2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

4 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Des, you are better than this. No one knew Ramsey would be an All Pro DB. Hell we all thought Mo was gonna be the truth. 

Also this is interesting:

A lot of people thought he would become what he has. And when it comes down to a RB, a position which has time and time again proven to be a bad decision to draft high and/or give big money to - vs. a CB, you take the CB. 

Yeah look I’m not someone who is gonna suggest that a RB is a smart use of resources in the 1st. 

My challenges have been: Blaming Rod is foolish (not you) and claiming they passed on an All-Pro is major revisionist history. 

That said if Romo is healthy and they win a SB that year not a soul cares that we drafted Zeke. Just really crappy way everything unfolded. 

• Like 1

Dak was really efficient his rookie year but was 23rd in attempts, 19th in yards, and 16th in TDs. 

We still went 13-3 and had the bye. If Romo stays healthy that was a super bowl team. 

Zeke over Ramsey is a terrible decision for the 2022 Cowboys, but was probably the right decision at the time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Yeah look I’m not someone who is gonna suggest that a RB is a smart use of resources in the 1st. 

My challenges have been: Blaming Rod is foolish (not you) and claiming they passed on an All-Pro is major revisionist history. 

That said if Romo is healthy and they win a SB that year not a soul cares that we drafted Zeke. Just really crappy way everything unfolded. 

Even Broaddus on the draft show today said Rod rolled over on the internal Zeke/Ramsey debate.

They were both great prospects. But 1 played RB. The right move was to draft Ramsey in round 1, and Henry in round 2. That’s what a lot of smart people argued for, and it has proven out over time.

Would the individual season of 2016 have turned out as good? Maybe not. But sinking big resources into RB almost always proves to be a bad time in the end.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 7:32 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Even Broaddus on the draft show today said Rod rolled over on the internal Zeke/Ramsey debate.

They were both great prospects. But 1 played RB. The right move was to draft Ramsey in round 1, and Henry in round 2. That’s what a lot of smart people argued for, and it has proven out over time.

Would the individual season of 2016 have turned out as good? Maybe not. But sinking big resources into RB almost always proves to be a bad time in the end.

At the time I don't think there is any doubt that Zeke was the safer pick...  CB are not automatically HR picks...  But just because Zeke was the right choice doesn't mean you need to go ALL IN>>

So yes it was bad team management to not have Zeke's replacement in the works so we had options.   Also the deal should have been more team friendly on the final years.  Take all the hits while you still have your QB on a rookie deal as best you can.  

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Neither are RBs…

Agreed but elite college RB's which Zeke was, IMO are way more dependable as a draft option then CB's.    I also would argue that Zeke was indeed more valuable to the Cowboys for his first 3 years then Ramsey was. But that is a question that can not now be answered.   

But I guess a ton of posters on this board would have ben happy with Ramsey as the pick and all that having Ramsey over Zeke would mean.  Especially as I would say the odds would be HUGE Dak does not have the year he did as rookie QB, and in fact would probably struggle and as a consequence would not NOW be the Dallas Cowboy QB.

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Agreed but elite college RB's which Zeke was, IMO are way more dependable as a draft option then CB's. 

Tell that to the teams that drafted Trent Richardson, Leonard Fornette, and Saquon Barkley.

1 hour ago, quiller said:

But I guess a ton of posters on this board would have ben happy with Ramsey as the pick and all that having Ramsey over Zeke would mean.  Especially as I would say the odds would be HUGE Dak does not have the year he did as rookie QB, and in fact would probably struggle and as a consequence would not NOW be the Dallas Cowboy QB.

Dak was ready to ball as a rookie behind an offensive line that helped Darren McFadden rush for over 1,000 yards. That 2016 team was good. And even if it was slightly worse, maybe Romo gets another shot and we go to the Super Bowl.

We can play butterfly effect all day. At the end of the day, we’ve invested a ton into a low-value position and a player that is already worn down. 

8 hours ago, quiller said:

At the time I don't think there is any doubt that Zeke was the safer pick...  CB are not automatically HR picks...  But just because Zeke was the right choice doesn't mean you need to go ALL IN>>

So yes it was bad team management to not have Zeke's replacement in the works so we had options.   Also the deal should have been more team friendly on the final years.  Take all the hits while you still have your QB on a rookie deal as best you can.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft

truly, what team has ever regretted taking an RB in the top 5. Certainly not 3 in the same draft!

I don’t think a real case can be made that the Zeke pick was defensible, much less prudent, but that we just mismanaged his extension and should’ve had more contingencies after 3 friggin’ seasons. I mean give me a break. That was our highest draft pick in 25 years.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

dodged a massive bullet here! Not a fan of another injured WR

Seems like Brandin Cooks might be on the radar. I’m interested if the price is right.

My real interest would be in AJ Brown if Tennessee is serious about moving him. I doubt Dallas will want to ante up for that upcoming contract though. 

Edited by WizardHawk

On 3/29/2022 at 4:23 PM, D82 said:

A lot of people thought he would become what he has. And when it comes down to a RB, a position which has time and time again proven to be a bad decision to draft high and/or give big money to - vs. a CB, you take the CB. 

Sooo  you would go back and draft a CB over Hershel Walker... 

and before you laugh I think Zeke proved his first four years he was worth the hype and a game changer...  NOW would he get a 'huge' second contract  NOT in my book but that does not mean he wasn't worth it and to Dallas. 

Now if you want to say drafting Ramsey was better because then Dallas would have sucked big time in 2016-2017 and we would have been able to pick Mahomes in 2017...  then yeah sure Ramsey would have been a better pick. But do not kid yourself in thinking the 2016-2019 Dallas Cowboys would have been a 'better' team with Ramsey over Zeke. If you are then you are just focusing too much on how bad we messed up with his second contract.

5 hours ago, quiller said:

Sooo  you would go back and draft a CB over Hershel Walker... 

and before you laugh I think Zeke proved his first four years he was worth the hype and a game changer...  NOW would he get a 'huge' second contract  NOT in my book but that does not mean he wasn't worth it and to Dallas. 

Now if you want to say drafting Ramsey was better because then Dallas would have sucked big time in 2016-2017 and we would have been able to pick Mahomes in 2017...  then yeah sure Ramsey would have been a better pick. But do not kid yourself in thinking the 2016-2019 Dallas Cowboys would have been a 'better' team with Ramsey over Zeke. If you are then you are just focusing too much on how bad we messed up with his second contract.

..... do you have any idea what RBs were even drafted in 2017 and 2018?

Fans like you act like Fournette or McCaffrey or Dalvin or Kamara or Jones or Barkley or Chubb or so and so forth wouldn't have been as good as Zeke in Dallas because... um... they aren't Zeke? We didn't draft them, so it didn't happen, so it wouldn't have happened? Is that the implicit argument?

This team's 2016-19 stretch isn't headlining any historical NFL novels, unless the subject is how to waste a rookie QB contract. What exactly are we giving Zeke credit for in this stretch? Posting yards? Cool, he's Monta Ellis.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, matt79511 said:

..... do you have any idea what RBs were even drafted in 2017 and 2018?

Fans like you act like Fournette or McCaffrey or Dalvin or Kamara or Jones or Barkley or Chubb or so and so forth wouldn't have been as good as Zeke in Dallas because... um... they aren't Zeke? We didn't draft them, so it didn't happen, so it wouldn't have happened? Is that the implicit argument?

This team's 2016-19 stretch isn't headlining any historical NFL novels, unless the subject is how to waste a rookie QB contract. What exactly are we giving Zeke credit for in this stretch? Posting yards? Cool, he's Monta Ellis.

Well I just disagree about a lot of what you are saying.  But I might have drafted Barkley over Ramsey as well..  the rest hmm I don't know.  But your in a way missing my point.  MY POINT IS THIS TEAM WOULD HAVE NOT DONE WHAT IT DID THOSE FIRST FEW YEARS OR EVEN CLOSE TO THAT WIHT OUT A ELITE RB TO DEPEND UPON. Adding Ramsey would have done ZERO  We can debate your above list on doing what Zeke could...  none of them have to this point so...     and yes no superbowls in that stretch and thanks to a commish and the zeke suspension one year was killed.  But two of those years this team was competing.  With out ZEKE  I would say 1 Dak would have not had the development into the QB he is NOW and he wouldn't have lasted that season as a starter and I would have bet on Dallas having under 8 wins in 2016.  And Romo retires and we end up drafting a different Rookie QB in 2017 who isn't Mahomes unless we make a huge trade..

LISTEN I get it.....    if we had Ramsey on this team it would be great. And to add Ramsey to last years team...  FOR SURE ADDING RAMSEY OVER ZEKE LAST YEAR WOULD BE A HUGE IMPROVEMENT.  as it would this year.   I doubt that helps us beat SF as that does nothing to help our OL, or our DL but hey.   But Ramsey over Zeke doesn't help us much in 2020 or 2019 or 2018 much and especially 2016  that is my point.    The thing is I don't think people really understand and appreciate just how much having Zeke in 2016 changed this team.  The also don't seem to understand how fragile the situation can be for a rookie QB to succeed.  In the last couple decades I can think off the top of my head only TWO rookie QB who played with a 'bad' team starting his rookie year and was able to turn it around to superbowl fav in later years.   Burrow is one of those and Allen  Murray might be three is he survives in AZ.

I love DAK as a QB and think he can win a superbowl.  But with out Zeke his first two years or Zeke's equal, Dak doesn't become the QB he is now. And we already would have a different QB leading the Dallas Cowboys..