Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

Do you have a link? The only stuff I found for front office compensation only mentioned GM roles specifically.

GM/football executive and senior level positions.  Assistant GM certainly fills that.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/what-is-rooney-rule-nfl-minority-candidates-effectiveness-criticisms/1k4m7oilxr8nv1xjs9f9bw2k7d

From the article, but it's from the commentary portion, not the rule itself:

In November of that year, owners approved a similar policy that rewarded teams for developing minority coaches and executives. The policy allows a team that loses a minority assistant coach or executive — to become a head coach or GM of another team — to receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years. If a team loses both a coach and executive, it would receive said pick for three years.

I am not sure that getting hired as an assistant GM nets you the comp picks. 

The other important part of the rule regarding Brandon Hunt continuing to have external interviews:

Namely, the mandate prohibited teams from denying assistant coaches the chance to interview with other teams for head coaching or coordinator positions, regardless of contract status. It also allowed people in lower-level front office positions to interview for assistant manager jobs with another team. The purpose of these changes was to improve the mobility of minority coaches to fill roles in other teams.

So, two things:

1) The Steelers cannot deny Hunt to interview elsewhere. Though, it definitely feels like teams around the league feel like he might be available. 
2) No compensation from what I read for him being hired as an Assistant GM...bummer
C) If he gets any more interviews and doesn't get a job....I think that might tell us something. 

51 minutes ago, warfelg said:

"The policy allows a team that loses a minority assistant coach or executive — to become a head coach or GM of another team — to receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years." 

Is this not the relevant section?

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

From the article, but it's from the commentary portion, not the rule itself:

I am not sure that getting hired as an assistant GM nets you the comp picks. 

The other important part of the rule regarding Brandon Hunt continuing to have external interviews:

So, two things:

1) The Steelers cannot deny Hunt to interview elsewhere. Though, it definitely feels like teams around the league feel like he might be available. 
2) No compensation from what I read for him being hired as an Assistant GM...bummer
C) If he gets any more interviews and doesn't get a job....I think that might tell us something. 

Which it kinda contradicts itself by saying later the senior level positions. 

If I misunderstood it my bad. But it goes to show how darn convoluted this rule is. It’s going to be stupid if we spend all this time developing Hunt, he goes to Buffalo for 2 years, they win a SB, some team poaches him for GM, and Buffalo gets the reward of the pick. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Which it kinda contradicts itself by saying later the senior level positions. 

Yeah I am not quite sure either, but I have now seen multiple writers state its for GM's specifically.  But I am honestly not sure. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

It’s going to be stupid if we spend all this time developing Hunt, he goes to Buffalo for 2 years, they win a SB, some team poaches him for GM, and Buffalo gets the reward of the pick. 

Ultimately just depends, IMO. He has now had multiple interviews and we are going pretty hard trying to find the right guy. That screams he isn't a top candidate to me. 

For the longest time I assumed they never named Hunt or Omar the "assistant gm" because that most likely meant they would lose the other with no higher future in the organization....but now I am curious if they just really liked them in their specific role and do not view them as a CEO where they have to control everything. But I would rather all 31 other teams get an additional 3rd round pick than us hire someone who isn't meant to be a leader. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yeah I am not quite sure either, but I have now seen multiple writers state its for GM's specifically.  But I am honestly not sure. 

Ultimately just depends, IMO. He has now had multiple interviews and we are going pretty hard trying to find the right guy. That screams he isn't a top candidate to me. 

For the longest time I assumed they never named Hunt or Omar the "assistant gm" because that most likely meant they would lose the other with no higher future in the organization....but now I am curious if they just really liked them in their specific role and do not view them as a CEO where they have to control everything. But I would rather all 31 other teams get an additional 3rd round pick than us hire someone who isn't meant to be a leader. 

Well where it annoys me, is because one of them never took them as serious consideration for the GM position due to where they were kept. 

Think of this: Khan handled business and didn’t have a toe in player assessment. Hunt handled player assessment and didn’t have a toe in business. 

So if they go somewhere, get the education in that part, then get a GM role and we don’t get a pick despite doing the heavy lifting development, it spits in our face. 

Basically I think it’s a (still) shortcoming of this rule set. 

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well where it annoys me, is because one of them never took them as serious consideration for the GM position due to where they were kept. 

Think of this: Khan handled business and didn’t have a toe in player assessment. Hunt handled player assessment and didn’t have a toe in business. 

So if they go somewhere, get the education in that part, then get a GM role and we don’t get a pick despite doing the heavy lifting development, it spits in our face. 

Basically I think it’s a (still) shortcoming of this rule set. 

I really don't think it's that simple. There's 32 of these jobs and about 4-5 of them turnover every year. It's not for everyone and no level of training can make you the right person. There's more than 1 that you have to wear and you ultimately have the be a huge leader in your "company". 

I am a director at my company. I have sales guys under me that I think the world of -- I would never elevate some of them to a management position. It's just not in them to lead. Khan could be an expert in finance but have zero interpersonal skills so there's fear he won't be able to work with the coaching staff and communicate to his scouts an effective plan. Hunt could be a master of talent evaluation but lack any form of organization so they don't see him being able to set schedules and map out the calendar. 

Too many things that actually happen behind the scenes for us to have any clue and too many aspects of the job that go unnoticed for me to be worried about them throwing away years with him. They could just be singularly good at what they do and that's perfectly fine. Doesn't mean they can run the company. 

That’s great and all but the rumors persisted for years that one of them was being groomed to be Colbert’s replacement. To groom a replacement but not have them fully in depth of the other side of the business is baffling at best. 

And look we all know at this point you are going to great lengths to defend this whole process. But the fact that all of it is striking you as “normal” is blowing my mind. 

Im confident in feeling that if Khan or Hunt were named GM before FA or the draft the way Baltimore did with DeCosta, there would be no pushback from the NFL or minority community that they didn’t go through the full process. So either these years of telling us those two were heir apparents were a lie, or they aren’t ready because they aren’t well mentored in all sides of running the franchise. 

Additionally I find it quite hilarious that Tomlins lack of a coaching tree was used against him but not a peep about the lack of a FO tree from Colbert. So I’m about to hold him to that standard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

To groom a replacement but not have them fully in depth of the other side of the business is baffling at best.

So we have reverted to making stuff up? You do not have any clue what their depth of knowledge is or what they have been trained to do. Who says they were not being groomed? Just being good at their job and being trained/groomed for more doesn't make you immediately ready for leadership roles.

There is a big difference between grooming someone for a role and then actually making the decision of if they should have it. If they really liked Brandon Hunt in his role and wanted to provide more responsibilities, but eventually saw they didn't have a future GM -- what do you want them to do? Fire the guy they like just because so they can groom someone else?

Hunt and Khan are both guys who started young in the organization and moved their way up -- progressing to more responsibility all the way through. Let's not act like the Steelers FO failed by not providing opportunities for growth and additional responsibility because they might not view them as CEO's. That's completely normal across all levels of business. 

there would be no pushback from the NFL or minority community that they didn’t go through the full process.

Not sure where any of this came from or why it's relevant. Pretty clear there reasoning has nothing to do with full process to follow the hiring rules. 

So either these years of telling us those two were heir apparents were a lie, or they aren’t ready because they aren’t well mentored in all sides of running the franchise. 

And more making things up...There's more than 2 options. 

As I said before, this is not that simplistic. There's 1,000s of factors that go into someone being elevated to the highest role in their profession. I want every hire I make to be an internal promotion and we train everyone with the thought process of moving up in the company. But the simple fact is that not everyone -- regardless of training or attention -- is cut out for the higher roles. And as someone who hires, I am not going to promote a guy I don't believe can lead more sales people just because, well ya know I hoped he would be the manager one day. 

So no....it's not either they lied or they didn't train them well enough. They could have spent every single waking hour cross training them on all the functionalities a GM will need to deal with and they just are not the right fit to lead this team for the next 15-20 years. Thats isnt being lied to and it's not training -- its there are 32 of these jobs available and we think there might be someone better at the all encompassing role. 

Additionally I find it quite hilarious that Tomlins lack of a coaching tree was used against him but not a peep about the lack of a FO tree from Colbert. So I’m about to hold him to that standard. 

Who said that's not a problem? If you want to bring it up, let's chat about it but just because you never have seen me say something doesn't mean I immediately have whatever opinion is convenient to you. We are now entering the space of making things up that if I chose ice cream as my favorite dessert you would ask me why I hate cake. I mean, there is definitely a conversation to be had here -- and I would love to have it -- but who was talking about this?

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If we promote Hunt do we still get a comp pick, or is it only for external hirings?

Only external from what I have read. The goal of the whole rule was so teams would try to grow more minority front office staff for them to branch out into bigger roles with other teams. But that kinda sucks for the teams, like the Steelers, who do hire and promote minority front office folks if they ultimately retain them. Kinda backwards...

I did hear talk about making it so that teams that hire minority candidates to the GM job would also get compensated.....but I am still not sure that works for internal promotions. Which, again, would be backwards. 

• Like 1

Dang, I like that a lot. I was cool with him as the GM, but really like him as the assistant GM. I like the external voice and the eagles are a top asset management team, so that’s a nice addition. 

Guessing it’s Hunt or Khan then.