2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Because he's 26 years old, is an established top 10 QB, and has shown the potential to be a top 5 QB. I'd have fully supported the Rams giving up the same for Watson before the sexual assault allegations last offseason. Now that he's not being criminally charged, there's not a ton of risk there. 

$230M guaranteed is a risk with any player and the Browns only made that move because they realized Baker wasn't going to take them anywhere.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

One of the most ideal situations? That's a massive overstatement. Yes, the Browns had a great running game and OL. But they also had an underwhelming WR group and an average defense. As for their coaching, Stefanski hasn't proven himself to be in the Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Sean Payton, etc. tier. Baker was in a good situation, and he produced good results.

Another massive overstatement. The 2020 Browns were not a Super Bowl team.

This is pretty fair-ish.

Not sure I agree that the defense matters to his offensive production, since his W/L wasn't really a problem that year, but I'm actually probably in the minority that agree Stefanski is still unproven and his WRs were certainly underwhelming that year. I don't know if it's enough to suggest that situation wasn't good overall, but for purposes of discussion I will agree.

I meant it more hyperbolically in the sense of 'its a better situation than most get', but you're absolutely right - It wasn't a SB roster, it was a playoff roster.

The problem is - no roster that's considering Baker is going to be as good of a roster as that, IMO, so how high can expectations really be with Baker?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

This is pretty fair-ish.

Not sure I agree that the defense matters to his offensive production, since his W/L wasn't really a problem that year, but I'm actually probably in the minority that agree Stefanski is still unproven and his WRs were certainly underwhelming that year. I don't know if it's enough to suggest that situation wasn't good overall, but for purposes of discussion I will agree.

I meant it more hyperbolically in the sense of 'its a better situation than most get', but you're absolutely right - It wasn't a SB roster, it was a playoff roster.

The problem is - no roster that's considering Baker is going to be as good of a roster as that, IMO, so how high can expectations really be with Baker?

I feel like the Giants actually have a shot at being good if they had Baker. I get that signing Tyrod complicates that, but they have a good WR group. And they have the draft picks to fully address their OL's shortcomings.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

$230M guaranteed is a risk with any player and the Browns only made that move because they realized Baker wasn't going to take them anywhere.

The Browns made that move because you don't stick with an inconsistent QB when a younger, better franchise QB is staring you in the face.

Just now, jrry32 said:

The Browns made that move because you don't stick with an inconsistent QB when a younger, better franchise QB is staring you in the face.

We've seen two separate teams give up draft capital for Wentz and no one is willing to pull the trigger for Baker. I think teams just don't view him very highly.

A QB who is 29-30 and injured with sub-par stats in 4 years is one thing. Now make that same QB a toddler who is about to be owed franchise tag+ money? Its the easiest decision in the world to move on.

How they moved on is of course very complicated.

Edited by SkippyX

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We've seen two separate teams give up draft capital for Wentz and no one is willing to pull the trigger for Baker. I think teams just don't view him very highly.

The Redskins gave up draft capital for Wentz before Baker was a possibility. If I were in their shoes, I'd be regretting that right now.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I feel like the Giants actually have a shot at being good if they had Baker. I get that signing Tyrod complicates that, but they have a good WR group. And they have the draft picks to fully address their OL's shortcomings.

I'd be advocating for my Giants to trade for him, but they are super strapped money wise and cannot afford his contract. If he were to be cut, we should be cutting/trading DJ and signing him to be the starter no doubt.

I think Baker is in the opposite situation as Watson- while Watson was essentially rewarded for doing some really bad things, Baker is being punished for toughing it out and playing through an injury last year that he shouldn't have been playing through. He's a way more valuable and better player than people are making him out to be right now.

• Like 1