Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

If this happens, I'm either a psychic or I know how unbelievably predictable this franchise is. Your call.

I actually like both. Polian's connection to the Colts may actually turn out to be a good thing.

Part of me is interested in a guy like Eberflus who can make more out of a cheaper defense while we build the offense out talent/cap wise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I actually like both. Polian's connection to the Colts may actually turn out to be a good thing.

Part of me is interested in a guy like Eberflus who can make more out of a cheaper defense while we build the offense out talent/cap wise.

I've warmed to Eberflus, but my Chicago Bears PTSD worries this might be Lovie Ball 2.0.

What are his plans on offense? What is his philosophy there? Who does he have in mind as an offensive  coordinator? What about as QB coach? Jordan Palmer did a HELL of a job working with Josh Allen... is he an option as QB coach? (unrelated, just verbal diarrhea at this point)

Just now, WindyCity said:

I like both for the simple fact of their will be a plan...with Nagy it always seemed like we were trying something else with no real vision or structure...

You know Eberflus is going to be intense and play a style of defence...you know Brown is going to value building in the trenches...

Look at the playoffs...for all the regular season was playoff football still comes down to the same formula...protect your QB...hit their QB...it's a simple but highly effective strategy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, G08 said:

I've warmed to Eberflus, but my Chicago Bears PTSD worries this might be Lovie Ball 2.0.

What are his plans on offense? What is his philosophy there? Who does he have in mind as an offensive  coordinator? What about as QB coach? Jordan Palmer did a HELL of a job working with Josh Allen... is he an option as QB coach? (unrelated, just verbal diarrhea at this point)

The nice part of hiring a defensive coach is that you can change systems more easily. If Nagy was the OC he would have been fired after 2019, 2020 at the latest and we would not have signed all the aging losers he wanted to try and prop up his garbage offense.

The poor part about it is that you may have to change systems and play callers.

11 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Who is the OC after you hire Eberflus? Scott Linehan? Would be almost as important as the HC hire.

And how long does he stay?

I mean if are in truly in charge of offense and you manage to light Bears on fire for a year or two you will be a hot name.  

I don't know why people aren't considering David Culley.

The Texans had the worst offseason of any team in history.   They had no talent to begin with people were jumping ship like crazy.

My expectations for Texans was 0-17.   

He went with Tyrod Taylor a journeyman QB who kinda sucks and you know what? They looked great until he got hurt.  They actually looked like a good team.   

The Browns were IMO most talented team in league to start the year.   If you are looking at athletes and talent - they had it in spades.    Texans were beating the Browns (who crushed us like bugs early) until Tyrod got hurt.

And he still beat Titans (almost twice) and Chargers and closed year looking much improved.

He had nothing.  All castoffs.   Like an expansion team.

This guy did a really good job under circumstances.   

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 7m

The #Bears are set to request 2nd interviews with 2 more candidates -- #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn & ex-#Lions coach Jim Caldwell, per me and @MikeGarafolo. #Colts DC Matt Eberflus has his 2nd interview on Wednesday, per @TomPelissero. #Saints DC Dennis Allen is interviewing tomorrow.

Edited by Madmike90

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

· 7m

The #Bears are set to request 2nd interviews with 2 more candidates -- #Cowboys DC Dan Quinn & ex-#Lions coach Jim Caldwell, per me and @MikeGarafolo. #Colts DC Matt Eberflus has his 2nd interview on Wednesday, per @TomPelissero. #Saints DC Dennis Allen is interviewing tomorrow.

I have always felt Quinn is going to the Broncos...I think he is being used here to make our decision to then hire Eberflus look like he earned it even more over two guys with previous experience.

47 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The nice part of hiring a defensive coach is that you can change systems more easily. If Nagy was the OC he would have been fired after 2019, 2020 at the latest and we would not have signed all the aging losers he wanted to try and prop up his garbage offense.

The poor part about it is that you may have to change systems and play callers.

Chargers have the same "problem" with Staley. If Fields is the real deal, prospective OCs are going to be desperate to coach him next. He will make them look good and jumpstart them to be head coaches. 

Buffalo will have no problem finding the best available OC when Daboll departs.