2021 Super Bowl GDT Thread: (4) Rams vs (4) Bengals

NYRaider

Winner?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

• Rams
    • Bengals

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

We dont play eachother enough that I would ever care about you guys. It would have to be like 3 straight playoff losses to you in embarrassing fashion before I would give a damn.

How long have you been a Cowboys fan?

Dates back to the 70s/80s, but the Cowboys have more playoff losses to the Rams (5) than anyone.

Just now, FrantikRam said:

How long have you been a Cowboys fan?

Dates back to the 70s/80s, but the Cowboys have more playoff losses to the Rams (5) than anyone.

Im aware, I just wasnt alive for those games. Born in 84. So my entire life you havent been a rival. 

• Like 1

Okay somebody educate me on the Bengals defense. I know Hendrickson and Bates are good.

I know that Apple was a bum prior to this stint with the Bengals, but appears to be playing well right now.

I think Von Bell is solid.

But their defense rates middle of the pack and I watched quite a few of their games living here in Ohio and having Higgins and Mixon on my fantasy team - their defense when I watched ranged from really bad to really good and everywhere in between. Seem to have found their groove in the playoffs.

Who are their other guys? How good are the LBs?

Just now, FrantikRam said:

How long have you been an NFL fan? C'mon. It's a nod to the LA Rams old colors.

I know it’s a nod. I’m just messing with you that it’s a ripoff.

Even though what I said about Chargers uniform being better is true 😆

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

NFL bailing the Rams (and us all) out from their dumb uniform decisions again

No bone

FKn_npLUcAQQA_r?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Bengals are going Black/White/Orange

FKmtEtBXsAICauq?format=jpg&name=large

I am actually excited to see these two teams compete for the SB. Hopefully its one for the ages. I honestly can't pick a horse in the race. I usually root NFC, but I think I will just be excited for this game in general.

4 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Okay somebody educate me on the Bengals defense. I know Hendrickson and Bates are good.

I know that Apple was a bum prior to this stint with the Bengals, but appears to be playing well right now.

I think Von Bell is solid.

But their defense rates middle of the pack and I watched quite a few of their games living here in Ohio and having Higgins and Mixon on my fantasy team - their defense when I watched ranged from really bad to really good and everywhere in between. Seem to have found their groove in the playoffs.

Who are their other guys? How good are the LBs?

Bengals fans can fill you in better than I on each individual player. You have the jist of it. Bates and Hedrickson are probably their best players. Awuzie has been playing well too. Basically they have a smart,versatile veteran defense that doesn't blow many assignments and has gained good chemistry/communication. Its Patriots-esque in that way. As you've seen in the playoffs, there hasn't been very many busted coverages/miscommunications and they've converted a good amount of their TO opportunities. The downside is that outside of the aforementioned players, they don't have any truly elite players (Bates can flash it sometimes) so teams with superior talent/scheme/matchups can expose that lack of elite playmaking (aka a Fred Warner of the 49ers who has insane range and can shut down a lot of the field he occupies).

This matchup for the Bengals will be interesting. As you alluded to, McVay's offense really likes to exploit the middle of the field so how Cincy deploys its LBs/Bates will be interesting. My concern is that like the first half of the AFCCG, superior scheme/talent will overwhelm the talent but thats of course assuming the Rams have their A game.                                                                                       

2 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Logically I believe the Rams should run away with this, based on the matchups and all, but I just have the strangest feeling in the back of my mind that the Bengals might actually pull this off. 

I won't make an official picks yet though.....

This was my initial leaning and the more I look into it, the more the Rams look like they should be the significant favorites (more so than the line suggests). Outside of the Rams TO propensity over the past two months (the great NFL equalizer) and McVay's second half conservatism/questionable game management, I cannot create a compelling argument for the Bengals that isn't based on vague narratives. The Bengals can win this game, I'm not discounting them, but the best comp I can make for their team/roster is a budget version of Tampa Bay, and the Rams have smoked them each time (outside of becoming a turnover factory in the divisional round).

Its still early on but I still haven't heard of any real advantage matchups the Bengals might have outside of their kicking game and that concerns me as it shouldn't take that long if definitive matchups in the Bengals favor do exist (please do let me wrong, I want this to be a competitive/close game). But when you see the Rams advantage on both lines, at QB (arguable but statistically true), at coach, Burrow's difficulties facing quarters coverages throughout the season etc... and I think this will be fairly similar to last years matchup.