is the case, which I’m sure it isn’t either.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Cousins contract or anyone else’s on the team is none of JJs business. So I would hope he’s not judging the merit of his teammates comp. sounds like a lousy teammate if that is the case, which I’m sure it isn’t either.

Indeed. Fans gripe about contracts. Teammates do not. 

Edited by wcblack34

Ultimately, it is my opinion that the best path forward for the Vikings is to extend Cousins through the 2024 season (preferably with an out after 2023). This will reduce his cap number, allow the team to improve the defense, keep the offensive production, and allow for his successor to be drafted next year or the following season with the chance to be an understudy for a year. I am absolutely down on this QB class, and it makes no sense to get rid of Cousins just to overdraft a rookie to sit behind a lesser QB. 

Some just want to create a new Diggs situation, and they falsely believe that it was due to an imaginary issue that Diggs had with Cousins. 

Fans should know by now that it wasn’t Cousins, but rather the coach’s direction that he wanted the offense to go in. But that doesn’t fit the anti-Cousins narrative. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Doing what we can just to make Justin Jefferson happy is dangerous territory. 

Obviously they shouldn't do things that won't allow him to be successful but I don't think keeping a QB with a different personality is one of those things. 

If Jefferson can only get along with one type of personality or has issue with people who have different personalities than his own, he probably needs to grow up. Again, I doubt this is the case and I’d like to think there isn’t a schism between Kirk and JJ outside of a mutual goal of winning. 

I don't think there's necessarily a schism, but I've maintained that they don't work as well together as they could.  They do well together, but there just appears to be something missing so they don't have that same type of relationship as say Aaron Rodgers and Davante do.  

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think there's necessarily a schism, but I've maintained that they don't work as well together as they could.  They do well together, but there just appears to be something missing so they don't have that same type of relationship as say Aaron Rodgers and Davante do.  

How many years did that take to develop? Cousins and JJ have only played together for two seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

How many years did that take to develop? Cousins and JJ have only played together for two seasons. 

Don't really know, but Adams didn't really take off until Year 3.  He was pretty non-existent for the first 2 yrs of his career...but also stuck behind Jordy and Randall Cobb too (and James Jones).  Either way, initially off the bat, they certainly didn't have the "symbiotic" relationship that they have now, but there were obstacles in their way to that, namely players ahead of Adams on the depth chart.  There have been no such obstacles here to stand in the way of developing the chemistry.  

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

A: This is fiction

B: What successful teams have built their team around one WR? 

I mean the Rams got Stafford to help complement Cooper Kupp and that’s worked out pretty well. You don’t have to be a genius to realize that Kirk Cousins is not a winning QB and it is OK to build an offense around one of the best young players in the league. Doesn’t matter if he’s a WR, he’s the best player on the team! Keeping the best players on the team happy should be the number one priority of any organization. Not just in football, but any sport. The best players want to win, and so should the entire organization. It’s clear that losing doesn’t bother Cousins as much as it does Jefferson. We’ve seen how far Cousins can take us in the last 4 years. He’s just not a guy that can win you games just off pure will. He doesn’t have that in him. Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Derek Carr are all involved in trade talks, and I’d take any one of those guys over Kirk Cousins. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Don't really know, but Adams didn't really take off until Year 3.  He was pretty non-existent for the first 2 yrs of his career...but also stuck behind Jordy and Randall Cobb too (and James Jones).  Either way, initially off the bat, they certainly didn't have the "symbiotic" relationship that they have now, but there were obstacles in their way to that, namely players ahead of Adams on the depth chart.  There have been no such obstacles here to stand in the way of developing the chemistry.  

Nearly 3000 yards in two seasons seems to indicate some pretty good chemistry.