NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

14 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Well he pops up into any thread involving the Rams and picks against them or downplays a move or individual player. It's like clockwork.

Agreed on the crowd, and given the recent results AND the way the Niners are playing, y'all should definitely be favored here.

I mean you guys are playing great ball as well and were just up 27-3 against the Bucs.

I'm just saying I don't agree with the Rams getting the usual -3 points as the home team...Since the Niners will have more fans at the game. Maybe that is more so the travel and being away from home type of thing...I don't know.

But really, does it matter who is the favorite? Just for gamblers not us fans. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Same thing some of us have been doing since making the selection - 

Regretting the pick lol 

But no, seriously. NOthing. We like to run a defensive line 9 deep so we will have a spot. He's jut not going to be the game breaker this team envisioned 

Exactly this. Kinlaw, until proven otherwise, is a rotational run-stopping 3T. 

With Key and Armstead balling out as interior pass rushers, Jones a force at nose, and Givens and Street providing quality depth, It will be on Kinlaw to prove he deserves snaps as anything other than an early down run stopper. 

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Exactly this. Kinlaw, until proven otherwise, is a rotational run-stopping 3T. 

With Key and Armstead balling out as interior pass rushers, Jones a force at nose, and Givens and Street providing quality depth, It will be on Kinlaw to prove he deserves snaps as anything other than an early down run stopper. 

The one thing that also comes in to play is that some of those guys won't be back. DJJ is a guy I'm really curious to see if we bring back (especially with Kinlaw sitting there). Street is a FA. Key is a FA. Jones.

• Like 1

Cam Akers hopefully puts us over the edge. He barely played in the Week 18 matchup, but since he's gotten going the last 2 games, it's not a coincidence that Stafford hasn't thrown an INT. Defenses cannot drop more in coverage like they did with Michel, they need to account for Akers at all times. It helps Stafford alot.

If Stafford doesn't turn the ball over, Rams win.

If he does turn it over, SF wins. That's just how I see it.

Sidenote: Best division in football. Hats off to both teams making it this far. 

• Like 2

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Cam Akers hopefully puts us over the edge. He barely played in the Week 18 matchup, but since he's gotten going the last 2 games, it's not a coincidence that Stafford hasn't thrown an INT. Defenses cannot drop more in coverage like they did with Michel, they need to account for Akers at all times. It helps Stafford alot.

If Stafford doesn't turn the ball over, Rams win.

If he does turn it over, SF wins. That's just how I see it.

Sidenote: Best division in football. Hats off to both teams making it this far. 

Well, the Niners likely won't put extra man in the box keying in on Akers. They will rely on their front to get it done. If they can't contain him and have to bring a safety to the box? That will change everything and give the Rams an advantage in the passing game. But they didn't overreact to the decent runs Dallas and GB had and I don't think they do so against the Rams either.

LIS, it's pretty simple. Your run game and OL vs our DL. Can we win that battle again and force the offense to be one dimensional? If so, we should be fine and should be able to generate a turnover or two. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

The one thing that also comes in to play is that some of those guys won't be back. DJJ is a guy I'm really curious to see if we bring back (especially with Kinlaw sitting there). Street is a FA. Key is a FA. Jones.

If we pass up on Jones because of Kinlaw, I will lose my mind. Jones will be expensive, but is starting to hit his prime. Street I forgot is a FA and wouldn't be awful if we didn't bring him back, but he also should be very cheap. Key is a priority, IMO.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, the Niners likely won't put extra man in the box keying in on Akers. They will rely on their front to get it done. If they can't contain him and have to bring a safety to the box? That will change everything and give the Rams an advantage in the passing game. But they didn't overreact to the decent runs Dallas and GB had and I don't think they do so against the Rams either.

LIS, it's pretty simple. Your run game and OL vs our DL. Can we win that battle again and force the offense to be one dimensional? If so, we should be fine and should be able to generate a turnover or two. 

Yeah that's what we will find out. Akers is an improvement over Michel and if we can build another early lead, I have faith Akers can move the chains alot better than Michel couldn't in Week 18. If we get behind, I'll be nervous. If we build another early lead, I don't see us giving it up again. Shanahan has dominated McVay though. We shall see

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Yeah that's what we will find out. Akers is an improvement over Michel and if we can build another early lead, I have faith Akers can move the chains alot better than Michel couldn't in Week 18. If we get behind, I'll be nervous. If we build another early lead, I don't see us giving it up again. Shanahan has dominated McVay though. We shall see

I mean Akers has made some nice receptions and has had some good runs but he's not exactly lighting it up right now. Bucs run defense is insane so that was expected but I don't see the Niners overreacting to Akers. They will follow the script and rely on the front to get busy and then play sound ball on the back end. If we can't get the same type of pressure? Then Stafford will have his chances to do damage down the field. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Akers has made some nice receptions and has had some good runs but he's not exactly lighting it up right now. Bucs run defense is insane so that was expected but I don't see the Niners overreacting to Akers. They will follow the script and rely on the front to get busy and then play sound ball on the back end. If we can't get the same type of pressure? Then Stafford will have his chances to do damage down the field. 

He lit it up against Arizona, not sure what you're referring to. Bucs had arguably the best run defense in the NFL/best LBs in football and with a 20pt lead it was easy to expect run plays. The fumbles were concerning. Noteboom was actually a pleasant surprise in Whitworth's absence, have to hope Stafford gets his opportuntities.

If the 49ers do not overreact to Akers, you won't hear me complaining lol Last year vs SF he had 9 carries for 84 yards and TD. I understand why Akers wouldnt move the needle for you considering he's only played against them in 1 of 4 possible contests. I think he will be a difference maker in this matchup, but I'm obviously biased. 

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He lit it up against Arizona, not sure what you're referring to. Bucs had arguably the best run defense in the NFL/best LBs in football and with a 20pt lead it was easy to expect run plays. The fumbles were concerning. Noteboom was actually a pleasant surprise in Whitworth's absence, have to hope Stafford gets his opportuntities.

If the 49ers do not overreact to Akers, you won't hear me complaining lol Last year vs SF he had 9 carries for 84 yards and TD. I understand why Akers wouldnt move the needle for you considering he's only played against them in 1 of 4 possible contests. I think he will be a difference maker in this matchup, but I'm obviously biased. 

No he didn't light up the Cards in the RUN game. I didn't say he played bad because he had a great run in the 2nd half a long reception. But he had 55 yards on 17 carries. In what world is that lighting it up?

I never said Akers was not a good back.  But he is averaging 2.51 YPC in the last two games. I'm sure he will have his moments but you have to pick your poison and the 49ers have been the best run defense for like 10 weeks now. They aren't going to switch up for Akers. Keep the light box and hope the front can get it done and focus on stopping the big plays. As you know, this team has struggled MIGHTEDLY on 20+ yard throws but are doing better as of late and in large part that is from the adjustment they made with their front. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No he didn't light up the Cards in the RUN game. I didn't say he played bad because he had a great run in the 2nd half a long reception. But he had 55 yards on 17 carries. In what world is that lighting it up?

I never said Akers was not a good back.  But he is averaging 2.51 YPC in the last two games. I'm sure he will have his moments but you have to pick your poison and the 49ers have been the best run defense for like 10 weeks now. They aren't going to switch up for Akers. Keep the light box and hope the front can get it done and focus on stopping the big plays. As you know, this team has struggled MIGHTEDLY on 20+ yard throws but are doing better as of late and in large part that is from the adjustment they made with their front. 

If you're just going to recite the box score then I can see why that would be underwhelming, but with the lead we built in the 1H vs ARI, the runs in the 2H became expected which resulted in the stat line you mentioned, but was not indicative of his performance. It's also HOW he finished runs, hit the hole and moved to the second level; things that Michel just can't do and the box score cannot properly represent. Again, If they're going to match up their front 4 vs our O-line that's something I would look forward to, because eventually Akers is going to find a seam and break one. Long week ahead of us, but excited for the weekend.

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you're just going to recite the box score then I can see why that would be underwhelming, but with the lead we built in the 1H vs ARI, the runs in the 2H became expected which resulted in the stat line you mentioned, but was not indicative of his performance. It's also HOW he finished runs, hit the hole and moved to the second level; things that Michel just can't do and the box score cannot properly represent. Again, If they're going to match up their front 4 vs our O-line that's something I would look forward to, because eventually Akers is going to find a seam and break one. Long week ahead of us, but excited for the weekend.

No, I acknowledged he had some very good runs but he still did not light it up. It was his first REAL action back with a heavy workload so the plays he made were awesome to see and a flashback to last season so his game got hyped it a bit more than reality. 

Akers is a very good back but the Niners can't afford to load up on the box to stop him when they have to contain the Rams WRs. There is a reason why almost every QB throws for below their averages against this pass defense.