Jim Harbaugh returning to Michigan

RaidersAreOne

Harbaugh: “There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn’t get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the Vikings. For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, ‘I’m gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they have 100 percent conviction on this, then it’s something I’m gonna do.”

But when the Vikings didn’t offer him the job, Harbaugh says he let Michigan know he won’t be looking for NFL jobs again.

“I called Warde [Manuel, the Michigan athletic director] and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, ‘Yes, 100 percent.’ And I said, OK then. That’s what I want to do.’ And I told him, ‘Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one-time thing.”

“Sure, the Super Bowl is the greatest prize in our sport. But winning a national championship, that’s pretty darn great. Let’s do that. There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl, but this was the time [to try and return.] And this is the last time. Now let’s go chase college football’s greatest prize.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/jim-harbaugh-vikings-interview-was-a-one-time-thing-im-done-chasing-nfl-jobs/

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jim basically got rejected by both the Raiders and Vikings... very surprising. 

Not really when you view yourself as a combination Belicheck / Gruden. GM power/control and Gruden type 💰.  Guarantee that was his assumption.  Oops!

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

Really expected NFL teams to be all over him....

Now he's being tossed aside for unknown commodities....

NFL is a weird place.

I’m convinced if Mark Davis hadn’t just been burned by giving the level of power and money he did to Gruden, he’d have hired Harbaugh weeks ago.

I’m also not convinced at all that Harbaugh is “all in” or whatever he’s saying to Michigan right now to try and save face. A few years down the line if a job where he thinks he’ll get lots of cash and all the control comes up, these rumors will start again. He’s confirmed that he wants to win the sport’s premier trophy and that won’t change. It’s just the kind of competitive guy he is.

• Like 2

Probably logic and some level of past history.

for the last 20 years they hover around a 2-3 loss program.  Last year ended up being exactly that…and recruiting still hasn’t got better.

have one year of success, lose a lot of what caused the success….and “we are back” will get the laughs from many.

50 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Probably logic and some level of past history.

for the last 20 years they hover around a 2-3 loss program.  Last year ended up being exactly that…and recruiting still hasn’t got better.

have one year of success, lose a lot of what caused the success….and “we are back” will get the laughs from many.

Except they didn’t lose alot.  There’s a few question marks but the bulk of the team is returning

another top 10 recruiting class as well

Edited by Miblue

58 minutes ago, Miblue said:

Except they didn’t lose alot.  There’s a few question marks but the bulk of the team is returning

another top 10 recruiting class as well

Your DBs and Edge are a huge loss as well as the DC

Was top 10, but the gap grows further every single year between the stacked rosters and yours.

neither of us will change our minds, so 

enjoy your 9-3/10-2 season

Edited by malibuspeedrace
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Losing three first round picks on defense and the DC

"We didn't lose much"

Anyone not wearing maize shades would recognize that Jim himself saw what we all saw, and tried to jump ship while the iron was hot.

Going to be amusing to reflect back on Oklahoma in 10-20 years in the same light we view Michigan today.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Anyone not wearing maize shades would recognize that Jim himself saw what we all saw, and tried to jump ship while the iron was hot.

who knows what goes on in 8 hour long private interviews, but it's possible the Vikings sensed how quickly his shifting winds of loyalty can change, thus the lack of contract offered.

• Like 1