Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, August4th said:

Bro, you brought in a guy so that he can fire his son? Brutal. 

I am liking the moves so far. Pretty happy with how this process worked out. Curious to see what happens with Hunt now. My guess is if those interviews went well with the Bills and Eagles he is gone....but I wonder if they might have sweetened his pot and gave him a new fancy title to try to keep him around for the year -- in hopes he gets a GM job next cycle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Uhhh, I think it was not a firing of Cody, rather a connection Sheldon has with the Steelers.

I don't think I understand your comment, but could just be me being dumb. 

The just hired Sheldon and we will, most likely, be cutting Cody sometime in the near future. Dudes gonna get called in to the office to get his walking papers from his father. 

Just now, BradfordSteeler said:

Makes it sound like they are going back to no GM to me, Khan gets more power on the cap/operations side and Weidl comes in as head of scouting or whatever you want to call it.

Agreed. There is a reason why the NFL uses the term "primary football executive" instead of General Manager. Titles are rather meaningless. So Kahn gets the organizations top spot and Weidl gets the Assistant role so we have to grant permission for external interviews. 

Tomlin, Khan, and Weidl will all be part of the process. 

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

The just hired Sheldon and we will, most likely, be cutting Cody sometime in the near future. Dudes gonna get called in to the office to get his walking papers from his father. 

More likely offered a role in the organization outside of the 53 man roster - college scout, assistant to a coaching staff, etc - basically a trumped up role that allows him to add to his non-football resume and build up a football career off the field.

The NFL was built on nepotism. White was probably on his last stop as a player anyways, so this opens up an early pass to his next career in an FO or on a coaching staff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

More likely offered a role in the organization outside of the 53 man roster - college scout, assistant to a coaching staff, etc - basically a trumped up role that allows him to add to his non-football resume and build up a football career off the field.

The NFL was built on nepotism. White was probably on his last stop as a player anyways, so this opens up an early pass to his next career in an FO or on a coaching staff.

Very well could be, but his dad is still likely to be in the room when his son gets told his dream of of being on the field again in the NFL is dead. Cody is 23 -- no matter how you slice it or what offers you make, that's gonna be tough to hear. 

Makes sense, but I still think their approach to this GM search was pretty awful, like they werent at all prepared to lose Colbert.

At the end of the day, I would've preferred fresh eyes.   Perhaps thats what Weidl is and maybe Khan is kind of a spot holder.    But I expect more from supposedly one of the best run franchises in the NFL.