Steelers GM Kevin Colbert stepping down after draft

RaidersAreOne

The Rooney rule has its ups and downs, but I do believe it does it’s job for the most part. If Brandon Hunt was white and Khan is a minority, in GM searches, Khan is getting the interviews and Hunt isn’t. Ultimately, the additional exposure is that it’s meant for accomplish. I just feel bad for the guys that need to be dragged through this stuff when a decision has already been made. But then again, they still get a shot to impress and opportunity to go through the interview process — so the good outweighs the bed. 

But man, if I’m the Steelers and I know it’s Hunt or Khan, I’m abusing the rule. I would bring in people that I have absolutely zero faith in being a quality GM (in hopes other teams say “the Steelers interviewed him, let’s check him out”) or lower level front office/scouts on teams who’s GM might change in a year or two. Start to build a Rolodex of people to call if they all of a sudden end up unemployed and seemed like a quality piece. 

Who are everyone’s favorite external candidates for the GM spot.  Can’t say I know many names.  

Does anyone feel we missed out on anyone with the late announcement?  

I think they have a plan with an internal candidate, but I’d like to hear other peoples thoughts.

54 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Why? I'm not part of the sympathy club because she was challenged by a former NFL QB. He was a callous and damn near disrespectful but why should Mina Kimes be an NFL GM?

Honestly though I would consider her but she wouldn't leave TV.  I wouldn't mind seeing if you can convince Mayock to have a head of scouting.  As much as he missed on early picks he nailed later picks.

2 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

Who are everyone’s favorite external candidates for the GM spot.  Can’t say I know many names.  

I think they have a plan with an internal candidate, but I’d like to hear other peoples thoughts.

I don't think it's a miss because of the late announcement.  I think the late hire could hurt more.

34 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

mina kimes!! get onboard before it's too late and you can say you were on the train before it was cool

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-historical-draft-success-for-all-32-nfl-teams

Draft success for all NFL teams.  Focuses on last 4 years but you will find the Steelers in the top 1/3 of all graphs ( and the poor Cardinals at 32 in all drafts).

What's funny is that's all in the time that Tomlin reportedly had the most influence over the draft.  Reportedly had the most defensive control when they got better too.

I think we really underrate Coach T at times.

I still say the problem is the scouts.  The assistant coaches says " I want this type of guy.  Look for these traits."  And the scouts have to find them.  Either the AC do not know what they are looking for or the scouts are bad at finding them or both.

9 hours ago, jebrick said:

Did she go to North Catholic or have history with the Detroit Lion's organization?  No?  Then she is out.

think she went to yale!!

which in and of itself doesn't make someone smart tbf it just might mean their parents have inordinate amounts of money but she is totally brilliant

when you check the Steeler's scouts, you will find that a large number of them went to North Catholic and or were in the Detroit Lion's organization with Colbert.

I imagine she is as brilliant as Mike Maylock, who, when you check on draft metrics that I posted, hovers around 30th in the league for all categories.

Give me someone who knows how to judge players to fit the system the HC wants to run.