NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we win, and he looks good...I think he does. Its very difficult to put the genie back in the bottle at that point after a couple of weeks. Sometimes, a player just forces your hand. Look at Kaep in 2012. I mean, Smith was fantastic that year when he lost his spot. Kaepernick just made them make the move. 

I'm really not sure what Shanny would have done lol. Interesting to think about though.

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd feel more comfortable saying that AA was more valuable in two out of the three years because I do think that they have had a slightly different game (until AA was move inside full time midway through this year). But I think AA was just flat out better than Buck in 2019 (despite Buck's all pro nod, which is something I didn't even agree with at the time). Buckner was awesome last year, so he gets the nod for 2020. This year, its hard to gauge because AA still had to play an edge at points during the season and at times had more of focus on that. So there were times where his job was just different. 

Buckner definitely was better in 2020. He was ELITE last season and very good this year. But I agree Armstead was better in 2019...Armstead was great to start this season but he either ran out of gas or just hit a slump but there was a two or three game stretch where he wasn't the same player....Then when he got moved inside, he's been insane good. But is that enough to put him over Bucker for this year? 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd feel more comfortable saying that AA was more valuable in two out of the three years because I do think that they have had a slightly different game (until AA was move inside full time midway through this year). But I think AA was just flat out better than Buck in 2019 (despite Buck's all pro nod, which is something I didn't even agree with at the time). Buckner was awesome last year, so he gets the nod for 2020. This year, its hard to gauge because AA still had to play an edge at points during the season and at times had more of focus on that. So there were times where his job was just different. 

The calculus was AA/Ward or Buckner, right? 

Definitely think AA/Ward is a better value for our money. And then getting the 13th pick in return was even better. I just wish we had gotten more out of the draft pick we got in the Buckner trade. Kinlaw isn't a bust yet but trending downwards 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Buckner definitely was better in 2020. He was ELITE last season and very good this year. But I agree Armstead was better in 2019...Armstead was great to start this season but he either ran out of gas or just hit a slump but there was a two or three game stretch where he wasn't the same player....Then when he got moved inside, he's been insane good. But is that enough to put him over Bucker for this year? 

Its enough to make me say that the team made the right call, results of the pick we got from the colts be damned. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Its enough to make me say that the team made the right call, results of the pick we got from the colts be damned. 

If it really was an AA/Ward for Buckner type of deal, then yeah you can't argue with that since you got a top 15 pick out of it. 

But it's funny because AA is always good, but at times unspectacular and some thing he is so overrated lol. He was playing the edge because out of necessity but obviously he's an interior tackle all day long. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If it really was an AA/Ward for Buckner type of deal, then yeah you can't argue with that since you got a top 15 pick out of it. 

But it's funny because AA is always good, but at times unspectacular and some thing he is so overrated lol. He was playing the edge because out of necessity but obviously he's an interior tackle all day long. 

Remember how long we all thought he would be traded or not signed because we were going from a 3-4 to a 4-3? lol

Good times. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Remember how long we all thought he would be traded or not signed because we were going from a 3-4 to a 4-3? lol

Good times. 

Heck, we all thought he was gone after 2019. Like very few thought we could afford him since we were about to break the bank for Buckner lol. 

Our run defense wouldn't have been as good with Buckner but I would have loved to see him rush inside with Key. Stupid explosive duo right there. 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Heck, we all thought he was gone after 2019. Like very few thought we could afford him since we were about to break the bank for Buckner lol. 

Our run defense wouldn't have been as good with Buckner but I would have loved to see him rush inside with Key. Stupid explosive duo right there. 

Speaking of inside rush I think an inside rush will be even more beneficial against Matthew Stafford than the edge rush b/c Stafford will go down hard with a rush up the middle since he's not mobile. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Am I crazy to say Fred Warner has been lights out since Greenlaw has been back. And I mean since the bye he has been good but idk feels like he's just been on another level. Azeez, Warner and Greenlaw are just damn good. 

Fred's been playing at an extremely high level for some weeks now. Need another big forced fumble or INT on Sunday! 

Greenlaw has been awesome himself. LB play across the league is kind of suspect and then you watch our backers, and they just move at a different speed. 

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The calculus was AA/Ward or Buckner, right? 

Definitely think AA/Ward is a better value for our money. And then getting the 13th pick in return was even better. I just wish we had gotten more out of the draft pick we got in the Buckner trade. Kinlaw isn't a bust yet but trending downwards 

I think the 49ers could have kept Buckner.  Buckner stated the 49ers didn't really make much of an effort to keep him.  He said he was willing to make concessions. 

Note - I'm not a cap expert so this part isn't 100% certain but...

A lot of people point to the cap hit from Buckner's contract and compare it to Armstead as the rationale.  This is stupid because the Colts had a TON of cap space so they front-loaded it while Armstead's is back-loaded. With one of the top cap guys in the game, I think they could have easily got it done but Buckner wasn't a priority for them.  

Also, can someone explain the argument for Armstead over Buckner in 2019?  Buckner was the centerpiece of the defense. 

Edited by ASmithFan1010

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kittle and Deebo played their butts off against GB and left it all on the field. Kittle had a little stinger or something at the end and he was limping off. Those boys battled.

You have to absolutely love the warrior attitude on this team. 

Fred Warner coming back and playing his best game of the season was so crucial. That josh norman style punch was just as timely and critical as the blocked punt. 

Kittle has been beat up for damn near half the season. 

Deebo hopping off the field to make sure the clock keeps running after he converted the biggest 3rd down of the entire season/his life shows where his head is at. 

These guys want to win so bad. Hopefully they can earn themselves a bye week, we need it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

I think they could have easily got it done but Buckner wasn't a priority for them.  

I will repeat this for you since you are new here, but ive floated this theory several times:

1) They knew Joe Staley was retiring 

2) They knew there werent any franchise LTs available in free agency

3) There were four franchise LTs in the draft 

4) They knew they had to make a trade up for a LT but also knew they needed a top WR in a deep WR draft

5) They traded a guy on a rookie deal for peak value expecting to draft a franchise LT (aka Tristan Wirfs) at pick #13 - premium DT for a premium LT, that is a deal I make almost every time I have the chance/need

6) Trent Williams made the decision to come to SF and was able to scare away other suitors 

7) 49ers pivoted to Kinlaw

If we knew we were going to get trent williams, I wonder if they still would have traded Buckner. It honestly has worked out better than everyone was saying before/during/after the colts game. Arik Armstead slander will no longer be tolerated. 

Regular Season Football GIF by NFL

• Like 2