Ryan Grigson Hired - Senior Role In Football Personel

gopherwrestler

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:
Great insight as to how Grissom views this role. 

On Grigson’s way out, he was vilified by Colts players such as Reggie Wayne and Pat McAfee, who described him as arrogant and gruff and said the firing was long overdue. Others blamed him for not protecting 2012 No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck, who retired last season because of yet another injury, this time an ankle.

Never mind that Grigson won Sporting News Executive of the Year in 2013 and produced three straight 11-5 seasons before his two 8-8 campaigns with no playoffs.

Andrew Berry, who had just taken the job as Vice President of Player Personnel with the Browns, persuaded Grigson to come to Cleveland under new team president Sashi Brown as a senior personnel executive.

"I knew he’d be a great fit within the organization and with the existing group,'' Berry told cleveland.com. "I knew he had top-notch integrity and knew he was really good at his job.''

Grigson and Berry, a seven-year personnel man for the Colts, had hit it off in Grigson’s first year as GM in Indy, and became extremely close. Berry was a 25-year-old west coast scout living in San Jose at the time, and Grigson convinced him to move to Indy as Pro Scouting Coordinator.

"I say to him jokingly sometimes, you’re just getting even with me,'' Grigson said. "I get it.''

He’s determined not to let Berry make the same mistakes he made in Indy, especially failing to build a stronger offensive line sooner to protect Luck, who was hit 118-plus times from 2012-16, most of any QB in football, according to Sharp Football. Luck played with a lacerated kidney in 2015 and sat out 2017 with a shoulder injury before retiring prior to last season with an ankle injury that failed to heal properly.

"It’s one thing he’ll readily admit is that he wishes he would’ve accomplished that a little bit better when Andrew was there,'' said Berry. "It’s something he really pounded the table about here in the offseason, the importance of [o-line quality and depth] to our long-term success.''

"Ryan cares about the people that he works with,'' Berry said. "He’s very passionate and hyper-competitive. And he’s a very demanding boss, but I actually view that in a good way. [The young scouts] got it from Ryan, but we’re thankful now because it instilled a discipline that’s enabled us to be better at our jobs.''

"It’s not like I’m Jack the Ripper,'' Grigson said. "Regardless of the mistakes I’ve made, I’ve been in this league a long time, with four different teams, and I’ve really only had a handful of losing seasons, like three, including that year in Cleveland (0-16) that I wasn’t part of the draft or free agency. I’m not perfect as a football man but I at least know what it’s supposed to look like and really feel like.''

"I’m an open book,'' he said. "I have no shame, I’m fine with who I am, and the past is the past. I still feel like I did some really good things, and it’s over. I’m sinking my teeth into something now that I’m so excited about and I love the challenge.''

How ex-Colts GM Ryan Grigson has rebounded by helping Andrew Berry transform the Browns & avoid his mistakes - cleveland.com

Just a couple highlights I enjoyed reading. Pretty good write-up there.

• Like 2

I honestly believe Grigson is here to help take over the drafting part of it that Spielman was part of, but less control. He has a ton of scouting experience, going through player reports, and all of that Jazz. Here are a list of some players he was most likely apart of.

Rams 1999-2003 (national scout)
Torry Holt
Dre Bly
Brian Young (Saints Defensive Assistant since 2011)
Adam Archuleta
Ryan Pickett

Eagles 2004-2011
Deshaun Jackson
Brent Celek
Trevor Laws (Apple Valley Wrestling Champ :) )
Quienton Demps

King Dunlap
LeSaun McCoy

Starting in 2010 he was the Eagles Director of Player Personel
Draft:
Brandon Graham
Nate Allen
Mike Kafka
Kurt Coleman
Dion Lewis
Jason Kelce

Roster Moves:
End of the McNabb Era
Vince Young
Ronnie Brown
Evan Mathis
Nnamdi Asomugha
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

So the story on him was he was fairly decent and moved up the line at a decent clip. He really may have had just one bad stop and it was with the Colts.

Happy to see FF Vikings fans are taking the news better than Vikings twitter. KAM will need solid people that will provide insight and can bounce ideas off. No GM has a prefect record. If did there would be no way they will be available to hire. I don't care about the hire as long KAM is truly making the decisions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Happy to see FF Vikings fans are taking the news better than Vikings twitter. KAM will need solid people that will provide insight and can bounce ideas off. No GM has a prefect record. If did there would be no way they will be available to hire. I don't care about the hire as long KAM is truly making the decisions. 

You can't judge a guy who certainly appears to have taken responsibility for his mistakes.  He ain't the Matt Nagy of GMs.  And in the end, he won't be making the decisions, he'll just provide his opinion and likely advise more on GM duties.

Sorry to be brash but, I can't take anyone's opinion seriously if they are coming out saying how this is such a horrible hire, such a huge mistake, what is Kwesi doing??!

Grigson is going to be a senior consultant to Kwesi, the SAME role he had essentially to Andrew Barry and the Browns the past couple of years. Kwesi was there, he saw how valuable Grigson was to Barry and sees VALUE in bringing him over. 

Grigson has been around the block. He has deep league connections, he would be a great conduit for trade discussions, also someone who has been in Kwesi's seat, has made multiple decisions and have SEEN how those decisions have turned out, right or wrong. Someone in an advisory role who has this wealth of knowledge, and who been humbled in failure, is a great asset to Kwesi and the Vikings. 

Kwesi has said this before, a successful franchise is all about taking information from all sources, combining them into an aggregate, and making the best decision possible at the time, with the most information available at your disposal. 

To me, on the totem pole of importance, this hire ranks towards the bottom. The decision makers are already part of the org: Kwesi, K/O, Monnens, Stephenson, Brz, etc. Adding additional opinions from different viewpoints only helps the decision making process. The effort towards alignment and collaboration is a welcomed sight! Welcome to 2022, Minnesota Vikings. I'm glad you are able to join the rest of us in this new world. 

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 4