Justin Jefferson: Keep getting better in Year 3!

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Do we run the ball more? How does the Dolphins leading rusher compare to Cook? Can certainly argue that the run game benefits Jefferson in ways it may not for Hill.

As a team, the Vikings only have 50 more yds rushing than the Dolphins do.  If you compare specifically their primary RBs, the Dolphins have 872 yds (Mostert, Wilson and the departed Edmonds) while the Vikings have 1001 between Cook and Mattison.  

The league is getting better and better and ESPN ranked their top players under the age of 25. Justin Jefferson should rank highly on these lists and he did here with the panel ranking him at second overall, one spot behind defender Micah Parsons.

Here is what ESPN’s Matt Bowen had to say about the 23-year-old dynamic receiver from LSU.

“A true difference-maker in the Vikings’ offense, Jefferson has the ability to take over games. We can look at the savvy route-running traits, the vertical juice or the ability to make contested catches. He wins at every level of the field. And with three straight seasons of over 1,000 yards receiving, Jefferson is already one of the league’s best at the position. According to NFL Next Gen Stats, he has made 23.5 receptions over expectation during his career, and his 4,248 receiving yards tops the NFL since 2020 by more than 300.“

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/11/29/vikings-justin-jefferson-espn-micah-parsons/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3VP8ZSKo1CAa5xstDN2y7vp5GPsWJ0wosLQthXu37tv53whM0KhfxgZa0

17 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The league is getting better and better and ESPN ranked their top players under the age of 25. Justin Jefferson should rank highly on these lists and he did here with the panel ranking him at second overall, one spot behind defender Micah Parsons.

I really don't get rankings like top players under the age of 25--especially as the try comparing apples to oranges.   Wouldn't it be more objective to compare Jefferson to other receivers, and Parsons to other edge rushers?  Trying to determine most valuable between two players on opposite sides of the ball, playing completely different positions, is no more valid than a popularity contest.  

Others may disagree, but I would rather have Jefferson than Parsons on my team, if I could only have one.  But they are both the best at the positions they play.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

it's of course too early to make any career predictions, but Jefferson is exceeding nearly all of Moss' team records.

could he out-Randy Randy...?

It's certainly possible...he's more Jerry Rice than Randy in style though, which is what makes him unique from Randy.  

• Like 6

HE RUNS DOWNFIELD as if traveling on grooves. He reaches full speed within two strides, his feet like stones skipping across a flat lake, his hips swerving in and out of cuts without betraying his intent. Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson is a storm that feels far away until it's suddenly overhead. Defenders must feel like they're trying to cover a cloud.

To further define that ability, I asked legendary receiver coach Jerry Sullivan, 78, who became Jefferson's mentor and personal coach after working as a consultant and offensive analyst during Jefferson's first two seasons at LSU. Sullivan spent more than 25 years in the NFL coaching some of the best ever, including Isaac Bruce and Larry Fitzgerald. He should know.

"Well, I've got a word for you," Sullivan says.

A few seconds pass; I fear we've been disconnected.

"Sudden," he says, loudly. "The word for Justin is sudden."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35146086/inside-justin-jefferson-record-breaking-physics-defying-rise-minnesota-vikings

• Like 1

Justin Jefferson has the best odds of any non-quarterback for the MVP award this season and he was asked about being mentioned as a candidate for the award. Quarterbacks have won the last nine MVPs and no wide receiver has ever won it, so Jefferson’s definitely a dark horse and he said that he would be happy just to be nominated come the end of the season.

Jefferson:  “To consider me as an MVP candidate is something that I’m grateful for. But MVP won’t determine the stuff that I did for my team throughout the season. I’m the Most Valuable Player in my own eyes. Getting the award would be fantastic, but to be in the discussion is good enough.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/02/justin-jefferson-being-in-mvp-discussion-is-good-enough-for-me/

• Like 1