Jimmy Garoppolo vs Baker Mayfield

DerbyRam

Jimmy Garoppolo vs Baker Mayfield  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better QB heading into 2022?

• Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Baker Mayfield

On 2/4/2022 at 6:57 AM, Tightspiral7 said:

Jimmy G to me is a much lesser Romo.

I think this was what he could have been. When he was coming up, there were certainly some Romo traits (both good and bad)

49ers vs Vikings pregame thread - Divisional Round 2019 | Page 54 | 49ers  Webzone Forum

I'm not sure if he was completely derailed by the ACL injury or what, but most niner fans will tell you that the versions of Jimmy G are different before and after the event. 

On 2/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, biggie. said:

People who are dumping on Baker after he spent of most of 2021 injured are the ones who panic sell their stocks.

What about the people dumping on Baker because they never felt he was all that good? 

My opinion on Baker has largely remained the same....he's that same family of QBs that will forever drive you nuts. 

• Like 2

Baker looked legitimately impressive to me at the very start of the season before getting his season derailed with significant injuries that he did his best to try and play through… to the detriment of his reputation, unfortunately. Unfortunately football fans are victims of recency bias at all times. 

Edited by NoFlyZone

7 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Baker looked legitimately impressive to me at the very start of the season before getting his season derailed with significant injuries that he did his best to try and play through… to the detriment of his reputation, unfortunately. Unfortunately football fans are victims of recency bias at all times. 

He hurt himself in week 2 and he wasn't super impressive in the years prior. He has stretches of good play, but nothing that has stretched consistently over a season. Even before the injury, there was nothing that suggest that he should be placed above guys like Cousins or Carr or Tannehill who are generally derided. He also has to be supported with a good offensive line. He's just straight up brutal when under pressure. 

I like Baker. I think him not shutting it down this season was a bad move though. Playing through pain only makes you a hero if you can sustain a good level of play. If you’re hurting the team because you’re playing hurt that’s just stupid, and it might’ve cost him millions. 

Baker has better arm talent for certain, and better potential. Yet even with that caveat he hasn't necessarily separated himself as a passer more so than Jimmy. If Baker was with Shanahan I don't necessarily think the 49ers have a better winning percentage this entire time, or would have won a Super Bowl. Something is just off with Baker that makes him play below the level he should be playing at. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

I understand people having an opinion one way or another, but surprised anyone can think that Baker is light years ahead of Jimmy G when their numbers suggest the exact opposite, even ignoring their winning record. 

Baker
61.6% completion
14,125 yards
7.3 yards average
92-56 touchdown/interception (1.64)
87.8 career passing rating
27 fumbles, 12 lost

Jimmy G
67.7% completion
11,852 yards
8.4 yards average
71-38 touchdown/interceptions (1.86)
98.9 career passing rating
8 fumbles, 3 lost

I'm not overly high on either QB, but I'd suggest Baker has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's comprehensively the better of the two.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 5:29 AM, DerbyRam said:

I understand people having an opinion one way or another, but surprised anyone can think that Baker is light years ahead of Jimmy G when their numbers suggest the exact opposite, even ignoring their winning record. 

Baker
61.6% completion
14,125 yards
7.3 yards average
92-56 touchdown/interception (1.64)
87.8 career passing rating
27 fumbles, 12 lost

Jimmy G
67.7% completion
11,852 yards
8.4 yards average
71-38 touchdown/interceptions (1.86)
98.9 career passing rating
8 fumbles, 3 lost

I'm not overly high on either QB, but I'd suggest Baker has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he's comprehensively the better of the two.

Jimmy G = Jared Goff.  The 9ers are looking to trade him this offseason.  If he goes to a mediocre team he's going to be exposed.  I think his stats are padded because he's had an amazing ground game and great defense with the 9ers and he also played for the Patriots who always have great rosters and coaching.  

I honestly don't think either are all that great but using stats as a part of the argument just reminds me people arguing that Goff was better than Stafford based upon stats and win/loss records.

So yes, I'm going with Baker being the better quarterback (not by much, but better).  Also, Jimmy G. doesn't have the "it/x" factor.  No ice coursing through those veins.

22 hours ago, Jerry said:

Jimmy G = Jared Goff.  The 9ers are looking to trade him this offseason.  If he goes to a mediocre team he's going to be exposed.  I think his stats are padded because he's had an amazing ground game and great defense with the 9ers and he also played for the Patriots who always have great rosters and coaching.  

I honestly don't think either are all that great but using stats as a part of the argument just reminds me people arguing that Goff was better than Stafford based upon stats and win/loss records.

So yes, I'm going with Baker being the better quarterback (not by much, but better).  Also, Jimmy G. doesn't have the "it/x" factor.  No ice coursing through those veins.

In fairness, that didn't happen to Goff. Goff was at the very least on par this year with what he did last year on a much better team. He's never going to reach the heights that he had with Mcvay those first two years, but he's that 14-20 type QB which isn't the worst thing in the world. 

Jimmy G has the "it" factor in the regular season. Pretty bizarre what happens in the playoffs though. 

22 hours ago, Tightspiral7 said:

That's harsh. Jimmy G is better than Goff.

eh...I think the pendulum may have swung a little too much the other way on Goff. I think he and Jimmy are about on par with one another. I'd take Goff because of the durability though.