Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think after today they will be all in on Brown & Eberflus...just too much smoke without fire from the beat writers.

I would be totally fine with Brown and Eberflus.

I think Brown's experience in multiple stops is an asset and as long as Eberflus has a plan for Fields I think he seems like a guy who can run a team.

At least he has more pelts on the wall then Andy's coffee boy.

• Like 1

I would be fine with Brown and Eberflus as well but I'd still prefer Daboll as the HC.

I just think he gives us the best chance to develop Fields into a superstar QB.

Eberflus seems like a strong leader and from all accounts players love him, but who is his OC going to be?

21 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Didn't Dodds withdraw his name from a job or two last year? I'm not able to look at twitter right now but IIRC I read that last offseason. Maybe he's looking for a great team's GM to die or some s*** so he can take over a perfect situation

Or maybe he just prefers a certain power structure and/or responsibilities.  Odds are if a person is taking themselves out of consideration, they may not view the move as a promotion even if it technically is.  Right now, Dobbs' job security isn't even close to in question. And if you're not a huge believer in Fields, then the Bears' gig might not be that appealing to candidates and without a FRP this year and only two picks inside the top 120 picks.  If you're wanting the Bears' gig, you've got feel comfortable with Justin Fields.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think after today they will be all in on Brown & Eberflus...just too much smoke without fire from the beat writers.

I think Eberflus is going to be a good HC, I really do but I wonder why the Bears aren't going with an offensive coach.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Or maybe he just prefers a certain power structure and/or responsibilities.  Odds are if a person is taking themselves out of consideration, they may not view the move as a promotion even if it technically is.  Right now, Dobbs' job security isn't even close to in question. And if you're not a huge believer in Fields, then the Bears' gig might not be that appealing to candidates and without a FRP this year and only two picks inside the top 120 picks.  If you're wanting the Bears' gig, you've got feel comfortable with Justin Fields.

So why did he take the interview? If he isn't happy about a lack of picks and isn't thrilled with Fields, why waste your time?

Allegedly this is 4 he has turned his back on after the first interview. That's an Ed Dodds issue.

Edited by beardown3231

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Morocco Brown interests me. I am starting to really lean towards guys who have been in multiple organizations.

Pace and Nagy were both in only 1 organization under 1 regime and they both did a piss poor job trying to copy the only thing they new.

A breadth of knowledge of game and other orgs. helps in coaching and being a GM.

I don't understand how this is your full time job and you only know offense or defense or scouting or whatever.  That seems lazy to me.   

It really isn't rocket science.  A smart person could learn an entire offense or defense really good in a matter of a few months with a teacher. 

A little longer just by sitting in meetings and watching in background.  

Then you get really good at adjustments and nuance over the years.   The cat and mouse of different counters.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe to get an idea of how the Bears' organization was going to be ran.  LIS, my guess is he wasn't a fan of the power structure, but that's 100% speculation.

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with the power structure because Bears ownership is very hands off when it comes to letting their GM run the entire football operation.  I mean what more could a prospective GM want?

If anything it may have more to do with your other point of Dodds being comfortable in his current role as Colts assistant GM and perhaps not being too encouraged by the Bears lack of resources this offseason and current QB situation..but then again I don't know how he can look at the Colts QB situation and feel that much better 😄

The fact that he's already withdrawn from two other GM processes last year (Carolina & Detroit) both of which had high draft picks where he could have addressed the QB situations in those respective spots tells me that maybe he's just not cut out to run a team at this stage in his career

• Like 1

Just now, abstract_thought said:

Dodds' withdrawal gives me pause about ownership making real changes at the higher levels of the organization.

He took a look behind the curtain, conferred with Ballard, and took his name out of the running. That's not a good sign IMO.

But he did the same to Carolina, Cleveland and Detroit. It's apparent he's looking for a perfect situation. Ballard is 41-40. Maybe he should stop conferring with him. I believe George when he says the GM has full power of the football team. What would Dodds dislike about that?

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe to get an idea of how the Bears' organization was going to be ran.  LIS, my guess is he wasn't a fan of the power structure, but that's 100% speculation.

Sure is

9 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Dodds' withdrawal gives me pause about ownership making real changes at the higher levels of the organization.

He took a look behind the curtain, conferred with Ballard, and took his name out of the running. That's not a good sign IMO.

Ownership has already stressed several times that whoever the new Bears GM will have free reign to run the football operation.  Also they will not have to report to any one other than George McCaskey.

What more could Bears ownership do, short of selling the team, to restructure their organization in order to make it attractive for these guys?

That's why I think it's being blown out of proportion a bit that Dodds withdrew his candidacy.  Maybe Bears indicated they were no longer seriously considering him or for other reasons...

As mentioned Dodds withdrew his name from two other GM searches in the past year so it's not like he's making a precedent here by sticking it to the Bears organization.

Edited by topwop1

35 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think it's Khan/? or Brown/Eberflus

Khan could make sense with Leftwich given the Pitt connection but I still would have them behind Brown/Eberflus if I was a betting man...I think George looks at how we were under Lovie Smith and thinks an updated version of that with a better QB will be enough to win...he could be right if we can build like Indy has but with Fields in the fold.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with the power structure because Bears ownership is very hands off when it comes to letting their GM run the entire football operation.  I mean what more could a prospective GM want?

If anything it may have more to do with your other point of Dodds being comfortable in his current role as Colts assistant GM and perhaps not being too encouraged by the Bears lack of resources this offseason and current QB situation..but then again I don't know how he can look at the Colts QB situation and feel that much better 😄

The fact that he's already withdrawn from two other GM processes last year (Carolina & Detroit) both of which had high draft picks where he could have addressed the QB situations in those respective spots tells me that maybe he's just not cut out to run a team at this stage in his career

We can assume two things pretty safely.  We know that he knew that the Bears lacked their FRP and 4th round pick as part of the Justin Fields trade.  We also knew that Justin Fields would be the Bears' starting QB in 2022.  I wouldn't understand why you would interview for a position if either of those two were a dealbreaker.  So that leads me to speculate that there's something behind the curtains that wasn't appealing to Dodds.  Is it possible that ownership wants a defensive-minded HC and Dodds wants the freedom to pick his own choice?