49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Not to mention the fact that the team he plays for next will undoubtedly sign him to a longer deal. 

If he is a FA, he can negotiate with multiple teams and leverage them against each other, whereas if he gets traded, he has to negotiate a contract with only one team.

He will probably make more as a FA, even if he signs with whatever team would have been the team to trade for him. 

Last offseason I was banging the drum of "lets ask jimmy to take a paycut because he isnt worth 25 freaking million dollars" 

I was told that it would never happen. I kept saying the easy route would have been to simply make him a FA in 22.

Paying him 25m, playing him when he was injured knowing he had a 7.5m injury guarantee for 22, having him play like dog poop in the NFCCG, then cutting him and getting nothing is such a debacle that I cannot put it into words. 

I get the sentiment but there was no way Jimmy was going to take a paycut. What would entice him to do so?? Turn down a guaranteed 25 million just to become a FA in 2022 with the hopes of maybe securing the bag again? You know the saying, a bird in the hand....

Makes zero sense if I'm Jimmy. And if his agent had advised him to take such a risk, Jimmy should be the last client he ever secured. We had no incentive to give Jimmy a 'take a paycut or else' type of stance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I get the sentiment but there was no way Jimmy was going to take a paycut. What would entice him to do so?? Turn down a guaranteed 25 million just to become a FA in 2022 with the hopes of maybe securing the bag again? You know the saying, a bird in the hand....

Makes zero sense if I'm Jimmy. And if his agent had advised him to take such a risk, Jimmy should be the last client he ever secured. We had no incentive to give Jimmy a 'take a paycut or else' type of stance.

You are looking at this wrong. 

1) I firmly believe no other team in the NFL would have agreed to pay Jimmy 25m for the 21 season.

I don't think any team in the league wants to pay him 25m for the 22 season either - anyone that trades for him will extend him to reduce his cap hit.

Teams have to know that structuring his contract in a way that gives him 25m this year but has a smaller cap hit will mean he will undoubtedly have 35-40m cap hits in the future. I don't think any team out there wants to have an aging Garoppolo where his cap hits start to become harder and harder to navigate (see Matt Ryan) 

2) if no one else in the league would have paid him 25m for the 2021 season, why should the niners pay an above market rate for a player who is not in their long term plans?? 

3) the money was not guaranteed. You asked "why would he turn down 25m guaranteed?". He had no guaranteed money left. We could have cut him, and he wouldn't have made 25m in 2021

The QB market was crazy last year. Jimmy would have been towards the bottom of the pecking order. If we would have cut him, his market would have dried up pretty fast. He would have been forced to take less than 25m on a marginal team, maybe even a multi year deal at a lower rate because there are only so many starting jobs out there. 

Being a free agent last off-season wouldn't have helped him secure a bigger contract in the future. He and his agent are certainly trying to sign another big money deal.

Jimmy would not have wanted to be a free agent last year with his value at an all time low and a ton of other qbs available. 

The niners could have leaned on this set of facts and gotten him to agree to reduce his contract but then add in some incentives. In hindsight, he probably would have hit some of these incentives and either way it wouldn't have freed up immediate cap space for last season, but still, it would have been a great hedge against injury for example. I was worried we would pay him 25m to not start for us. 

"Take this pay cut, or we cut you, but first go ahead and call around the league and see what kind of money you'd get elsewhere. In exchange you'll be a free agent next year" seems pretty reasonable tbh 

A big part of this would have meant the niners would have actually had to be comfortable with actually cutting him and walking away, which was not something they showed they were willing to do - especially when you consider they played him when he was clearly broken in the nfccg and a game played on cement in 0 degree weather. 

They also had to be comfortable with not getting compensation back this off-season as well, and I understand the idea that this will help offset the Trey trade a little bit. 

So they never tried to do this, but there was a reasonable path for them to do so, and in hindsight it worked out ok simply because he was a consummate professional and a great teammate. Who knows if he would have acted differently if they came after his money.  

It's all besides the point now though. If we cut him, I will laugh simply because the end result would have been the same but maybe we would have gotten a couple million bucks in cap space back for incentives he didn't hit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

You are looking at this wrong. 

1) I firmly believe no other team in the NFL would have agreed to pay Jimmy 25m for the 21 season.

I don't think any team in the league wants to pay him 25m for the 22 season either - anyone that trades for him will extend him to reduce his cap hit.

Teams have to know that structuring his contract in a way that gives him 25m this year but has a smaller cap hit will mean he will undoubtedly have 35-40m cap hits in the future. I don't think any team out there wants to have an aging Garoppolo where his cap hits start to become harder and harder to navigate (see Matt Ryan) 

2) if no one else in the league would have paid him 25m for the 2021 season, why should the niners pay an above market rate for a player who is not in their long term plans?? 

3) the money was not guaranteed. You asked "why would he turn down 25m guaranteed?". He had no guaranteed money left. We could have cut him, and he wouldn't have made 25m in 2021

The QB market was crazy last year. Jimmy would have been towards the bottom of the pecking order. If we would have cut him, his market would have dried up pretty fast. He would have been forced to take less than 25m on a marginal team, maybe even a multi year deal at a lower rate because there are only so many starting jobs out there. 

Being a free agent last off-season wouldn't have helped him secure a bigger contract in the future. He and his agent are certainly trying to sign another big money deal.

Jimmy would not have wanted to be a free agent last year with his value at an all time low and a ton of other qbs available. 

The niners could have leaned on this set of facts and gotten him to agree to reduce his contract but then add in some incentives. In hindsight, he probably would have hit some of these incentives and either way it wouldn't have freed up immediate cap space for last season, but still, it would have been a great hedge against injury for example. I was worried we would pay him 25m to not start for us. 

"Take this pay cut, or we cut you, but first go ahead and call around the league and see what kind of money you'd get elsewhere. In exchange you'll be a free agent next year" seems pretty reasonable tbh 

A big part of this would have meant the niners would have actually had to be comfortable with actually cutting him and walking away, which was not something they showed they were willing to do - especially when you consider they played him when he was clearly broken in the nfccg and a game played on cement in 0 degree weather. 

They also had to be comfortable with not getting compensation back this off-season as well, and I understand the idea that this will help offset the Trey trade a little bit. 

So they never tried to do this, but there was a reasonable path for them to do so, and in hindsight it worked out ok simply because he was a consummate professional and a great teammate. Who knows if he would have acted differently if they came after his money.  

It's all besides the point now though. If we cut him, I will laugh simply because the end result would have been the same but maybe we would have gotten a couple million bucks in cap space back for incentives he didn't hit. 

So we cut Jimmy and then what? We're rolling with a rookie QB who clearly was not ready. Or we're forced to sign some meddling fringe starter type and we're still screwed. Yeah we save some money in the process but we also probably don't even sniff the playoffs and we don't go on the post-season run we had. 

Nobody despised Jimmy more than me from a starting QB perspective but you don't cut your nose to spite your face in this instance. Jimmy made the most sense to keep, even with his 25 million on the books. He knew the offense, inside and out. The lockeroom loved him and we knew at least he was capable of doing enough to get us to the biggest game. You don't forsake the known quantity for the unknown in this scenario. Especially when you have/had aspirations of being a SB contender. You lose all of that when Jimmy calls your bluff and makes you cut him. No way he's going to take a paycut in that scenario. He knew his value to this offense (abiet a small one) and to the team dynamic.

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Steelers to me always made the most sense for Jimmy. 

Just please get this done ASAP and give us any sort of pick at this point where we aren't forced to cut Jimmy and take a 7.5M hit the following year.

I think we went too wildly in one direction a couple weeks ago, talking about getting Sweat or a 1st round pick.. Now we have all swung so far in the opposite direction we think he could get cut. 

it'll be somewhere in the middle.. a 4th this year & a conditional pick that could turn into a 23 2nd from Washington or Pittsburgh 

Edited by adamq
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, N4L said:

Last offseason I was banging the drum of "lets ask jimmy to take a paycut because he isnt worth 25 freaking million dollars" 

I was told that it would never happen. I kept saying the easy route would have been to simply make him a FA in 22.

Yeah, I mentioned several times that my ideal scenario was a paycut in order for him to buy his free agency. Let's say, 15m, we save 10 that rolls over to this year's cap, plus we save his whole salary, which means that we could have created 36m+ in cap space, and Jimmy would have been free to choose his destination. Now, if he somehow gets traded for a decently high pick, I could consider it worth it, but I didn't really count on trade value as having more value than cap space. But the real factor in all this is : why would he do it? Betting on yourself is one thing, but 10m in your bank account is 10m in your bank account. Chances are, he'll make the same thing next year than he would have made in that other scenario, but without taking a paycut.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, adamq said:

I think we went too wildly in one direction a couple weeks ago, talking about getting Sweat or a 1st round pick.. Now we have all swung so far in the opposite direction we think he could get cut. 

it'll be somewhere in the middle.. a 4th this year & a conditional pick that could turn into a 23 2nd from Washington or Pittsburgh 

All those talks about getting Sweat or Young were bat ish crazy. I paid no mind to them lol.

Shoot for a 3rd or 4th rounder and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Steelers to me always made the most sense for Jimmy. 

Just please get this done ASAP and give us any sort of pick at this point where we aren't forced to cut Jimmy and take a 7.5M hit the following year.

TRUBS TO WASHINGTON! 

LIVE IT! LOVE IT! BREATHE IT IN! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

All those talks about getting Sweat or Young were bat ish crazy. I paid no mind to them lol.

Shoot for a 3rd or 4th rounder and move on.

I think that they were jokes for the most part. I know I was being facetious when I brought up Young. I'm glad you paid no mind to my comment because it was nonsensical lol.