Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is just so completely off-base.

First of all, Pete Caroll has been consistently in the league for 22 seasons, 16 as a head coach. He has skins on the wall, multiple Super Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl Trophy.

Bill Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time.

Jim Caldwell is a bum.

I wouldn't say "bum" but yeah I'd have a hard time getting down with that hire. He's had a lot of success even in dogs*** places like Detroit. His worst year was Manning's neck season. But there's something about a quiet old guy that doesn't move the needle for me. If he's the guy, I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

I’m listening….

It reads like "right now" but I think he's insinuating that he'd get the title of President and GM once Phillips retires

32 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I really dont get this line of thinking? In no way am I saying Caldwell is the guy who should be hired, but arbitrarily saying a certain age is too old to be a HC is kind of ignorant. Carrol is 70 and he would coach that team till he cant walk and chew his bubble gum anymore. Belichick is about to turn 70 and anyone suggesting hes done looks like a fool, some even expecting to stick around through most of Mac's career.

Again, these are the outliers right now, but just as players are getting older. so will coaches. Its about is his mind still sharp with the game, can he still connect with players and lead a locker room. To be thinking beyond 5 years down the line right now, seems more foolish to me than worrying about a Head Coaches age, you need to get the right now correct, and make the most out of your new franchise QB. And theres an argument to be made that Caldwell could be the best to do that.

And calling out his most recent year in the league as 2019? I know the past 2 calendar years have felt like a Decade, but its not that long of a gap. Wasnt this the same fan base that had someone say that the team should be sold if Harbaugh didnt get a legit interview? And his last time in the league was a checked out 2014. 

Again, I dont think Caldwell is the best option out there for a HC, but he certainly isnt the worst, and would be a very steady hand for both the franchise an its young QB. Id rather have him as the OC with a guy like Eberflus, but pretending it would be some garbage hire is going too far.

It's not arbitrary.

Creating a program in a new place is a different energy from keeping one going and age effects everyone.  It is reality we all deal with.

It's not that hard to understand.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I wouldn't say "bum" but yeah I'd have a hard time getting down with that hire.

Bum is harsh, I'm just annoyed and pissed off. I don't need a dude pushing 70 building an offense around my puppy QB.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The situation is very different Caroll has been there for 11 years...Belichick forever...they have a culture in place as well as a ton of people in that building who know exactly how everything should run...

Our new HC is going to need the energy to change everything about this franchise...I just don't believe that is feasible for a guy who is 67 years old.

Do you think it takes 6-8-10 years to change a culture? No, it will be determined Day One when the new HC walks through that door. Sure it will take a year or two to weed out some of the old guard, but if you are in year 3/4 and still waiting on a culture change, then you have picked the wrong guy. 

I know Im new around here, but it does seem some of you have been hurt so much by the past, that you cant even see the forest for the trees anymore.

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

Jim Caldwell is a bum.

I mean this is absurd. If this is your true assessment then there is no reasoning with you.

Caldwell took the Lions to the playoffs twice, and is their best winning HC since the 50s. 

You seem to want something flashy, but after Trestman an Nagy i would have assumed you might want to rethink that. Obviously dont go to the other extreme, ala John Fox, but you are very much putting Fields as a singular entity over the entire team, it just doesnt work like that.

If fields is good, hes going to be good. If he was average or alittle better, and needs to be propped up by a OC or Offensive HC, that house of cards will tumble eventually. And then your right back in an undesirable situation.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

That was one person on Twitter while commenting on a report from Dave Wannestedt about Harbaugh.  I wouldn’t out that on the whole fanbase.

Yes, I know. I was being a bit obtuse to make a point about being out if the NFL for "too long"

But dont pretend there wasnt alot of clamoring for Harbaugh not too long ago

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I wouldn't say "bum" but yeah I'd have a hard time getting down with that hire. He's had a lot of success even in dogs*** places like Detroit. His worst year was Manning's neck season. But there's something about a quiet old guy that doesn't move the needle for me. If he's the guy, I hope I'm wrong.

It reads like "right now" but I think he's insinuating that he'd get the title of President and GM once Phillips retires

Omar Khan would be a slam dunk hire for this franchise.  We need somebody like him with his football, salary cap and analytics background running the entire show at the top. Then ideally they'd hire a strong assistant GM type like Ryan Poles or Morocco Brown to run the entire pro and college scouting departments.

This is my dream scenario

Edited by topwop1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It's not arbitrary.

Creating a program in a new place is a different energy from keeping one going and age effects everyone.  It is reality we all deal with.

It's not that hard to understand.   

Its absolutely arbitrary, unless you can definitively give me a number of too old to be a HC, or start with a new team as a HC, that is the definition of arbitrary.

You think he is too old to do this, I may even think that, but there is no proof of that. We dont know his level of energy or enthusiasm. He has given off an AARP vibe since he was under Dungy, but that didnt stop him from being a good HC in 2 spots. 

Again, Im not pounding the table for him to be the HC, but Id rather have him than alot of the names being thrown around the leage for HC positions.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

Bum is harsh, I'm just annoyed and pissed off. I don't need a dude pushing 70 building an offense around my puppy QB.

He wouldn't build an offense as HC, he would hire the right coordinator to do the job because he's smart and has good connections around the league

Though I agree on his age being a factor as why I don't have him high on my list for HC, but we could do way worse than him

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Its absolutely arbitrary, unless you can definitively give me a number of too old to be a HC, or start with a new team as a HC, that is the definition of arbitrary.

You think he is too old to do this, I may even think that, but there is no proof of that. We dont know his level of energy or enthusiasm. He has given off an AARP vibe since he was under Dungy, but that didnt stop him from being a good HC in 2 spots. 

Again, Im not pounding the table for him to be the HC, but Id rather have him than alot of the names being thrown around the leage for HC positions.

I have to explain to you what happens to most people around 70?   We are not all same of course, but there are generalities and higher risks involved.

Tom Brady is still playing well at his age, but most people can't.   So when QBs hit late 30s teams start thinking replacement.  

You can have kids in your 40s, but it is generally considered better to do in your 20s for a variety of reasons.  

Things change for people after puberty.   You get the picture.  Age matters.  

You have to group things based on risk.   Maybe Caldwell would be great until 100, but you are dealing with probabilities.

58 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean this is absurd. If this is your true assessment then there is no reasoning with you.

Caldwell took the Lions to the playoffs twice, and is their best winning HC since the 50s. 

You seem to want something flashy, but after Trestman an Nagy i would have assumed you might want to rethink that. Obviously dont go to the other extreme, ala John Fox, but you are very much putting Fields as a singular entity over the entire team, it just doesnt work like that.

If fields is good, hes going to be good. If he was average or alittle better, and needs to be propped up by a OC or Offensive HC, that house of cards will tumble eventually. And then your right back in an undesirable situation.

See below

1 hour ago, G08 said:

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Do you think it takes 6-8-10 years to change a culture? No, it will be determined Day One when the new HC walks through that door. Sure it will take a year or two to weed out some of the old guard, but if you are in year 3/4 and still waiting on a culture change, then you have picked the wrong guy. 

I know Im new around here, but it does seem some of you have been hurt so much by the past, that you cant even see the forest for the trees anymore.

I never said it took years...I said that I doubted a 67 year old could do it...walking into that building you are going to need real intensity and energy to start the turn around...you are going to need to be even more motivated than the players are to make this thing work...I don't feel Caldwell has that intensity...

Now as we have both said I think he could be the perfect OC or even better an assistant HC & QB coach for Fields...but do I want him trying to run an entire franchise at that age? No way.