Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

My guy for GM is still Rick Smith. He’s older than most of the other candidates (74), but he in 12 years as Texans GM his first round hit rate was SO GOOD:

2006 Mario Williams (over Reggie Bush)

2007 Amobi Okoye

2008 Duane Brown

2009 Brian Cushing 

2010 Kareem Jackson

2011 JJ Watt

2012 Whitney Mercilus

2013 Deandre Hopkins 

2014 Jadeveon Clowney

2015 Kevin Johnson

2016 Will Fuller

2017 Deshaun Watson 

6 of 12 have been to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and that’s just the 1st round guys. 3 of his non-1st round guys have been to multiple Pro Bowls too. How many flat out misses in round 1? One (Okoye)? Meanwhile, Watt and Hopkins are sure fire HOF, and Williams, Brown and maybe Watson have a shot.

Sign me up for that. 

You pulled up the ex player I think. The GM Rick Smith is like 50 

49 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

You pulled up the ex player I think. The GM Rick Smith is like 50 

Ya I was going to say no way in hell that guy is 74 when he looks like he could be in his late 30s 😂

Edited by topwop1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My guy for GM is still Rick Smith. He’s older than most of the other candidates (74), but he in 12 years as Texans GM his first round hit rate was SO GOOD:

2007 Amobi Okoye

2008 Duane Brown

2009 Brian Cushing 

2010 Kareem Jackson

2011 JJ Watt

2012 Whitney Mercilus

2013 Deandre Hopkins 

2014 Jadeveon Clowney

2015 Kevin Johnson

2016 Will Fuller

2017 Deshaun Watson 

6 of 12 have been to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and that’s just the 1st round guys. 3 of his non-1st round guys have been to multiple Pro Bowls too. How many flat out misses in round 1? One (Okoye)? Meanwhile, Watt and Hopkins are sure fire HOF, and Williams, Brown and maybe Watson have a shot.

Sign me up for that. 

None of those guys suck. Only Johnson and Fuller (health) didn’t sign huge free agent contracts.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I look forward to seeing another HC come in to MIA and expecting top be better than 4-2 vs NE. 

MIA almost always split wins with NE regardless of who the coach is. They went 1-1 in 14 seasons during the 22 years of the Belichick era

So Flores winning one more game than the others against a rookie QB shouldn't be used as a way prop up any coach IMO. Even former Bears HC Wanstedt was 3-1 against them in his first 2 years.

Link to reference: https://stathead.com/tiny/JGXPO

Edited by JAF-N72EX

https://clutchpoints.com/former-dolphins-wr-kenny-stills-critical-opinion-on-brian-flores-gives-insight-into-surprise-firing/

Respect Flo as a coach. Idk about the other sh*t he was on.

The “other s*it” that Stills is referring to are the rumors that Flores was the one who was having Tua tested for PEDs multiple times during the season because he didn’t believe that his body transformation was natural. There was also the heated halftime argument between Flores and Tagovailoa from a game earlier this season and the incident from October when Tua’s trainer called Flores out. Tagovailoa never came to his coach’s defense after those tweets were released. Although the trainer deleted them, the damage had been done. Flores had been called out for his antics and the cat was out of the bag.

I just have a bad feeling on Flores man...would love a defence that hits the QB as much as his does but some of the personnel side of things really concern me...hope Houston put on a full court press to get him.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

https://clutchpoints.com/former-dolphins-wr-kenny-stills-critical-opinion-on-brian-flores-gives-insight-into-surprise-firing/

Respect Flo as a coach. Idk about the other sh*t he was on.

The “other s*it” that Stills is referring to are the rumors that Flores was the one who was having Tua tested for PEDs multiple times during the season because he didn’t believe that his body transformation was natural. There was also the heated halftime argument between Flores and Tagovailoa from a game earlier this season and the incident from October when Tua’s trainer called Flores out. Tagovailoa never came to his coach’s defense after those tweets were released. Although the trainer deleted them, the damage had been done. Flores had been called out for his antics and the cat was out of the bag.

I just have a bad feeling on Flores man...would love a defence that hits the QB as much as his does but some of the personnel side of things really concern me...hope Houston put on a full court press to get him.

Keep in mind that this is 1 side of the story. Many players have come out to bat for Flores. And it was already well-known that Flores and Tagovailoa did not get along.

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Keep in mind that this is 1 side of the story. Many players have come out to bat for Flores. And it was already well-known that Flores and Tagovailoa did not get along.

No doubt...just seems to be a lot of chatter around...not a clean prospect as an HC that' for sure.

22 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No doubt...just seems to be a lot of chatter around...not a clean prospect as an HC that' for sure.

The amount of turnover on his offensive staff is really what troubles me about Flores. We simply cannot do that to Fields if we hope for him to reach his potential. Yeah, coaches learn from failure but Flores has been out of a job after failing in MIA for less than a week and this will already be his (I think) 3rd interview. Not exactly any time for self-reflection and analysis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The amount of turnover on his offensive staff is really what troubles me about Flores. We simply cannot do that to Fields if we hope for him to reach his potential. Yeah, coaches learn from failure but Flores has been out of a job after failing in MIA for less than a week and this will already be his (I think) 3rd interview. Not exactly any time for self-reflection and analysis. 

Completely agree with this...to be honest I suspected he would go up on my list the more I found out about him but in reality he is going the opposite direction.

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My guy for GM is still Rick Smith. (redacted) In 12 years as Texans GM his first round hit rate was SO GOOD:

2007 Amobi Okoye

2008 Duane Brown

2009 Brian Cushing 

2010 Kareem Jackson

2011 JJ Watt

2012 Whitney Mercilus

2013 Deandre Hopkins 

2014 Jadeveon Clowney

2015 Kevin Johnson

2016 Will Fuller

2017 Deshaun Watson 

Sign me up for that. 

I like him quite a bit as well. Some more context:

12 seasons, only 4 of which were 'losing seasons'
4 playoff appearances
11 Pro Bowlers drafted
etc

I do worry that after his wife passed away, he might have gotten a little "cooky". There's an article on the athletic that, don't get me wrong my heart breaks for the guy, I dunno it came off as a little eccentric:

‘My heart is open now’: Former Texans GM Rick Smith’s grief has reshaped his life – The Athletic

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like him quite a bit as well. Some more context:

12 seasons, only 4 of which were 'losing seasons'
4 playoff appearances
11 Pro Bowlers drafted
etc

I do worry that after his wife passed away, he might have gotten a little "cooky". There's an article on the athletic that, don't get me wrong my heart breaks for the guy, I dunno it came off as a little eccentric:

‘My heart is open now’: Former Texans GM Rick Smith’s grief has reshaped his life – The Athletic

Kooky is fine with me if he can evaluate talent and build a good roster (which he showed over an extended stretch that he can). IMO it’s far less an issue with a GM than it would be with a HC who’s interacting with the team every day.