49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

8 hours ago, N4L said:

I think we have had a pretty good free agency thus far. I am pleased with it overall minus the Garoppolo saga.

We havent done anything earth shattering, but honestly it feels like the market is a bit out of whack this year. A lot of teams are following the Rams' model of shifting cap hits into future years. That has caused a lot of imbalance imo.

I think ownership remembers being in salary cap hell in the late 90s and doesn't want us to fully commit to being hyper aggressive with regards to pushing cap hits into future years. We have yet to use all of our bullets for this reason, and its tough to see other teams be assertive to fill needs while we are just making seemingly incremental moves, but I think it is the prudent strategy at this time.

We didnt make a huge splash but it seems like each transaction provided pretty solid value. We have stayed true to our 5 year gameplan and have signed guys that fit what we do. 

Obviously, it appears that special teams are a big priority, and in general signing heady/aware special teamers who are in their mid 20s as great depth pieces to develop is a good strategy because you expect a certain competency level out of them.

Every signing outside of Ward seems to be high floor, solid ceiling types based on the expected value of their salary vs their production. All of them seem to be highly professional dudes who will fit in well with the locker room. All of them seem like they can be contributors on offense/defense outside of their already known special team roles.

It makes our active gameday roster more adaptable because we added 4 guys who are all going to be active for us on gamedays, even though we only added one (maybe 2?) starters. So they can be contributors without being starters (and without being paid as if they were top end starters, since starters tend to get overpaid in FA)

Every signing has a "we are paying you for what you will do for us and not for what you did from someone else" vibe to it. Ward is a great example of that, it is very reasonable to expect him to continue ascending as a player throughout his time here. 

There is still a lot of work to do, but I think most people that arent happy with how it has gone are missing the forest for the trees imo. 

I wholeheartedly agree. I do want us to add a vet interior O-Lineman or two at some point but I have no qualms about our free agency thus far. We've been very calculated and deliberate with acquiring personnel since the Lynch/Shanny era began. Never expected him to turn into Les Snead overnight. I understand the need for an aggressive mindset by fans to fortify our weakness. But I think that'll come AFTER you truly see what you have in Lance. If he is everything we hoped for this upcoming season, I can see next off-season being the time to go 'all-in'. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Bills signed Jamison Crowder, not gonna lie, really thought the Niners would have interest. The rich get richer I guess

I just don't think we have a ton of interest in FA this year

I'm curious if we allow Key to walk or if we try to match any offer Key is offered. I can't imagine he signs for more than a 1 year deal for a 3-5 million. He met with the lions yesterday, meeting with Jags today. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm curious if we allow Key to walk or if we try to match any offer Key is offered. I can't imagine he signs for more than a 1 year deal for a 3-5 million. He met with the lions yesterday, meeting with Jags today. 

I might be alone in my corner, but I hope we let him walk. He hasn't really impressed me. His sacks were created by others around him playing well, and I think we can get similar production from a lot of people. He had a good run of 5-6 games where he got pretty much all of his sacks. But the rest of the time, he wasn't just creating pressure after pressure, forcing teams to gameplan against him. When Bosa is not getting sacks, he still has an impact. When Key didn't get a sack, he was mostly invisible. I'm sure we can get someone at the veteran minimum who can match his impact, or better yet, someone on a rookie contract. Those 5-6 games got him all hyped up. But the other 13-14 games, was he really that important of a player? I think it's important not to overpay for that kind of player. In hockey and basketball, you have advanced stats about players' ability to create their own scoring opportunities. Well, Key doesn't create sack opportunities, in my eyes. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

I might be alone in my corner, but I hope we let him walk. He hasn't really impressed me. His sacks were created by others around him playing well, and I think we can get similar production from a lot of people. He had a good run of 5-6 games where he got pretty much all of his sacks. But the rest of the time, he wasn't just creating pressure after pressure, forcing teams to gameplan against him. When Bosa is not getting sacks, he still has an impact. When Key didn't get a sack, he was mostly invisible. I'm sure we can get someone at the veteran minimum who can match his impact, or better yet, someone on a rookie contract. Those 5-6 games got him all hyped up. But the other 13-14 games, was he really that important of a player? I think it's important not to overpay for that kind of player. In hockey and basketball, you have advanced stats about players' ability to create their own scoring opportunities. Well, Key doesn't create sack opportunities, in my eyes. 

I think we will let him go. I agree with you. We should be perpetually buying low on those guys. I feel like there's a good chance that Key gets more than Kerry Hyder because the latter is coming off a meh season and Key is coming off a good one,  but we have seen Hyder  succeed with Kocurek multiple times in his career. If we re-signed Hyder as opposed to Key, I honestly wouldn't feel any worse about the team. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think we will let him go. I agree with you. We should be perpetually buying low on those guys. I feel like there's a good chance that Key gets more than Kerry Hyder because the latter is coming off a meh season and Key is coming off a good one,  but we have seen Hyder  succeed with Kocurek multiple times in his career. If we re-signed Hyder as opposed to Key, I honestly wouldn't feel any worse about the team. 

I'd actually feel better with Hyder. Hyder created many of his sacks. He didn't have Bosa on the other side. Not as athletic, perhaps, but solid football player. 

I think Kocurek is like Bobby Turner. When you have one of those coaches who can find hidden gems and get more production out of his units than other coaches, you really need to take advantage of it, and buy low as often as you can. The pass rush is a little different, because the game is so pass-centric nowadays, and you need at least one high quality rusher to compete, and ideally at least two to contend. But when you can get depth for cheap, you have to do it. And like Bobby Turner has done with the RBs, Kocurek has been able to get production from lesser known guys, or other teams rejects, or low rounders and UDFAs. That's worth its weight in gold... or in cap space, that can then be allocated to other positions where your coaches can't find these guys. Bill Belichik and his staff have been amazing at buying low on defensive backs, so when it comes time to pay one of these guys, he just goes next man up, and keep it cheap, and pay players at other positions. We're lucky to have two such coaches (well, one, but hopefully Turner can come back in 2023). Hopefully we develop more of these coaches (now that I think of it, maybe Demeco has been one with LBs, because we've gotten a lot of quality LB play from a 3rd rounder, a 5th and an UDFA). 

I can't wait to see the next Kocurek project. I still have hope that Kinlaw, on a rebuilt knee, will breakthrough. If that happens, we'll be in a great position. And I really look forward to drafting an edge rusher in the draft. I think a rookie could easily replicate what Key did last year, as a situational rusher. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

So apparently Deebo has wiped his instagram of 9er stuff……if this is how he is then I don’t want him it’s completely childish and he has only had one great season. I hate the is kind of stuff.

😱 😟

Say it isn't so, Deebo!  

If true, I thought we were free of such diva-drama like Kyler was doing in Arizona... 

Could add drama to the Draft--again, if this is really an issue. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er

42 minutes ago, 9erFreak77 said:

So apparently Deebo has wiped his instagram of 9er stuff……if this is how he is then I don’t want him it’s completely childish and he has only had one great season. I hate the is kind of stuff.

#PayTheMan

1 hour ago, 9erFreak77 said:

Unfortunately, this is standard operating procedure during contract negotiations in today's NFL. I wouldn't take this too seriously yet.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Unfortunately, this is standard operating procedure during contract negotiations in today's NFL. I wouldn't take this too seriously yet.

Pretty much. But I do love this tactic...I don't know why...I'm just endlessly amused by it. 

• Like 1