2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

15 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If you followed the entire conversation you’ll see that I was responding to a statement claiming Daks development wasn’t aided. So yes, I mentioned the jets and jaguars. It wasn’t a hot take. It was a response. 

No, its too many words. I get bored halfway through the 5th sentence.

Peyton Manning had a rocket laser for an arm most of his career. What the hell are you talking about? Matt Stafford has been “good” his whole career. He won the SB last year but that wasn’t the first time he was good. The two best single seasons for a WR of all time were QBd by Stafford on two different teams with two completely different WRs. 

Stafford has been below his talent level (normally around ~15-20) in the NFL unless he has an elite supporting cast. It takes the best WR in the league for him to even compete. 

He is also a proven loser with a .179 winning % against winning teams. He might be closer to only losing 80% of the time after last year. 

Dak is not as good as Matthew Stafford, Brady, Brees, or Manning. Quit taking time out of your work day to write nonsense Matts. I love you though 

Daks better than Stafford and the whole world knew it before Matty was put on a super team. 

Love you too, beaux 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

So excited to see what the Joneses are going to do that makes more money they don’t want to spend. 

Jerry's going to sell the team? 

Jerry and Stephen announce they're finally going to step aside and let McClay run the team? 

A man can dream...

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

they don’t want to spend. 

I dont get this narrative that you and @D82 both keep preaching. There is nothing cheap about our team. One of the most expensive stadiums. The absolute most expensive practice facility. Probably the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL. On top of all that, we spend to or near the max cap each year. 

Like, what else do you want?

We all saw what happened when we went top heavy ~15 years ago. A couple injuries and the team is wrecked. Now weve built a team that can mostly withstand a few hits and you guys arent happy with that either.

38 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont get this narrative that you and @D82 both keep preaching. There is nothing cheap about our team. One of the most expensive stadiums. The absolute most expensive practice facility. Probably the highest paid coaching staff in the NFL. On top of all that, we spend to or near the max cap each year. 

We all saw what happened when we went top heavy ~15 years ago. A couple injuries and the team is wrecked. Now weve built a team that can mostly withstand a few hits and you guys arent happy with that either.

I don’t really want anything at the moment, I just like prodding the subject.

That said, the off season/FA period with this team has sucked balls. They are not a better team now than at the end of the season. Which is a bit of a sore spot and I’d prefer they not sit on their hands for the mid to lower tier free agents. Find a happy-medium….which I admit could still happen. But, I feel it’s also something I’m not going to hold my breath for either.

Edited by WizardHawk

13 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

That said, the off season/FA period with this team off season has sucked balls. They are not a better team now than the end of the season. Which is a bit of a sore spot and I’d prefer they not sit on their hands for the mid to lower tier free agents. Find a happy-medium. 

The problem is we don't know the long term strategy. 

These moves scream like a team that is going all in on 2023. Which, honestly, might be really smart. Brady gone. Rodgers older. Russel older. Etc. We will likely have a new coaching staff too.

The problem with this is every year can drastically change the window and we are built to win last year and could have been built to win this year. 

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

That said, the off season/FA period with this team off season has sucked balls. They are not a better team now than the end of the season. Which is a bit of a sore spot and I’d prefer they not sit on their hands for the mid to lower tier free agents. Find a happy-medium. 

We kept one of the DEs, kept Jayron Kearse and got rid of Cooper. The only additional thing that would make me happy is if some stupid team traded a mid rounder for Zeke. 

Otherwise, I am pretty happy. 

OBJ and Landry are both still out there as well. Adding those two for the cost of Cooper would be :chefs kiss:

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The problem is we don't know the long term strategy. 

These moves scream like a team that is going all in on 2023. Which, honestly, might be really smart. Brady gone. Rodgers older. Russel older. Etc. We will likely have a new coaching staff too.

The problem with this is every year can drastically change the window and we are built to win last year and could have been built to win this year. 

They decided that they couldn’t improve enough in 2022 to make it worthwhile to mortgage some of 2023 and beyond. So create the flexibility to build a championship window moving forward.

That’s why signing Bobby Wagner never seemed realistic/smart.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I agree. Being cheap is not at the root of any problems in Dallas. And framing it that way undermines real conversations about why things are happening. 

29 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree. Being cheap is not at the root of any problems in Dallas. And framing it that way undermines real conversations about why things are happening. 

Maybe "being cheap" isn't a great way to frame it. But they refuse to make the moves that other teams do that allows those teams to compete for championships. Nearly every Super Bowl team the last few years has made an off-season acquisition that paid dividends and that player contributed in a big way to their Super Bowl berth. 

Signing bottom of the barrel guys like Dallas the last few years hasn't. You remember those teams of the early 90s? They traded for Charles Haley and look what happened. They also suck at getting value for their players because Jerry and Stephen can't shut the hell up and drive down their value. 

55 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That’s why signing Bobby Wagner never seemed realistic/smart.

Sure. I was never crazy about Wagner. He isn’t the same stud of years past. And certainly not at the cost. 

The problem is we lost 3 starters, two of which made sense to pay, and our gadget player. 

Net net we are worse than last year. The off-season isn’t over yet, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Maybe "being cheap" isn't a great way to frame it. But they refuse to make the moves that other teams do that allows those teams to compete for championships. Nearly every Super Bowl team the last few years has made an off-season acquisition that paid dividends and that player contributed in a big way to their Super Bowl berth. 

They don’t make those moves because they think the best way to win is to build through the draft, maintain flexibility, and feast on high quality free agent bargains. They’ve done a pretty good job of executing that strategy over the recent years, to maintain a competitive franchise that has caught some bad breaks in the playoffs.

The Rams have had success, but their strategy is radical and being executed by unique individuals. Trying to copy that model is to risk gutting a franchise down to the studs if it doesn’t work. There’s certainly a happy medium to be had.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Signing bottom of the barrel guys like Dallas the last few years hasn't. You remember those teams of the early 90s? They traded for Charles Haley and look what happened. 

Cowboys added Haley before the salary cap. You have to understand how these situations are apples and oranges and could drive different strategy decisions. I promise you, if the NFL dropped the cap, the Cowboys would open up their wallets real quickly.

40 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Sure. I was never crazy about Wagner. He isn’t the same stud of years past. And certainly not at the cost. 

The problem is we lost 3 starters, two of which made sense to pay, and our gadget player. 

Net net we are worse than last year. The off-season isn’t over yet, though. 

That’s my point.

They made that decision to sacrifice some competitiveness in 2022 for the sake of future seasons.

Signing a high-priced FA with likely limited long-term utility only reduces that flexibility by reducing your ability to carry over that additional cap space. It would go in the face of everything they’ve been doing.

17 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That’s my point.

They made that decision to sacrifice some competitiveness in 2022 for the sake of future seasons.

Signing a high-priced FA with likely limited long-term utility only reduces that flexibility by reducing your ability to carry over that additional cap space. It would go in the face of everything they’ve been doing.

Trying to build a competitive roster would certainly undermine their efforts to build an 8-9 squad. I agree