Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Dang, I like that a lot. I was cool with him as the GM, but really like him as the assistant GM. I like the external voice and the eagles are a top asset management team, so that’s a nice addition. 

Guessing it’s Hunt or Khan then. 

4 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I like Weidl.  Not sure how I feel about the salary cap guy as GM.  Although,  historically the Steelers haven’t given out the title of GM maybe he will get a different title.  I’m assuming Khan handles the cap Weidl handles scouting.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Salty y’all took Weidl. Hoping we hire away Brandon from you guys to take his spot. I know we already interviewed him and we still had another opening and this just creates another. Omar was more the contracts and pro personnel right? Brandon is like one of your top guys in the scouting department. I think he would he a good fit to replace Andy for us. Although, I’m not sure how long we could hold onto him for. He would probably just get hired away again like a year or two later tops lol.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Salty y’all took Weidl. Hoping we hire away Brandon from you guys to take his spot. I know we already interviewed him and we still had another opening and this just creates another. Omar was more the contracts and pro personnel right? Brandon is like one of your top guys in the scouting department. I think he would he a good fit to replace Andy for us. Although, I’m not sure how long we could hold onto him for. He would probably just get hired away again like a year or two later tops lol.

Yeah I get the feeling Hunt goes to Philly or Buffalo.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Omar Khan - GM

Draft picks?

It would seem like a flawed rule if it only applies to losing a minority GM to another team instead of grooming one for 21 years and promoting within

No. I’m pretty sure it’s only for losing minority coaches/executives to another team with them having been on your team for at least 2 full seasons.

16 minutes ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Omar Khan - GM

Draft picks?

It would seem like a flawed rule if it only applies to losing a minority GM to another team instead of grooming one for 21 years and promoting within

I don't believe there are any draft picks for hiring from within. 

NFL owners approved a proposal that will reward teams for developing minority coaches and front office executives who go on to become head coaches and general managers for other organizations, 

Perhaps if we keep Hunt and he goes on to get a GM spot next year, as apparently its just for HC & GM spots.

Eagles have been a active team with dealing draft picks. I wonder if we'll start doing more trades with the eagles guy now here. Kinda annoyed that we will have developed two minority's who will get GM roles( hunt will get his chance soon) but won't get a comp pick 

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, August4th said:

Eagles have been a active team with dealing draft picks. I wonder if we'll start doing more trades with the eagles guy now here. Kinda annoyed that we will have developed two minority's who will get GM roles( hunt will get his chance soon) but won't get a comp pick 

Tell me about it. Andrew Berry was only with us for 1 year instead of the full 2 seasons you need to receive comp picks and then we had 3 minorities poached this off-season for Assistant GM roles. It’s gonna suck if the Browns, Giants or Bears end up benefiting off us in 2 years when the people they stole from us get GM roles and they get the picks. Same could happen with you guys if Hunt goes to Buffalo or Philly this offseason, but knowing our luck if we do land him… he’ll get poached next offseason before he has 2 years here under his belt. I do like the rule overall though. The Rooney rule itself wasn’t doing enough to incentivize teams.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

I feel….iffy about this outcome. Sounds like more of a Co-GM type thing where Khan is going to oversee everything and Wiedl is going to run the player personnel part. At that point why not promote Khan to PoFO and Hunt to GM since there’s league interest in both. Would make Hunts next move a big one. 

I wonder though. Gotta wonder.

What if keeping Khan has to do with his relationships with agents and players while bringing in Wiedl is going to be in an effort to bring in someone that has a different operating standard. 

Like, what if the Steeler Way (TM) is about to change. Wiedl’s background has 4 years with the Saints, who wheel and deal if they like a guy. 11 years with the Ravens who wheel and deal if they like a guy. 6 years with the Eagles who famously wheel and deal if they like a guy. I’m wondering if bringing him in is partially a signal that draft strategy especially is going to change, and rather than wait to see who’s there, we start to jump on highly rated guys. 

I like that Roseman said that the last three years Wiedl has been HUGE in their draft process, and pounded the table for guys like Smith, Dickerson, Hurts, Gainwell. There’s obviously some misses but I think with Khan and Tomlin still there that will help (like JJAW, Reagor, Dillard). I like that their stress has long been OL and pass rushing. If we can get him to drag some of those scouts over while keeping our guys who find WRs and TEs that’s good. 

Of course an Eagles struggle has been secondary too. Maybe he can tap into some of those Ravens connections to drag a scout or two over that is good on DBs. 

All in all I’m fine with this. Khan being promoted makes me happy to know that there was some value to him turning down GM roles. There’s comfort with him and Tomlin obviously. And he had a hand in this past draft (huge when it comes to the picking a QB for the next GM concern). But bringing in someone from outside the Steelers Way (TM) gives me hope that there’s an understanding that there’s an evolution happening in the way the NFL operates and this can bring fresh ideas. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Tell me about it. Andrew Berry was only with us for 1 year instead of the full 2 seasons you need to receive comp picks and then we had 3 minorities poached this off-season for Assistant GM roles. It’s gonna suck if the Browns, Giants or Bears end up benefiting off us in 2 years when the people they stole from us get GM roles and they get the picks. Same could happen with you guys if Hunt goes to Buffalo or Philly this offseason, but knowing our luck if we do land him… he’ll get poached next offseason before he has 2 years here under his belt. I do like the rule overall though. The Rooney rule itself wasn’t doing enough to incentivize teams.

They expanded the Rooney Rule yesterday from HC/OC/DC to now include QB coaches. I think this might become the next evolution to include promotions within, asst. GM, head of scouting to be as part of that. 

Id suggest:

Promoting within or hiring to a “lower” promotion for another team or moving to another team after 1 year with a team nets you (the team that did the hiring) a 5th. 

Promoting within for GM or for a “lower” role with another team or moving to another team after 2 years nets you a 4th. 

Promoted to GM or HC after 3 years in current team with a “high level” (OC/DC/Director of Player Personnel/Head of scouting) nets you the 3rd. 

This encourages promotion and advancement from within as well as seriously looking at candidates. It also prevents poaching of minorities for the pick and not for the right reasons. 

36 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wanted Khan as the Texans GM following Bill O’Brien/Jack Easterby. Korn Ferry identify him as the best possible candidate for a GM role in that 2020 cycle and the Texans were even negotiating with Khan for the job - that is until Easterby went and did whatever he did to bring in Nick Caserio.

Good to see Khan get the promotion, he should be a GM by now.

This from @ET80in the NFL News forum is interesting and hopefully a positive.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BradfordSteeler said:

This from @ET80in the NFL News forum is interesting and hopefully a positive.

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/1/11/22224417/report-texans-were-to-hire-omar-khan-for-general-manger-role-before-suddenly-hiring-nick-caserio

This was sort of the apex of the dysfunction that overflowed out of Houston since losing to KC in the playoffs in 2019 - once Bill O’Brien was fired, a new FO was proposed to bring in stability and credibility to a franchise that needed it, and Khan was initially penned to be the guy to bring this in, until Jack Easterby pushed for Nick Caserio at the 11th hour:

Had the Houston Texans stayed the course and followed the recommendation of the search firm Korn Ferry, they likely would have hired Pittsburgh Steelersvice president of football and business administration Omar Khan as their next general manager, league sources told ESPN.

• Like 2