Next Step: Head Coach & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If the NFL is just about hiring your friends that is just sad, sure people have connections to other people but give some others a chance which I have already talked about once before.  Not sure anything O'Connell did in his entire career has shown he should be a Head Coach outside of latching onto McVay's coaching tree which is always the given hire it seems in the NFL, hire one of McVay's assistants.  

Thought Kwesi thought outside the box a little.  

Thinking outside the box doesn't mean you can't hire someone you are already familiar with and know you can work with.  It doesn't require him to go hire the Air Force head coach so he can run the triple option, which would certainly be outside the box.  Everything doesn't need to be looked at from such a perspective.  It's all about balance, but you need the head coach to see it through a similar lens...and O'Connell would certainly do that.

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And who is that?  I sure hope you do not say Kevin O'Connell.  

Of the teams left playing I would take Eric Bieniemy and DeMeco Ryans over him.  Could even throw Steve Spagnuolo and Raheem Morris into that mix I would take ahead of O'Connell.  

Clearly they meant either Kevin O’Connell or DeMeco Ryans since they are both playing in tonight’s game and they are both the finalists for the HC position.

Our ownership knows more than enough about Eric Bienemy from his time with Brad Childress to know that they don’t want him to be the leader of their team.  Steve Spagnuolo is just another retread DC like Fangio, Quinn, and even Zimmer where they’ve already proven to be much better DCs than HCs.  Raheem Morris is pretty overrated tbh.  He would be irrelevant if defense wasn’t so stacked right now.  He’s much better teaching techniques as a position coach than he is at actually game planning and calling plays.  If we’re choosing between either the Rams or 49ers DCs then DeMeco Ryans would easily be the choice over Morris.  Kevin O’Connell is a very talented coach in his own right and he called plays with the Redskins under Jay Gruden just like Sean McVay did before his Head Coaching job.  When Jay Gruden was fired many Redskins fans wanted O’Connell to be kept as their next HC, but then he went to be McVay’s OC.

16 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Is there any real possibility to the Harbaugh “rumors”? 

They had a phone conversation about the job, so anything is possible. But I don’t think it’s the probable move. 

But I also wouldn’t be shocked if there are reports this time tomorrow discussing the team finalizing a deal with O’Connell. 

Edited by SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They had a phone conversation about the job, so anything is possible. But I don’t think it’s the probable move. 

But I also wouldn’t be shocked if there are reports this time tomorrow discussing the team finalizing a deal with O’Connell. 

If the Rams end up winning the Super Bowl would Kevin O’Connell want to negotiate a bigger contract?

10 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

If the Rams end up winning the Super Bowl would Kevin O’Connell want to negotiate a bigger contract?

If the Vikings choose O’Connell, or Morris, the agreement to sign with Minnesota will almost assuredly happen before they actually play the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a00f3eb120a5b054cf

Here is a question, how much of the play calling does this O'Connell actually do?  Because sure looks like McVay calls a majority of the offensive plays during the game not O'Connell.  

There are five opportunities for the NFL leadership in general to change their hiring practices in terms of new head coaches, and if these five go anything like the first four the NFL is in the sad state.  No way NBA players would let such a thing fly like NFL players have.  

I think the Harbaugh stuff is very real. From everything ive heard, i think he's the favorite right now. 

My order would be:
1. Harbaugh
2. O'Connell
3. Ryans 

Im not crazy about O'Connell. But i think the only way for us to have continuity on offense is to hire an offensive HC. Plus if we get a new/young QB, it would be best to be able to keep him in the same offense. A different coordinator every year is not good for any QB's imo. All the HC's that had games today were offensive minds. And the previous couple SB's its been offensive guys (Reid, Pederson, Arians). The last defensive minded HC's to win a SB was BB & Tomlin?

• Like 3

Also to add on. I think Harbaugh is definitely a volatile hire, but he absolutely gives the Vikings the best chance to win a SB in the next 3-5 years than any of the other candidates. 

Get Harbaugh, trade Kirk for a 1st & flip that and another pick for D.Watson (if he is clear legally).

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If he is so great why did the 49ers get rid of him and no other team in the NFL wanted him?  His message wore thin as did his coaching style for that age group.  To say the 49ers are not much better off with Kyle Shanahan, well they are.  

I just question Jim's overall X and O knowledge, he brings in good coordinators that make him look good but what exactly he is good at?  Not sure one could even say he is good at QB coaching quite honestly.  Clearly only reason he is getting a look is the relationship he has with Kwesi and even that is probably just a thankyou for the support Jim gave him early in his career.  

He had a very good OL on the 49ers with Staley, Iupati, Davis, Boone etc, a HOF running back in Frank Gore, an all time great and HOF TE in Vernon Davis.  A great D with Justin Smith, N. Bowman. A. Brooks, Patrick Willis, Aldon Smith, Rodgers, Whitner and Reid and at WR had Boldin and Crabtree.  I mean that roster was outstanding and that is the reason they won games not Jim's coaching.  Sure his energy connected with that team but worn thin for whatever reason and they let him go after only four years.  

Honestly. There are so many people that just want a coach…. A motivator. A guy that can work with what he has and make guys better. Let him pick coordinators. Let them run the plays. I think that type of team works in the nfl.

• Like 1