49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@ForgeLet's say we get a mid-2nd rounder for Jimmy. How much cap space do we need to save for our rookie class? Can't be more than around 5M or so, correct?

Going off of Over the Cap, our rookie pool right now is $6.74mil. If we were to get, for the sake of argument, a 2nd & 4th from the Steelers, we'd be looking at a rookie pool of around $9mil. 

That's assuming that we use all 10 draft picks, in this scenario.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually curious to see if we bring him back. I don't think that Williams will be back...he's not what he once was and he has some clear deficiencies in the slot now, particularly against bigger slot receivers. I wonder if we can utilize Dennard in that role as a bigger slot corner. 

I feel like Lenior was drafted to replace KW so I dont see him back either. Still would like a vet to be brought in as comp. Would LOVE if we could get Heyward in this scheme. That would be ideal for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just depends on what the team wants to do and what their priority is.  Some of this is complicated by not putting a priority on it. If you don't put a priority on it and people reach free agency, they become more difficult to sign. Then it depends on the extensions and what other little moves we want to make to free up cap space. We only have 32 players under contract at this point (or something like that). With the vet minimum increases from the last cba agreements, that fills up faster than you think even if you're just adding minimums. I mean, I can get this ball rolling to do a ton of stuff... there's definitely a lot that's possible and very little that is impossible or even unlikely. Just depends on what the team wants to do. 

I have no idea what Jones' market value is. Tomlinson...I'm going to be honest...if this team decided to walk away from 10 million a year? I wouldn't be the most shocked. I don't think its the smartest thing ever given the fact that we can actually count on him, but that's a lot of cheddar. 

I mean last year they expected to have Verrett healthy which proved to be a big mistake. But on paper, Verrett/Moseley/Williams was a good CB group and they got two corners in the draft. Obviously we all knew it was a risk expecting Verrett to stay healthy. This team loves veteran CBs though so I can see them making a move for Gilmore. The two corners I listed are my early targets and if we get one of them, I think we will be fine.

I agree, 10M for a guard is kind of steep but I think Shanny wants to keep some continuity. What if McGlinchey's injury prevents him from playing early in the season? Or heck, for the entire season? Then what? Is it out of the realm of possibility to draft a tackle in the 2nd round? Back to Tomlinson, I guess we do live in a world where the team is expecting Banks to take a big step and be one of our starters and Brunskill keeps his spot at RG. Maybe the drafting of Banks was for the Tomlinson departure and not to replace Brunskill lol.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I feel like Lenior was drafted to replace KW so I dont see him back either. Still would like a vet to be brought in as comp. Would LOVE if we could get Heyward in this scheme. That would be ideal for me.

Same. Hayward would be ideal in our defense and he most likely wouldn't break the bank for us either.

For me, what we do at CB all depends on how the team views Ambry Thomas. If they think he can be a legit starter next year, then I see us taking a corner relatively high in the draft to raise the floor of our CB room. 

If they're not sure about him and would like a vet to assume starting duties, then I see us going after a proven starter in a zone defense in FA and might not take a corner in the draft. 

We're probably only carrying 5 or 6 corners on the 53-man and 3 of those spots are already accounted for. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I could definitely see the team going with Lenoir and Dennard into training camp. I don't know that that's what I'd prefer, but admittedly, I do like Lenoir very much (and I don't think he was given enough reps to make his mistakes and learn, like THomas was given at the end of the year.. .then again, I don't see them practice either. Maybe Thomas deserved it more than Lenoir), and I was also a big fan of Dennard in college. And we know the FO seems to like taking chances and keeping thin margins in the secondary, so I won't be surprised if we "count" on these two. Just like I won't be surprised if our top 3 corners are, very originally, Moseley, Thomas and Verrett, in training camp. 

That's mostly based on what I think our FO would prefer to do. If they do that, and can get an edge rusher in the draft, I'll feel good about this team. My main point of concern remaining, then, is if they take the risk of letting DJ Jones walk, thinking Kinlaw can replace him, and he ends up being sub-par. I hope the team feels AA has cemented his spot inside, and won't send him back to DE again. Hopefully we can get a healthy Maurice Hurst, who could surprise people.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I agree, 10M for a guard is kind of steep but I think Shanny wants to keep some continuity. What if McGlinchey's injury prevents him from playing early in the season? Or heck, for the entire season? Then what? Is it out of the realm of possibility to draft a tackle in the 2nd round? Back to Tomlinson, I guess we do live in a world where the team is expecting Banks to take a big step and be one of our starters and Brunskill keeps his spot at RG. Maybe the drafting of Banks was for the Tomlinson departure and not to replace Brunskill lol.

I think Compton come back. He's cheap and we know where he's at in terms quality of play. As much grief as I give Compton, he really was just like a lesser version of McG...I'm not even sure he was worse than the 2020 version of McG. 

Now, if the McG injury is more of a potential long term thing? Then yeah, definitely I think that we are taking a tackle somewhat early in this draft. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean last year they expected to have Verrett healthy which proved to be a big mistake. But on paper, Verrett/Moseley/Williams was a good CB group and they got two corners in the draft. Obviously we all knew it was a risk expecting Verrett to stay healthy. This team loves veteran CBs though so I can see them making a move for Gilmore. The two corners I listed are my early targets and if we get one of them, I think we will be fine.

Yea, its hard to read the tea leaves@ the interior O-Line positions. I think Banks was looked at as an eventually starter at either OG spot. So if we can keep Laken, he probably battles Brunskill for RG going forward. If we can't resigned Laken then he's the LG by default, which would suck imo because I feel younger guys need to earn their spot rather than it be handed to them due to draft status or poor roster management.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Same. Hayward would be ideal in our defense and he most likely wouldn't break the bank for us either.

For me, what we do at CB all depends on how the team views Ambry Thomas. If they think he can be a legit starter next year, then I see us taking a corner relatively high in the draft to raise the floor of our CB room. 

If they're not sure about him and would like a vet to assume starting duties, then I see us going after a proven starter in a zone defense in FA and might not take a corner in the draft. 

We're probably only carrying 5 or 6 corners on the 53-man and 3 of those spots are already accounted for. 

I think the last 4-5 games tells us they think very highly of Ambry's potential going forward. No way you play a rookie in those type of high anxiety/pressure games and not feel like he has a future in your scheme. If they haven't penciled in Ambry as one of the starters heading into next year, I'd be shocked.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think the last 4-5 games tells us they think very highly of Ambry's potential going forward. No way you play a rookie in those type of high anxiety/pressure games and not feel like he has a future in your scheme. If they haven't penciled in Ambry as one of the starters heading into next year, I'd be shocked.

I don't disagree with you. But if that's the case, then I can't see the Niners spending money on a starting corner like Hayward. I could see them taking a flyer on a cheap, scheme-specific corner to see if we can get some good depth, then also draft a corner as well.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't disagree with you. But if that's the case, then I can't see the Niners spending money on a starting corner like Hayward. I could see them taking a flyer on a cheap, scheme-specific corner to see if we can get some good depth, then also draft a corner as well.  

That's kind of why I think someone like Oliver makes sense. He has starter upside and could come in and compete with Moseley and Thomas, and whoever is the odd man out would give us a starter level backup. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It makes a lot of sense and Jimmy fits in with the personnel they have. Steelers also don't seem like the team that will go all out for Rodgers or Wilson or Watson. 

Hopefully a deal gets done within the next few weeks. 

I believe that a deal will be agreed to by the time the league year opens, especially with the senior bowl and combine. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I believe that a deal will be agreed to by the time the league year opens, especially with the senior bowl and combine. 

Yeah, hopefully even before that. Didn't Alex Smith's deal with Washington finalize even before the Super Bowl? 

It would be funny if it was Washington that did a similar deal for Jimmy lol.

• Like 1