Dune: Part 2 (Villeneuve}

vike daddy

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE CONTAINS NO SPOILERS. (as if you could spoil a story that's been out there for 60 years anyway...)

i saw Dune 2 today and have to say it's pretty much magnificent.

for me at least, i'd say it's 3 or 4 times better than Part 1. it's as if Part 1 was all character intro and world building at the 100 and 200 college level, and Part 2 is the thesis delivery.

it's far more than just a sci fi film, which it definitely delivers on quite well, but is also a cultural statement dealing with the effects of oppression, gender equality, religious fanaticism, power, and that despite another 20,000 years of human development, we're still a barbarous and primitive race that really hasn't changed since the Roman Empire.

Frank Herbert would be not only quite proud to see this film, but perhaps even be envious of how Villenue's adaption improved on his messaging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So when's Dune Messiah happening?

Denis is writing it now, could see it being a Fall 2026 so it’s more positioned for awards. 
Don’t think they’ll be filming it til the fall at the earliest. Some of them like Pugh are filming stuff now until the summer. They only delayed it because of the strike, so spring 2026 is in the cards.

But Denis also said in the past he’d like to wait for the cast to age. So might not be getting it til like 2028.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

didn't like dune 1. loved dune 2. 

Similar. Thought the first one was fine. Second one felt like that for a bit, but ended up being much better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Liked Dune 2 a good bit. Solid 8.5/10 for me

Villeneuve simply doesn’t miss. Very comfortable saying Villeneuve >>> Nolan at this point.

Hard disagree on that. Look at The Dark Knight compared to Dune 2. I'm just not seeing the justification for the level of praise this good, not great film is getting.

3 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Hard disagree on that. Look at The Dark Knight compared to Dune 2. I'm just not seeing the justification for the level of praise this good, not great film is getting.

I felt the same way about Dark Knight. I thought it was a solid but too long superhero film. Dunkirk and Interstellar got rave reviews and were straight up boring to me. Tenet was straight garbage. I like the Prestige and Memento a lot, Inception is decent and that’s about it. I like Batman Begins too but the 2nd/3rd Dark Knight movies are way overhyped to me. I still need to see Oppenheimer but I already know what that movie’s gonna be having seen all the other Nolan films.

I think Prisoners, Arrival, Sicario, and Blade Runner 2049 dominates whatever top 4 you could throw out for Nolan. 

Edited by Ray Reed

33 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

TDK is massively overrated as a movie. 

I have conflicting thoughts about it. I love it, but can admit that it's carried by a couple great set pieces and an absolute all-time heavyweight performance by Ledger.

What it did for comic book movies can't be denied, but a lot of people overlook its flaws because they enjoyed it (Ledger) so much.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I have conflicting thoughts about it. I love it, but can admit that it's carried by a couple great set pieces and an absolute all-time heavyweight performance by Ledger.

What it did for comic book movies can't be denied, but a lot of people overlook its flaws because they enjoyed it (Ledger) so much.

Yep. I love it, myself, but I can admit that it's flawed as hell and it stands on Ledger's performance and a few iconic moments. Overall, it's not really an outstanding film.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. I love it, myself, but I can admit that it's flawed as hell and it stands on Ledger's performance and a few iconic moments. Overall, it's not really an outstanding film.

These are My thoughts as well. Ledgers performance puts this higher on people’s list than it should be.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

TDK is massively overrated as a movie. 

within the super hero genre it's fantastic. but as an art piece that makes you think about the intricacies of the universe and humanity's role in them... eh, not so much.

4 hours ago, August4th said:

I always wonder what kind of career and roles ledger would of had in the 10's. I think he was up for the Max role in Fury road.

He could have done anything he wanted. Definitely would have been interesting to see what kind of career he chose.