Raiders 2018 Free Agency Thread

Rich7sena

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-7-stats-free-agency

Crabtree is also worrisome for especially poor efficiency numbers everywhere but in the end zone. Among all wide receivers to see at least 100 targets in each of the past three seasons, Crabtree has ranked worst, ninth-worst, and worst over the past three seasons in yards per target.

It's fitting that the discussion is currently focused on the WRs we've brought in or are looking to bring in. Apparently, they're slow and they're "has been". Well, Crabtree was never known for being fast and has never been on those guys level at any point in his career. Crabtree was a volume producer with us. His strength was in the red zone. Guess who has been the most productive red zone WR in the league since 2016. Jordy Nelson. Nelson and Decker aren't big play threat anymore. Crabtree wasn't one either in his Raiders career (11.3 yds/catch was his highest mark in Oakland). A trio of Cooper/Nelson/Decker would be better, on and off the field, than what we had last season.

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-7-stats-free-agency

It's fitting that the discussion is currently focused on the WRs we've brought in or are looking to bring in. Apparently, they're slow and they're "has been". Well, Crabtree was never known for being fast and has never been on those guys level at any point in his career. Crabtree was a volume producer with us. His strength was in the red zone. Guess who has been the most productive red zone WR in the league since 2016. Jordy Nelson. Nelson and Decker aren't big play threat anymore. Crabtree wasn't one either in his Raiders career (11.3 yds/catch was his highest mark in Oakland). A trio of Cooper/Nelson/Decker would be better, on and off the field, than what we had last season.

Unfortunately, body of work doesn't carry over to what they are today.  Decker looked finished in Tenessee and when he wasn't getting open he was dropping gimmies left and right.  Jordy definitely has lost a couple steps.  You can blame QB play but it didn't seem to affect Devonte Adams without Rogers.  Crabs has never taken the top off a defense but I'd still take him TODAY over those two.  The other 2 are already showing signs of noticeabe decline, Crabs has not shown that yet and his down season can be attributed to the whole team having a down year with an in over his head OC.

We're not comparing careers because all that matters is the player they are now.

53 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't find that startling.

3 players a year isn't a crazy number of guys especially if they can still play.

Given his scheme complexity on offense, Gruden always preferred vets over youngsters. Few rookies have ever had the time and aptitude to adjust to the NFL game and pick up Chucky's offense.

Thats why we're signing veterans on offense. One big reason why Jordy was signed imo. Proven commodity in a complex offense.

18 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Given his scheme complexity on offense, Gruden always preferred vets over youngsters. Few rookies have ever had the time and aptitude to adjust to the NFL game and pick up Chucky's offense.

Thats why we're signing veterans on offense. One big reason why Jordy was signed imo. Proven commodity in a complex offense.

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Madleg81 said:

Unfortunately, body of work doesn't carry over to what they are today.  Decker looked finished in Tenessee and when he wasn't getting open he was dropping gimmies left and right.  Jordy definitely has lost a couple steps.  You can blame QB play but it didn't seem to affect Devonte Adams without Rogers.  Crabs has never taken the top off a defense but I'd still take him TODAY over those two.  The other 2 are already showing signs of noticeabe decline, Crabs has not shown that yet and his down season can be attributed to the whole team having a down year with an in over his head OC.

We're not comparing careers because all that matters is the player they are now.

Good, so we can replace Cooper with Decker for a fraction of the price. I like it....

On a serious note though, I'll take a trio of Cooper, Nelson, Decker over Cooper, Crabtree, Roberts every day. Neither Decker nor Nelson SHOULD keep us from drafting a guy in a later round, and I wouldn't say that both are necessarily locks (maybe 1, but not both). That being said, I'd still take Matthews over Decker. I'm not impressed with this FA for the most part. It feels like a kid on Madden 2013 Franchise....

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't find that startling.

3 players a year isn't a crazy number of guys especially if they can still play.

I"m cautiously optimistic. It's all going to come down to the draft for me on his direction.

I like the idea of lining your depth (assuming that's what these signing represent) with leadership/veteran players. That seems the foundation he's laying. But again... if they don't hit on draft picks your roster becomes what Gruden had in Tampa. Old, slow and unworkable. 

Team has to be built in the draft. And let's call it out.... Derek Carr has to level up. This will only go as far as he goes.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I"m cautiously optimistic. It's all going to come down to the draft for me on his direction.

I like the idea of lining your depth (assuming that's what these signing represent) with leadership/veteran players. That seems the foundation he's laying. But again... if they don't hit on draft picks your roster becomes what Gruden had in Tampa. Old, slow and unworkable. 

Team has to be built in the draft. And let's call it out.... Derek Carr has to level up. This will only go as far as he goes.

While some of that is true, its also the off season and we have sign 3 players out of 12 who are over 30.

We are a far cry from what the roster will look like.

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

We are a far cry from what the roster will look like.

Hoping so. Starting with getting Martin out of here. He will be 30 and is awful. If you're keeping Lynch, add a young RB to coach up for year 2. Why waste a year on 2 30-something RBs who will be one and done in the Gruden era?

Draft can't come soon enough to answer all my questions. As it stands today.... of the signings, I like Melvin. That's really it lol. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Decker is done. That is a signing I can't buy into. He looked like he was 50 years old in Tennessee last season. Plodding through routes. 

With younger options out there. I would not be a fan of Decker signing. 

Agreed. Decker is more rosterable on a first time fantasy football player's team than a competitive NFL team at this point. I liked him as a player in the past, but that was in the past.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hoping so. Starting with getting Martin out of here. He will be 30 and is awful. If you're keeping Lynch, add a young RB to coach up for year 2. Why waste a year on 2 30-something RBs who will be one and done in the Gruden era?

Draft can't come soon enough to answer all my questions. As it stands today.... of the signings, I like Melvin. That's really it lol. 

I've said it many times, good thing we don't run the team haha.

But yes the draft will give some insight into how Reggie and Gruden and staff are approaching this new regime.

Archived