Which team made the best head coaching hire this offseason?

49ersfan

A bit bias but I’ll say McDaniels #1 for the crazy ceiling alone. 

Tier 1:

1) Josh McDaniels - Raiders

2) Brian Daboll - Giants

3) Nathaniel Hackett - Broncos 

Swap Daboll and Hackett if Rodgers goes to the Broncos. That’s a great combination. 

Tier 2: 

4) Mike McDaniel - Dolphins

5) Kevin O’Connell - Vikings

Tier 3:

6) Matt Eberflus - Bears

7) Doug Pederson - Jaguars

8 ) Dennis Allen - Saints

Tier 4:

9) Lovie Smith - Texans

Pedersen best hire, by quite a bit IMO.

A lot of the other guys have the potential to be Super Bowl winning coaches. Pedersen has literally done it (in his second year).

After the Urban fiasco, bringing in a guy with that kind of resume and offensive mindset is exactly what Jacksonville needed. Even if he doesn't get them to a title, he's going to turn that franchise into a formidable contender with a 6–8 win floor, IMO. 

People will complain about his faults as a coach during his tenure in Philly and pretend like every single coach doesn't receive similar criticisms, but he's my vote for sure. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

A bit bias but I’ll say McDaniels #1 for the crazy ceiling alone. 

Tier 1:

1) Josh McDaniels - Raiders

2) Brian Daboll - Giants

3) Nathaniel Hackett - Broncos 

Swap Daboll and Hackett if Rodgers goes to the Broncos. That’s a great combination. 

Tier 2: 

4) Mike McDaniel - Dolphins

5) Kevin O’Connell - Vikings

Tier 3:

6) Matt Eberflus - Bears

7) Doug Pederson - Jaguars

8 ) Dennis Allen - Saints

Tier 4:

9) Lovie Smith - Texans

I actually don’t like McDaniels to the Raiders at all, and I would be willing to bet the majority of Raiders fans will be over him by the end of next season. 

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You can say that every year though, pretty rare when guys like Shanahan get hired. 

Speak for yourself. Last year I liked the Saleh hire. Stefanski the year prior. Flores/Fangio before that. Vrabel/Reich. It goes on.

I thought Brian Daboll was the best head coaching candidate available last year and I still think he was the best this year, so I'm going with him. I've also been a fan of Eberflus for a while and I think the Pederson hire is a win for Jacksonville. Hackett was good as well. And I do love the Mike McDaniel hire. I'm not sure if I'd call him a 'good' hire like the others, but I'm super intrigued to see how he works out and I could definitely see him ultimately being the best of the bunch. He could just as easily fail miserably though.

The rest I'm uninspired by.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Speak for yourself. Last year I liked the Saleh hire. Stefanski the year prior. Flores/Fangio before that. Vrabel/Reich. It goes on.

All subjective. I loved the Stefanski, Flores, Vrabel, and Reich hirings but hated the Saleh and Fangio hirings. Saleh was never a good x’s and o’s guy like DeMeco Ryan is now. 

Plus, that’s still not a lot of coaches. There’s about 8 openings every year and what you have listed is you like one hiring about every year. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

All subjective. I loved the Stefanski, Flores, Vrabel, and Reich hirings but hated the Saleh and Fangio hirings. Saleh was never a good x’s and o’s guy like DeMeco Ryan is now. 

Plus, that’s still not a lot of coaches. There’s about 8 openings every year and what you have listed is you like one hiring about every year. 

Lol, of course it’s subjective. I said I didn’t love any of the hires this year. What about that statement isn’t subjective? Am I required to love x number of coach hires per season?