Justin Jefferson: Keep getting better in Year 3!

vike daddy

47 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I often forget just how good Jake Reed was for us. He was a 24 year old rookie from Grambling. Played mostly special teams his first 3 years, and then exploded. From 1994-1997, he had over 1100 yards in all 4 seasons. 

And people seem to forget how he didn't complain when they drafted Moss.  That streak would have lasted longer were it not for that.  I've never forgotten how good Jake Reed was.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And people seem to forget how he didn't complain when they drafted Moss.  That streak would have lasted longer were it not for that.  I've never forgotten how good Jake Reed was.  

Yes.  Reed was very productive for the Vikes.  They were hard to stop when Moss, Carter and Reed were on the field simultaneously. When the defense doubled Moss, inevitably Carter or Reed was open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Week 1 against the Packers, he had 2.

I know he’s been really close on a few since then. Hopefully he can punch some more but scoring TDs has been a concern of mine with this offense so hopefully they can figure it out. I know Thielen will get a lot of looks in the red zone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I know he’s been really close on a few since then. Hopefully he can punch some more but scoring TDs has been a concern of mine with this offense so hopefully they can figure it out. I know Thielen will get a lot of looks in the red zone. 

I’m not too concerned about his TD numbers. Thielen, Osborn and Irv come through because teams are so concerned about JJ torching them. As long as drives end in TDs, there’s no reason to be concerned about who scores them. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m not too concerned about his TD numbers. Thielen, Osborn and Irv come through because teams are so concerned about JJ torching them. As long as drives end in TDs, there’s no reason to be concerned about who scores them. 

Not a matter of who, more about converting field goals into TDs and maybe punting less. 

Jefferson credited his success over the past few weeks to O'Connell continuing to move the wide receiver around in the offensive scheme.

Jefferson: "I think K.O. has been doing a great job of just motioning me around, giving the defense different looks. I think it's very hard for people to key on where I'm at when I'm motioning around before the play."

https://www.vikings.com/news/offense-at-bye-stats-5-1-start-room-improvement

Jerry Rice had 3,575 receiving yards through his first 3 seasons in the NFL. Justin Jefferson has 3,670... with 11 games left to play this year.

vikings.com

doesn't mean JJ will last as long as Rice, but it certainly continues to show the impressive start relative to his peers.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Justin Jefferson is not real. Make no mistake about it: Jefferson had one of the best games you'll ever see from a wide receiver. His 22-yard touchdown to kick off this wild contest was a fine grab, but it was maybe his fifth-most impressive play of the game. He hauled in a critical 14-yard catch on third down that helped the Vikings on a field-goal drive and kept it a one-score game in the first half, but he saved his best work for the fourth quarter and overtime. Jefferson's 32-yard catch on fourth-and-18 is not only a Catch of the Year candidate, but it might be the best he'll ever haul in from an artistic standpoint. The Vikings also don't win if he misses it. Jefferson (10 receptions for 193 yards) appeared to score the go-ahead TD near the end zone at the end of regulation, but it was ruled short, and the Vikings almost blew it thereafter. Once it went to overtime, Jefferson hauled in a 13-yard catch and drew a pass interference call that set up the game-winning field goal. He's simply playing at an unreal level, with 814 yards since Week 4 alone, and his heroics helped deliver a statement victory for Minnesota.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-10-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

• Like 3

Jefferson is the perfect kind of receiver for the modern NFL. The NFL spent the better part of my formative years looking for the Randy/Megatron/Julio Jones kind of players that win with physicality. 

I have nothing to back this, but I feel like as the quality of OL play has declined, the precise route runners with incredible ball skills are just a better fit than the physical freaks.

JJ/Diggs/Adams/Kupp/Chase/McLaurin types vs AJ Brown and DK Metcalf.

• Like 1

Per the league, it was Jefferson’s 20th career 100-yard game. He now owns the record for the most such efforts in the first three years of a player’s career. The two players with 19 were Randy Moss and Odell Beckham, who had 19 each.

Jefferson also passed Moss and Lance Alworth for the most 150-yard games in the first three years of a career. Jefferson has seven; Moss and Alworth have six. There’s more. Jefferson now has 4,076 receiving yards in 42 games, matching Beckham and Alworth for the fastest to 4,000.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/13/justin-jefferson-racks-up-record-number-of-100-150-yard-games-in-first-three-seasons/

• Like 2