Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Either of the Colts ASt. GM or Head of Scouting.  They are one of the best drafting teams for the past 5 years

I don't think that necessarily mean they are good.  Like what if they are pounding the table for someone other than who Ballard goes with?  

Can we also disspell this notion of best drafting team? These are their first 4 picks year by year:

2017 :: Hooker - flash in the pan, Quincy Wilson - meh, Tarell Basham - blah, Zach Banner - Blah, Marlon Mack - eh

2018 :: Nelson - Great, but an easy pick; Leonard - great pick; Braden Smith - meh; Kemoko Turay - average starter; Tyquan Lewis - eh; Nyheim Hines - eh

2019 :: Rock Ya-Sin - blah; Ben Banogu - Who?; Parris Campbell - blah; Bobby Okereke - Average; Khari Willis - blah

2020 :: Pittman - Good; Taylor - Great pick; Julian Blackmon - eh; Jacom Eason - terrible

2021 :: Kwity Paye - Ok; Dayo Odeyingbo - eh; Kylen Granson - blah

Not to mention, the following trades:

Sent a 2022 1st for Carson Wentz

Sent a 2019 1st for 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd (turned into Banogu and Pittman, missed out on Montez Sweat)

Basically..... I wouldn't lock it down that easily.

In fact I wouldn't mind any of the Eagles guys we interviewed - Roseman has said these last two years he decided to trust their scouts much more and not go over their heads for guys they wanted.

They got Smith, Dickerson, Gainwell out of last draft.  If you want to count this years eggs before they hatched, Davis, Jurgens, Dean.  Additionally they come from a team where they are continually working the cap to have room so they've learned that.  And they are a team that doesn't buy into the bottom out to get better if that is something that matters to you.

14 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He might still be in the running. The guy that Colbert recommended wasn't named in that tweet, so I imagine that's not everyone that interviewing. 

Who did Colbert recommend?

I think there are still more 2nd interviews to come.

44 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Who did Colbert recommend?

I think there are still more 2nd interviews to come.

I see Colbert recommend Weidl.  I mentioned this before, but I like his pedigree.  Learned from Bill Nunn with the Steelers and 11 years under Ozzie.  I liked the Eagles draft this year.  

• Like 1