USFL thread

Malfatron

The United States Football League is a planned professional American football league that is currently scheduled to begin play on April 16, 2022.

The United States Football League or USFL will take its next crucial step in its highly anticipated comeback on February 22 with its inaugural “player selection meeting” or “draft”

Similar to the XFL draft in 2020, the USFL draft will move in a “snake” format for each phase, in which the draft order reversed with each round. The draft order was shuffled for each phase as predetermined through lotteries. A draft pool of over 3,000 eligible players will be available for the USFL’s coaches.

Phase 1: quarterback selections 
Phase 2: offensive skill positions (other quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends)—10 rounds
Phase 3: offensive linemen (offensive tackles, guards, and centers)—10 rounds
Phase 4: defensive front seven players (defensive linemen and linebackers)—10 rounds
Phase 5: defensive backs (cornerbacks and safeties)—10 rounds
Phase 6: open draft (any position)—30 rounds. Special teams players (including long snapper, punter, placekicker) have no separate position phase and are relegated to the open pool.

Player Salaries: 

According to USFL News players will make an average of 45k for the season not including the teams $600 a week pre-season. Practice squad players will earn about 15K on average for the season. The USFL also promises victory bonuses rumored to be $850 a player.

The USFL is scheduled to be broadcast on FOX and NBC and has received heavy investments from Foxsports. 

Key Notes: My favorite team is the Pittsburgh Maulers. Definitely the best name of the bunch. Pittsburgh is a good football city. I haven't been a recent fan of the Steelers but that was mostly because of Big Ben. I enjoyed the Steelers defense in the 90s. 

The Michigan Panthers has Jeff Fisher as their coach, which is hilarious. I have decided that they are going to be the "team i love to hate". It works because Michigan is a natural rivalry to me and they are in the same division as the Maulers.

TEAMS

New Jersey Generals

NEW JERSEY GENERALS

Michigan Panthers

MICHIGAN PANTHERS

Philadelphia Stars

PHILADELPHIA STARS

Pittsburgh Maulers

PITTSBURGH MAULERS

Birmingham Stallions

BIRMINGHAM STALLIONS

Houston Gamblers

HOUSTON GAMBLERS

New Orleans Breakers

NEW ORLEANS BREAKERS

• Like 1

I'm happy to support any new (or rebooted) league that gives more players the chance to do what they love. That goes double if the football league in question focuses on football, and its games are decided by the players rather than the officials.

I don't expect it to last but I'll enjoy it while it's here! 🍻

• Like 2

The USFL's inaugural draft begins tomorrow and will go through Wednesday. Teams will select players snake-style, and the pool has been narrowed down from thousands to about 500.

The USFL will allow players to join their league as long as they have graduated high school by 2020. The USFL also has a program to help players continue pursuing an associate, bachelor’s or master’s degree through a program with Strayer and Capella University. SO, a college football player who may be having a tough time with the world of college football may see this as a viable alternative to continue getting an education while also being paid to play football.

This may not be the ultimate downfall of college football, but it could become something to pay attention to for players sitting in the transfer portal. And when the XFL starts back up again in 2023, tentatively, another potential alternative could come into play.