BDL 2017 Week 9: Portland Horned Owls @ Gotham Gashslayers

Whicker

Portland Horned Owls @ Gotham Gashslayers  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Portland Horned Owls
    • Gotham Gashslayers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2017 at 03:00 PM

40 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I mixed up stafford and wentz in my brain typos happen ilash. I still read the gameplans and wentz with the better team IMO. 

If you want me to give a full breakdown of why I think Portland would win I'm more than happy to do it out of boredom. 

Ha!

And yes, I would!

39 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I just wonder why you rush your vote and then leave things like "comment because I have to".  By the time you vote, you still have more than a full day to actually do so, yet it seems like you try to blast them all out in a small window and then get gradually more annoyed with the process as you do it.

"Comment because I have to" is mostly a joke at this point because I usually say it in lopsided games that don't really leave much for me to say besides "Compton is starting Case Keenum etc." 

I vote  on mondays because I'm on a football high of the MNF game no point in waiting an extra day only for me to come to the same conclusion. . 

Not annoyed with the process at all, reading gameplans and voting is easily the best part about this league. 

6 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

Ha!

And yes, I would!

Alright let's start with the obvious, QB situations. Portland possess a top 12 QB in Derek Carr who is fully capable of beating an elite defense with the weapons portland has, Gotham despite possessing two of the best CBs in BDL is susceptible to the pass due fo the fact they don't really have the personell to eliminate Portland's RBs from the passing game. . Austin Hooper is also a decent weapon though Sammy Watkins will more or less get erased by whoever covers him. I can see Davante Adams doing some damage against Rhodes for the tune of 5-65 Portland's 3rd WR is entirely irrelevant for much of the game though. 

Gotham has a front seven fully capable of shutting down most team's run games but you can't exactly focus on it with Derek Carr back there and he'll eventually make Gotham pay for focusing too much on the RBs. I expect Carr would be under a large amount of pressure though and IMO that would normally swing things to Gotham's side but Wentz's o-line isn't the best either and I'd expect Kawann Short to live in the backfield most of the game and portland would win on the inside for the majority of the game and putting tons of pressure on Wentz as well. 

Basically it came down to which team could do more offensiveley and outside of Thomas, Davis, Landry Gotham has no weapons to take advantage of Portland's weaknesses on defense. I don't think Davis does much against Portland's LBs or safeties while Thomas is dealing with Jimmy Smith and some double coverage. Landry taking on Joeseph is a matchup he can win but outside of that I see Portland more or less shutting down Gotham's entire offense for the majority of the game and forcing Wentz to win it with his arm. Wentz is fully capable of doing that but he can't throw it to Landry/Thomas/Davis and expect that to work the entire game. 

TDLR: Portland can use their RBs to get a decent running game going and supplement their passing offense which would struggle against an elite secondary normally. 23-20 Portland.

Man Portland's offense does not look good right now. Carr is overrated and I'm not enthused at all by that OL and weapon set. Gotham while they don't have a particularly exciting OL, have a QB at the top of his game who will make some plays. Landry & Thomas are a pretty good and should get some wins against that Portland secondary. I don't really see any avenue for success for Portland's WR group against that Gotham secondary.

This is low scoring and Gotham beat down on Portland a fair bit. 

Gotham 20 - Portand 9

57 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Man Portland's offense does not look good right now. Carr is overrated and I'm not enthused at all by that OL and weapon set. Gotham while they don't have a particularly exciting OL, have a QB at the top of his game who will make some plays. Landry & Thomas are a pretty good and should get some wins against that Portland secondary. I don't really see any avenue for success for Portland's WR group against that Gotham secondary.

This is low scoring and Gotham beat down on Portland a fair bit. 

Gotham 20 - Portand 9

How is a top 10 QB at all overrated? 

I going to go Portland here in another very low scoring affair. Demaryius Thomas has long lost his elite WR status for me and I'm very unimpressed with Doug Martin, Jarvis Landry, and Vernon Davis. I think Portland shuts down the Gotham offense and makes enough plays with their running backs to win this game.

I like Portland a lot, but at the end of the day, even without JJ Watt for Gotham I think Portlands OL is gonna get Carr killed before this game is over. It's also going to really stifle Jordan Howard. I don't love the weapons Gotham has, but they're decent and Wentz has shown he spreads the ball around and makes guys looks good.

Archived