2022 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not gonna bump the old thread but it's almost copy and paste the conversation last year's free agency thread. 

"Worried"

"Mediocre team now"

"Got worse"

I was one of the leaders in that talk. I had huge concerns about the direction of the team, then they exceeded expectations (playoffs were another story but I digress). That’s why I’m just in wait and see mode.

Jon Robinson has proven he has a pretty good handle on things, so I’m going to trust him to figure things out. He’s earned it.

• Like 1

The TE market is confusing to me/the Titans not jumping in on it. Like even if the idea is you draft the true #1 guy, there's dudes going for dirt cheap right now(relative) that would make for really good #2s, or in a pinch/the draft pick not being stellar right away, decent #1s.

Not getting in on like an OJ Howard deal when all he was getting was 3.5 mil does feel like a missed opportunity.

If options were going off at unfathomable price tags it makes a lot more sense, but not picking any of the decent options up for relative cheap is a strategy that could come back to bite us at that position.

Could be trades or whatever is the route they go down to address TE, but it feels strange in an off season where our FO and coaching staff admit we need to be elite around Tannehill to win a ring that we're largely ignoring the TE position, which with the Jonnu/Firkser/Pruitt combo over the years he saw a decent bit of success throwing to. Perhaps Kelly's change to the passing scheme takes away a lot of the TE targets we've seen the last few years though.

Not blaming them for not spending a ton in FA this year, but massive misses like the 2020 draft and the Julio pick, while giving average players like Dupree 20m per year get you in this situation.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and the Julio trade I was on board for, but the others I was never a fan of.

57 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Not blaming them for not spending a ton in FA this year, but massive misses like the 2020 draft and the Julio pick, while giving average players like Dupree 20m per year get you in this situation.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 and the Julio trade I was on board for, but the others I was never a fan of.

In what world is Bud average?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

In what world is Bud average?

we can split hairs over whether “average” is the correct descriptor or we can all just acknowledge the obvious fact that he’s ridiculously overpaid relative to the actual caliber of player that he is and, whether or not he’s an average player, he was certainly an average-at-best FA signing who we gave a big contract to while there were better and cheaper options available, and will likely be a cap casualty in the next year or two

I seem to recall our pass rush falling off a cliff in terms of being able to consistently pressure the QB when Bud went down. 

I try to not get caught up in $ guys are making and how on-paper stats need to match up to the salary. And I'm not even a big proponent of the "dirty work" guys a la Derrick Morgan. Go make a splash play once in a while for pete's sake (which Bud does and Morgan never did).

Bud is so clearly a PIECE of a very important quartet on our defensive line. We had 5 combined sacks in the games he missed and I specifically recall Mac Jones having ALL DAY when we played NE (cue the "mac gets the ball out fast!" crowd). All those guys -- Autry/Simmons/Landry/Dupree -- are very good to great NFL players even if they're not all filling the stat column. I don't think Dupree is an exceptional pass rusher, but he's a smart and impactful player who oh-so-obviously does oh-so-much to open up lanes for the rest of the guys. Take one look at a Baldy Breakdown of our DL and it's clear the role Bud plays. 

I didn't even like the Bud signing. He's making a lot of money, sure. But it's tied up in a guy who plays a big role in this defense in both run and pass D. Our front 4 was probably the best in the NFL last year. And it wouldn't have been if Bud was just an "average" player. Who cares where the money is getting tied up in on any given year when a unit is dominating?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deeluxx3 said:

Who cares where the money is getting tied up in on any given year when a unit is dominating?

????? feels like everyone should care when we're 1-deep at WR and TE combined, have serious questions at CB and along the OL, and almost certainly are not going to be able to fix all of that in one offseason in part because we have very little money to spend. you have to build a whole team. 

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

I’m terrified if we don’t land one of the first five players on this list (which we could, this isn’t me complaining, just noting the cliff that the WR position falls off after Juju.

Prepare for fright night then lol. 

I don't see Juju because they had all the chances to get him last off season and didn't even sniff him. Maybe they knew they were gonna do Julio thing. 

And trade with what for Locket and Metcalf? For the record I'd trade an 1st today for Metcalf. 

Hard to see us doing it. Seeing we don't have an 2nd. 

I think we will live in the singles and doubles and draft one in the 1st. 

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I seem to recall our pass rush falling off a cliff in terms of being able to consistently pressure the QB when Bud went down. 

I try to not get caught up in $ guys are making and how on-paper stats need to match up to the salary. And I'm not even a big proponent of the "dirty work" guys a la Derrick Morgan. Go make a splash play once in a while for pete's sake (which Bud does and Morgan never did).

Bud is so clearly a PIECE of a very important quartet on our defensive line. We had 5 combined sacks in the games he missed and I specifically recall Mac Jones having ALL DAY when we played NE (cue the "mac gets the ball out fast!" crowd). All those guys -- Autry/Simmons/Landry/Dupree -- are very good to great NFL players even if they're not all filling the stat column. I don't think Dupree is an exceptional pass rusher, but he's a smart and impactful player who oh-so-obviously does oh-so-much to open up lanes for the rest of the guys. Take one look at a Baldy Breakdown of our DL and it's clear the role Bud plays. 

I didn't even like the Bud signing. He's making a lot of money, sure. But it's tied up in a guy who plays a big role in this defense in both run and pass D. Our front 4 was probably the best in the NFL last year. And it wouldn't have been if Bud was just an "average" player. Who cares where the money is getting tied up in on any given year when a unit is dominating?

You talking to some guys who don’t understand football from a schematic standpoint all they know is stats. Sometimes playing within a system you have to sacrifice #s for team. Ask Richard Seymoure what type of #s he would’ve had playing in a 43 vs a 3-4 an potential a 1st ballot HOF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -Hope- said:

????? feels like everyone should care when we're 1-deep at WR and TE combined, have serious questions at CB and along the OL, and almost certainly are not going to be able to fix all of that in one offseason in part because we have very little money to spend. you have to build a whole team. 

Thats this year at this very moment in time. And we are like two days into FA. I think this entire forum was feeling like, going into last year, we had one of our most talented rosters ever. And we did. 

should Harold be getting his $? Ryan? Byard? Lewan? Henry?

was investing in guys like bud and Autry last year not worth it? Bud isn’t the only player getting paid on this team.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

You talking to some guys who don’t understand football from a schematic standpoint all they know is stats. Sometimes playing within a system you have to sacrifice #s for team. Ask Richard Seymoure what type of #s he would’ve had playing in a 43 vs a 3-4 an potential a 1st ballot HOF

Or he's just "good" and was given a franchise defining contract approaching QB contract numbers.

When your entire argument is nothing more than an insult at the poster it does little more than make you look ignorant to anyone capable of looking past an insult and an outdated and irrelevant anecdote.