Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Caldwell is a good coach. If you take out the Peyton broken neck tank season he is 60-36 as a HC, he knows offense, he is a QB coach.

We could do much worse than Caldwell.

Guy went 36-28 with 2 playoff appearances in 4 seasons with the Lions. He's a good coach.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I will also say though I don't want Caldwell as HC...at 67 years old even if he is a solid option for us now we are back to looking for a new HC in a maximum if 5 years...we need to find long term stability.

This is my concern with Caldwell. If he was 10 years younger he'd be a slam dunk hire but he's not and he also had some health concerns a couple years ago which forced him to withdraw from the Dolphins OC spot under Flores...so I wonder how much time we can really expect to get from him.

I'd be much more apt to the idea of him coming in as OC under a HC like Eberflus or Flores. That would be a good move 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Hopefully Leftwich smashed it and is brought back for a 2nd interview...that said money is still on Eberflus.

Leftwich is a guy I can see being hired under a GM like Omar Khan. The two know each other from Leftwich's time in Pittsburgh.

Also it should be mentioned that Khan has ties to current Bears college scouting director Mark Sadowski as they are friends

After Dodds was ruled out Khan is my next top pick to oversee the entire Bears football operation

Edited by topwop1

53 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Caldwell is a good coach. If you take out the Peyton broken neck tank season he is 60-36 as a HC, he knows offense, he is a QB coach.

We could do much worse than Caldwell.

67 is too old.  Not too old to continue as a HC, but too old to start a new gig as one.   I mean if you have a well running machine going that is fine.   The start up and culture change and all that generally takes a lot of energy.

I would say 50s is optimal.   40s with a good staff.   I don't like hiring guys in their 30s unless they have an old guy they are super close to that they will listen to that comes with them like Shanahan and his dad.

• Like 1

Well I'm not overly bummed about Schoen because he wasn't super high on my list for GM and it appears he wasn't high on Bears list either since he wasn't invited back for a 2nd interview, but I fear this might take Daboll out of the running for us now which would be a shame.

I would at least like to have some clarity soon on who the Bears GM will be but I also feel like we will hear the next Bears GM and HC being hired at the same time

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Well other teams will eliminate candidates for you.  

If Bill Polian hires the Indy guy(s) I suspect the process is a bit of a farce.  

I expect that someone with some ties to Polian will be hired in some capacity, whether that's at GM, Director of Pro Personnel/College Scouting, Assistant GM, Head Coach, OC/DC, etc.

You just have to accept that will likely be the case given his involvement, and I'm totally fine with that considering a lot of good football people are connected to him.

But yes I kind of get what you're saying about the process being a farce if that's the case.  I mean if they already know who they want then they should just make the hires already..

22 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I really liked Schoen as a candidate even if some of that was tied to the idea he brings Daboll with him...I suspect that is the route the Giants go to try and get more out of Jones...that said if Flores goes there we could see the Giants trade their 2 high 1st round picks for Watson...could make sense all round...

My hope is this makes us sit up and want to get on with these last few GM interviews and get the finalists in for a proper interview before we get the HC candidates back in...Schoen will have a lot of backing to bring in his guy and as much as I feel we fend off a team like Jacksonville things get more interesting against NY...

I still feel we are all in on Morocco Brown & Matt Eberflus so this shouldn't hurt us too much.

• Like 1

Aaron Leming

@AaronLemingNFL

·

20m

With the report of Ryan Poles currently interviewing for the #Bears GM job, it appears they'll have 3 GM interviews to get through this weekend to make Morocco Brown the final GM interview on Monday. Frazier on the docket for today & Bowles/Quinn tomorrow.

With Poles interviewing just now and the fact I doubt Rick Smith takes an interview we only have three more GM candidates to interview with are JoJo Wooden who I don't see as a serious candidate...Omar Khan & Morocco Brown who I do expect to be very highly regarded...

When it comes to the HC search we get Frazier today (hell no)...Quinn & Bowles tomorrow then Allen on Tuesday for their first interviews...

Eberflus interviews in person on Monday...

Looks like we will have finalists at GM by Tuesday and at HC by Wednesday so probably make a hire by this time next week...

Having went through Bill Polian's guidelines for hiring an HC I can't see how our next coach is not Matt Eberflus.

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

With Poles interviewing just now and the fact I doubt Rick Smith takes an interview we only have three more GM candidates to interview with are JoJo Wooden who I don't see as a serious candidate...Omar Khan & Morocco Brown who I do expect to be very highly regarded...

When it comes to the HC search we get Frazier today (hell no)...Quinn & Bowles tomorrow then Allen on Tuesday for their first interviews...

Eberflus interviews in person on Monday...

Looks like we will have finalists at GM by Tuesday and at HC by Wednesday so probably make a hire by this time next week...

Having went through Bill Polian's guidelines for hiring an HC I can't see how our next coach is not Matt Eberflus.

We should know more after this weekend IMO when more of the candidates become available after their teams are knocked out. Eberflus is available now for a 2nd interview because his team is already out. If BUF and/or TB are knocked out in the next 2 days I’d be surprised if their candidates aren’t put on 2nd interview lists shortly thereafter too.

I actually find it more noteworthy that Flores (also free right now) is not set for a 2nd interview.

I still think they should hire the GM before any final interviews take place. Frankly I’m not sure why a 2nd, in-person GM interview is even necessary. What new is that candidate going to tell you about his vision for the team/roster being asked about it for a second time? Most 2nd interviews are to get input from additional people - in this case, all those we are being told are in on the decision making process were already on the first interviews. 

Edited by AZBearsFan