Will the 2022 Offseason be one of the most transformative in NFL history?

43M

With the retirements of guys like Ben Roethlisberger and (maybe) Tom Brady, and the very possible trades of guys like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and DeShaun Watson, are we going to potentially witness one of the biggest offseasons in regards to reshaping the landscape of the NFL?

Obviously, most of AFC staples will remain in place, especially since most of them have talented young franchise QBs....but the NFC looks like some huge shifts could potentially happen.

If Brady retires, the Bucs are still a good team, but top team good?   I dont know.   Depends who replaces Brady, I guess.

The Steelers honestly arent losing much with current Ben Roethlisberger retiring....but what happens?   Do they remain a middling team?   Slink to the bottom of the league?   

Packers might go from a perennial contender to a middling team without Rodgers.   Feel however you want about him, but no one expects Jordan Love to be a fraction of what Rodgers is/was.    

Seattle may be a disappointment the last few years, but a healthy Russell Wilson makes any team he plays for an instant contender.  

And if Watson gets traded, that could have major shockwaves for years to come....but thats very much in the air.

Beyond QBs, there are a bunch of other key free agents out there that could have significant impacts, as well as other potential trades and cuts that could change alot.

So, do you believe this 2022 offseason could be one of the most league-defining offseasons in recent memory?   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

With the retirements of guys like Ben Roethlisberger and (maybe) Tom Brady, and the very possible trades of guys like Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and DeShaun Watson, are we going to potentially witness one of the biggest offseasons in regards to reshaping the landscape of the NFL?

Obviously, most of AFC staples will remain in place, especially since most of them have talented young franchise QBs....but the NFC looks like some huge shifts could potentially happen.

If Brady retires, the Bucs are still a good team, but top team good?   I dont know.   Depends who replaces Brady, I guess.

The Steelers honestly arent losing much with current Ben Roethlisberger retiring....but what happens?   Do they remain a middling team?   Slink to the bottom of the league?   

Packers might go from a perennial contender to a middling team without Rodgers.   Feel however you want about him, but no one expects Jordan Love to be a fraction of what Rodgers is/was.    

Seattle may be a disappointment the last few years, but a healthy Russell Wilson makes any team he plays for an instant contender.  

And if Watson gets traded, that could have major shockwaves for years to come....but thats very much in the air.

Beyond QBs, there are a bunch of other key free agents out there that could have significant impacts, as well as other potential trades and cuts that could change alot.

So, do you believe this 2022 offseason could be one of the most league-defining offseasons in recent memory?   

And you didn't even include the potential trade of Jimmy G 

I love change. 

- The GOAT retiring? Holy cow. 

- Ben retiring? First ballot Hall of Famer. Granted, he should of retired last year and was only holding his team back this season. Although still an upgrade over Mason Rudolph who should be a practice squad player at best. 

- Jim Harbaugh back in the NFL? Sign me up. Always loved his fiery passion, and terrific Head Coach. 

- Rodgers on a new team? Looking more likely than unlikely. 

- Wilson on a new team? Probably not, but it’s possible. 

- The birth of Joe Burrow starting his journey to elite as Brady/Ben retire. 

- Josh Allen further development and looking special. We all thought Mahomes was alone… but Allen and Burrow are closing in. Good to see such great QB play on multiple teams. 

- Josh McDaniels second go around. A rare Boom or Bust type HC. Could be Top 4-5 HC, or could fail completely. Has he learned from his first go around? Also, can the Pats have a good offense without McDaniels? Kraft and Bill really didn’t want him to leave to the Colts. 

- The Draft continues to get more and more popular every year. 

- Two 4 seeds in the Super Bowl, nice to see Any Given Sunday have more meaning than ever. 

- Can the 2021 QB class emerge? Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, and Justin Fields. Argued as one of the best QB classes ever going in. No one expected much their rookie seasons (except for maybe Lawrence). Can they develop and ball out?

- Can Jordan Love make the next step after two years learning?

- Will Madden be given a 45 year exclusive license agreement and have one mode: Ultimate Team?

I love change. 2022 is gonna be a very interesting year. 

Also forgot:

- What happens with Watson? Another interesting development and the long lost forgotten Top 5-6 QB. 

Edited by BayRaider

I think its 33% Brady retires 33% he asks to be released or traded and 33% he stays on Tampa.

There would be worse things for SF than 1 year of Brady and Gronk. (as one example)

I think Tampa is going to be worse next year just because of cap, an aging roster, and free agency.

They could still win 10 or 11 games with Brady in a terrible division but I would not expect them to make a playoff run.

• Like 1

Its going to be a very interesting offseason.  Lots of question marks and it seems there will be some new blood.  I think Rodgers leaves just because of what we have seen both Brady and Stafford on a new team succeed in the first year.  Everything points to Denver IMO.  Russell I have no idea about but he probably stays I assume.  Watson is one of the biggest mysteries this offseason... Aside from all the BS I would like to see what Watson can do with a different roster/team.  I think Brady retires for sure and there will be a lot of stuff that will happen with that roster.  I feel they should just let it ride with Trask to see what happens because like you said the roster is pretty old and they have to get some younger guys in there.  I bet the Steelers can make the playoffs with Gardner Minshew or Mitch Trubisky and they could get them for cheap I'm assuming.

4 hours ago, biggie. said:

I doubt TB will be good; I think they'll be picking top 5 if Brady retires. Leftwich is gone, Godwin is a FA, Gronk and Lenny are goners if Brady goes and nothing indicates Trask is even close to being the guy.

They are not top 5 bad with that front 7 still playing at a high level and there is likely going to be options at QB going into the offseason. Obviously it is a massive step back, but they will still be a solid football team in a terrible division.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

They are not top 5 bad with that front 7 still playing at a high level and there is likely going to be options at QB going into the offseason. Obviously it is a massive step back, but they will still be a solid football team in a terrible division.

Front seven is old...   Lavonte is 32, JPP is 34,  Suh is like 34/35, and McClendon is 36.   They did draft JTS in the first round so he should probably take JPPs spot.   Not sure what Suh will do but its possible he retires.   I agree with you though I don't see them playing top 5 bad.  If anything their ceiling will probably be what like the Eagles were 10-7 or 9-8 this season if Brady retires and they don't get one of the top qbs like Wilson, Watson, etc..