Justin Jefferson: Keep getting better in Year 3!

vike daddy

On 12/17/2022 at 7:36 PM, vike daddy said:

Jefferson was ranked by 247Sports as the nation's 308th best wide receiver coming out of high school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Jefferson

i wonder how the other 307 guys turned out...

I see the following of note in that class from the top 100 on rivals :

Donovan Peoples-Jones (now in Cle)

Tee Higgins (Cincy)

Jerry Jeudy (Denver)

Devonta Smith (Philly)

Ceedee Lamb (Dal)

Amari Rodgers (GB)

Jalen Reagor (Min)

Keyshawn Johnson, Jr (just a student at AZ now)

KJ Hamler (Den)

The highest ranked guy on there that was a nobody was Trevon Grimes at #4, who signed as a UDFA with Philly last year, only to get waived from IR before ever even getting to training camp last year.

• Like 1

It's just my opinion, of course, and if you don't agree it's okay.  3 years into his career Justin Jefferson is a better weapon than Randy Moss.  He is a better route runner, who works at his craft, and he's tougher!  He takes shots that Randy never did.  I love what Moss did in his Minnesota career...but, I can't believe I'm even thinking this...I'd rather have JJ.

16 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

It's just my opinion, of course, and if you don't agree it's okay.  3 years into his career Justin Jefferson is a better weapon than Randy Moss.  He is a better route runner, who works at his craft, and he's tougher!  He takes shots that Randy never did.  I love what Moss did in his Minnesota career...but, I can't believe I'm even thinking this...I'd rather have JJ.

i don't know....

i guess i'd rather have JJ because he has a better attitude and team spirit, but it's not like he has games where he has three catches and they're all 50+ yards and td's.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i don't know....

i guess i'd rather have JJ because he has a better attitude and team spirit, but it's not like he has games where he has three catches and they're all 50+ yards and td's.

That's accurate.  Randy was the boom or bust type and could change the game on a single play far more often than JJ can.  JJ can certainly do it, as evidenced by his catch in the Buffalo game, but he's far more consistent than Randy ever was.  JJ would be like if you took Randy and Cris and mashed them together, but with probably 70% Cris, 30% Randy.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i don't know....

Not yet.

Edited by Sir Fobos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

That's accurate.  Randy was the boom or bust type and could change the game on a single play far more often than JJ can.  JJ can certainly do it, as evidenced by his catch in the Buffalo game, but he's far more consistent than Randy ever was.  JJ would be like if you took Randy and Cris and mashed them together, but with probably 70% Cris, 30% Randy.  

Moss would take himself out of games if things weren't going his way too. JJ just seems to work harder. 

That said, there's never been a natural talent like Randy Moss. Even at the end of his career, he was a threat because of his gifts. Guys that tall, that fast, that athletic are generational. That's what he has over JJ. That said, JJ's work ethic and dedication to his craft may end up putting him over the top like it did for Jerry Rice. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes. he could be triple teamed and still come down with the catch. JJ is not yet attracting that kind of attention.

And I'm not sure he'll ever attract that type of attention.  As indicated, he doesn't have Moss' size and speed, which almost warranted that type of attention.  JJ will certainly receive double-teaming, but with how offenses operate nowadays with lots of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE) often, I can't imagine the defenses will want to triple-team anyone in particular, because they'd get killed.  

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/19/kevin-oconnell-justin-jefferson-keeps-taking-illegal-hits-and-they-dont-seem-to-be-accidents/

"I think it’s about the fifth or sixth week in a row he took a type of hit that drew a flag. Clearly, there’s an emphasis on the teams we’re playing that some of those hits, they don’t just seem to be by accident at times,” O’Connell said, via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

I don't know if the hits are products of the routes and throws or not, but I don't think defensive coordinators are discouraging those hits either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Recency bias. If you think Jefferson has been better than Moss, you’ve forgotten how good Moss was. 

If you are directing these remarks at me, I respect your opinion. But, I remember Moss VERY well.  I remember other great Viking receivers as well, such as:

Stefon Diggs

Cris Carter

Anthony Carter

Sammy White

Ahmad Rashad

Hell, I even remember Gene Washington!

While not as physically gifted as Moss, or some of the others on the list, right now, Jefferson is the one I'd want.

Again, I respect your opinion, but I don't believe I am forgetting or not appreciating Randy Moss. Nor do I suffer from recency. 

I didn't follow the pre-draft process that closely in 2020..I was looking at some of the old threads on FF right before the draft in 2020 to see what the general opinion was on JJ and in relative terms, wow it's crazy how low people thought of JJ. This thread is gold lol

• Like 1