NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Another what if that I read about on the Atlantic that makes you think. What if the niners had stayed at 11 and drafted Micah Parsons or Rashawn Slater?

I rarely consider hypotheticals like that but this one made me do a double take. I think ,Slater would have been the bigger upgrade with our front seven already being so good but Parsons rushing with Bosa... Ryan's would have had a happy accident.

I wasn't a huge fan of Parsons, but I would have been upset had we passed on Slater for anyone that wasn't a QB. I viewed Slater very similarly to how I did Wirfs the year before where you know he'll be just fine pretty much wherever you play him, so even if you don't need him at tackle right now, you could still plug him in effectively at guard and then eventually move him there and still get a ton of value. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Parsons, but I would have been upset had we passed on Slater for anyone that wasn't a QB. I viewed Slater very similarly to how I did Wirfs the year before where you know he'll be just fine pretty much wherever you play him, so even if you don't need him at tackle right now, you could still plug him in effectively at guard and then eventually move him there and still get a ton of value. 

Yep, obviously this is all Monday morning quarterbacking. Honestly if you had told me before the season that we would make it to the championship game even I would have told you to put the bottle down, sober up some and then come back to the big boy table. But Slater could be/have been the missing piece.

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I dont disagree in principle, more the point is that getting Trey didn't really help us this year. If we come up short one of the next couple of games, would having one of those two have given us a super bowl victory? I guess it doesn't matter until/if we lose this weekend or the superbowl. We are lucky as a franchise and have been to 7 in my lifetime but they are still rare.

I think the banks and sermon picks should be looked back on through this lense.

QBs are QBs and you need to make the move when you need to make the move. It couldnt be avoided. We knew he would need some time to develop. 

Getting nothing out of our next two picks is the more egregious error. That is where we needed to get, at minimum, a role player. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think the banks and sermon picks should be looked back on through this lense.

QBs are QBs and you need to make the move when you need to make the move. It couldnt be avoided. We knew he would need some time to develop. 

Getting nothing out of our next two picks is the more egregious error. That is where we needed to get, at minimum, a role player. 

Or an all pro if we took Creed Humphrey. Might not get his *** kicked by Kenny Clark twice a year lol.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JIllg said:

Or an all pro if we took Creed Humphrey. Might not get his *** kicked by Kenny Clark twice a year lol.

I sounds like Kyle picked Sermon because Bobby Turner really liked him. Its almost like Kyle said ok you can have him but Well take this guy from Louisiana and He'll be better than Sermon

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

I sounds like Kyle picked Sermon because Bobby Turner really liked him. Its almost like Kyle said ok you can have him but Well take this guy from Louisiana and He'll be better than Sermon

I mean, we did end up with Javon Kinlaw because Kocurek loved the heck out of him. And I appreciate that Kocurek is an awesome defensive line coach. And Kinlaw was a consensus to go in that range, even though there were some (cough *Forge* cough) that weren't fans because of his limited pass rush skills. I think what was missed (by myself among others) was 1. the injury history and 2. the overall youth and inexperience of the prospect. Everyone knew that he was profoundly talented and raw. They also knew that he worked hard (eventually) to get to a good playing weight and dominated. But he was a guy that was going to need to jump leaps and bounds in the NFL (based on his prodigious length/strength/quickness/anchor) after getting a big paycheck, and to my eyes he's kind of been South Carolina Javon since he's gotten here.  It might not have been possible to progress much - he's had a bunch of difficult injuries that have affected his lower body and cost him valuable reps. But he's never felt to me like a guy that's fully locked in yet. And his first year, he was definitely out of shape. He had trouble playing more than 5 reps in a row without being gassed. Anyhow, long story short, maybe professional talent evaluators should have more weight on early round picks. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't have been a fan if we were planning on playing him strictly off the ball, but I think you could see he had some natural pass rush ability at Penn State and he was a DE in high school, so I think I mentioned that we could draft him and put his hand back in the dirt. He just seemed to be such a freak it didn't seem like he could fail. 

As far as Slater, I thought he'd be a good player, but though he might have to kick inside. He certainly proved me wrong. 

42 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I mean, we did end up with Javon Kinlaw because Kocurek loved the heck out of him. And I appreciate that Kocurek is an awesome defensive line coach. And Kinlaw was a consensus to go in that range, even though there were some (cough *Forge* cough) that weren't fans because of his limited pass rush skills. I think what was missed (by myself among others) was 1. the injury history and 2. the overall youth and inexperience of the prospect. Everyone knew that he was profoundly talented and raw. They also knew that he worked hard (eventually) to get to a good playing weight and dominated. But he was a guy that was going to need to jump leaps and bounds in the NFL (based on his prodigious length/strength/quickness/anchor) after getting a big paycheck, and to my eyes he's kind of been South Carolina Javon since he's gotten here.  It might not have been possible to progress much - he's had a bunch of difficult injuries that have affected his lower body and cost him valuable reps. But he's never felt to me like a guy that's fully locked in yet. And his first year, he was definitely out of shape. He had trouble playing more than 5 reps in a row without being gassed. Anyhow, long story short, maybe professional talent evaluators should have more weight on early round picks. 

I made mention of Kinlaw's rawness when he was drafted. I mentioned to @Forge that though I like Kinlaw's potential, he was going to need at least two years to develop before ppl really start to see his potential.

I also said that he also needed to remain relatively healthy so he could get the required game reps to develop his skillset. His rookie year was great in that he missed very little time. His second year was a wash so he's behind the 8-Ball imo, from being on track to be a impact player heading into his third year. Those knees of his was always a concern. How much of a concern depends on how much you like the player at the end of the day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I was absolutely not a Parsons fan. I live near where he grew up and in the heart of Penn State world and there were some really, really troubling things about Parsons' makeup and character.

I'm the kind of guy that no matter how talented you are, if you're a crap human being, I don't want you on my team. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was absolutely not a Parsons fan. I live near where he grew up and in the heart of Penn State world and there were some really, really troubling things about Parsons' makeup and character.

I'm the kind of guy that no matter how talented you are, if you're a crap human being, I don't want you on my team. 

I'd be interested to hear about that. I didn't read anything crazy negative about his character, but it's certainly possible that I missed it. All that I knew was that he was a plus athlete, seemed like an alpha, and his instincts were pretty amazing. 

14 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I'd be interested to hear about that. I didn't read anything crazy negative about his character, but it's certainly possible that I missed it. All that I knew was that he was a plus athlete, seemed like an alpha, and his instincts were pretty amazing. 

It's a lot of stuff that would get flagged on here but he was a leader in a hazing ring at PSU that involved putting certain areas of your body on younger teammates forcefully to show you "own" them. He's a bully. He bullied people at PSU and apparently was the same way in high school. Bad character guy.

Switching gears to Slater - I was a fan of him the moment I learned about him during the draft season. Now, I'm very happy with Lance. I wouldn't do that over. And, I don't think Slater was realistic because the team seems to really like McG. In hindsight, Slater at RT right would be big time, but you can't go into that pick thinking our RT is going to go down for the year, so we need a tackle here. 

Edited by NinerNation21